Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-11-2013, 02:59 PM

Default Tracking Drums with PreSonus Firestudio Project

Hi Everyone, i've recently purchased the Firestudio Project with Pro Tools 10 and various mics to track drums at my house.

I'm having trouble getting Protools to recognize the inputs the way I'd like them, right now I need to following plugged in and able to track simultaneously:

1) Snare
2) Bass
3) Tom 1
4) Tom 2
5) Overhead Left
6) Overhead Right

I ran through the basic setup guide that came with Pro Tools and was able to make a starter recording with just two mics. When I try to set it up toward six or eight I run into problems with the hardware setup and assigning inputs.

Also, this may be unrelated but when I have armed to record, I'll press play or the space bar and the stop, play, and record buttons all light up and nothing happens.

If anyone could give me a step-by-step set of directions to setting this up I'd really appreciate it. I have minimal experience with recording software but all i want to be able to do is track so someone else can do the mixing.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Tracking Drums with PreSonus Firestudio Project

Welcome,

First off, you should read this:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

It is the 'Help us Help you' thread.

That will provide you with links to system optimizations, and information you should include in your posts.

Secondly, Pro Tools has a reference manual that will have details on how to properly set up your I/O.

My first guess is that you do not have your I/O assigned properly in the 'Setup' menu. Also make sure you have the correct 'Playback Engine' running.

As I'm sure you're realizing, Pro Tools is NOT plug and play, it is professional software that requires patience and studying. You have to be willing to pull your hair out every once and a while. The reference manual is huge, but has the majority of the answers you require.

Good luck.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors