Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2002, 05:00 PM

Default Recovering a playlist from an older version of a session.

Looking for advice...here's what I need to do and what I was going to try:

I have a session where I have done various punchins and editting on a guitar track. I want to keep that track but also recover a playlist from an older version of the same session. The current session should have almost all the audio files needed by the older playlist. There are a few I removed, but can get them from the older session as well.

I'd like to do it using the Import Track function. The catch is that I'd like to avoid a bunch of duplicate audio files. Here's what I was going to try (note that all track disk allocations are in the default 'Audio Files' folder under the session folder, and both old and new versions are from the same disk):

1. Ensure that all audio files needed by the old playlist are in the Audio Files folder of the current session.

2. Put a renamed copy of the older session into the current session folder (remember that it is allocated to the Audio Files folder in its current session directory).

3. Import the old track from the old session specifying the 'Refer to source Media' option.

I'm hoping that this will properly handlethe fact that the old and new sessions are using the same Audio Files folder.

Natuarally I plan to have a safe copy if this doesn't work the way I planned [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . The only thing I'm wonderring about is whether the disk allocation of the imported track will recognize that it's actually the same as the current sessions default, or if it will store it as a full path or something.

Thanks in advance for any advise, or of course, a better approach to doing this.

Tom
Old 08-15-2002, 06:11 AM
Avid

Default Re: Recovering a playlist from an older version of a session.

Quote:
Originally posted by tld:
The only thing I'm wonderring about is whether the disk allocation of the imported track will recognize that it's actually the same as the current sessions default, or if it will store it as a full path or something.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">-The Disk Allocation for any imported track(s) will be the same directory to which the session file is saved. However, please note that this only effects any new audio recorded to the track...it has no bearing on the location of any files/regions used in the Playlist that you imported. To verify the locations of these files, choose "Show Full Pathnames" the Audio Regions List menu. (If you choose "Refer To Source Media" in the Import Tracks window and all the regions/files are available, no extraneous copies will be generated by Pro Tools)

-To switch the destination folder of any track, open the Setups>Disk Allocation window.

Brent
Old 08-15-2002, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Recovering a playlist from an older version of a session.

Thanks Brent, that's pretty much what I thought. It looks like I don't need to recover the playlist after all, but it's good to be clear on how that works.

Tom