Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 06:19 PM

Default G5 dual chokes while recording and Power Book does

Hi there,

Just hooked a newly configured G5 Dual 2.7/8Gb (OS 10.4.6) to a Digi 002 (PTLE 7.1) and it chokes on a session consisting of 5 audio tracks (previously recorded) when we tried to add an external keyboard part via recording its audio out. Result: Pro Tools buffer error. Increasing the buffer size from 256 to 512, 1024 or 2048 failed to fix the problem.

The G5 had previously been used with a Mbox2 which worked fine. G5/Protools I/O settings were changed to reflect the 002 inputs and outs.

In the end we used a Power Book 15/1.67 connected to the 002 and were successful in recording the session.

Anyone here have a suggestion as to what might be the problem and how fix it?

Thanks much,

Robert
Old 08-15-2006, 09:24 PM

Default Re: G5 dual chokes while recording and Power Book does

I have a dual 2.0 with 2gb of ram and a digi 0002 rack and I have the same issues. Sometimes plugs right along and then I have random spikes in cpu whic cause dae audio buffer issues or Pt just shuts down with no pt or osx explanation... I can't seem to get any help with this from anyone... Does anyone know whats going on here?

The Note Music
www.myspace.com/thenotemusic
Dual 2.0Ghz PPC 3gb Ram, Digi 002R
Old 08-15-2006, 10:36 PM

I've heard reports of there being issues when using one of the 2 FW ports on the G5, try switching the port you use.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:40 PM

I'll try that, thanks.

The Note Music
Old 08-15-2006, 11:43 PM

I do wish I could get some Digi support with it though... They always just tell me to trash dae prefs... etc. etc... I feel like there are a lot of people out there using my setup and I'm curious to hear if others experience this crashing with no pt Dae buffer explanation or even an osx "pt has unexpectedly crashed"....

I will try that firewire port switch though, thanks

The Note Music
Old 08-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Avid

Quote:
I do wish I could get some Digi support with it though... They always just tell me to trash dae prefs... etc. etc... I feel like there are a lot of people out there using my setup and I'm curious to hear if others experience this crashing with no pt Dae buffer explanation or even an osx "pt has unexpectedly crashed"....

I will try that firewire port switch though, thanks
The first question we almost always have is - have you tried all the steps in the OS X Setup and General Troubleshooting thread yet?

It's for a reason - a vast majority of problems can be solved by doing everything in that thread and reporting the results.

Did you make sure all plug-ins are updated for PT7 compatibility? That's a huge one.

Are all your energy savers off and processor performance at 'highest'? Another big problem solver.

Both of those are in the list of troubleshooting steps. Start with those and let us know which steps you did or did not do, specifically, and any change in the symptoms.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Avid

Default Re: G5 dual chokes while recording and Power Book

Also on G5 towers, using the front firewire port to connect the 002 will solve a lot of issues like this.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:55 PM

I have done all of those things except for making sure all my plug-ins are pt 7 compatible.. So heres my next questino... Can a plug-in thats not compatible but not in use in a session cause a crash???
Example. I have east wests vapor.. Which is not listed as compatible, but i've had it forever and its in use in a lot of my older sessions. I'm not using it on many if any new sessions, but its still in my plug in list...
Other than that I pretty much have the basics... Waves gold fully up to date. Auto tune, antares tube, NI batterey, Reason 3, Izotope spectron, and the digi music production pack, plus smack and synchronic. If anyone sees anything here they know to be not compatible please let me know...

ps... I just upgraded to 3gb of ram today so i'm hoping this will help with some of the crashes, i'll let you know soon.. Also, i'll try using the front port.. Kind of a hassle though to have a bunch of stuff sticking out there, but if it works it'll be worth it..

Thanks for all the help.

The Note Music
Old 08-16-2006, 11:56 PM

Ok, fine, so i also hadn't done a few others i realized after really looking at it... A few issues, the file to disable nap everytime i login doesn't work... And after I did all that, i thought.. well, i might as well try a new user too.. SO i did all that, and pro-tools won't even open... click it and get, before anything else, "the app pro tools unexpec quit..." if any digi people want me to send them the report from it I'd be happy to .... so... now what?

The Note Music
Old 08-17-2006, 12:02 AM

Thankfully pt still opens in my original user account... Any suggestions?

The Note Music