Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2015, 05:38 PM

Default PT 11 - Punching in/out same track with Apollo ?

Is there an issue with this? using Console to route.... I am trying out my new apollo quad firewire (pc). Simply recording a vocal track.. done.. but going back to punch in a spot.. how does one hear the recorded vocals? The track itself has to be in record mode and muted for it to work. How are people punching in/out on the same track without interrupting work flow? If you unmute during record, you get a doubled effect..

I've researched, and heard mutetone plugin is a solution.. but they don't make a pc version.
So, i've found this solution:
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...oring-off.html

Is this really the lengths we have to go to to simply punch in/out using the Apollo?

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts.. have vocal session tomorrow and may have to plug a digi-002 back up just to keep things running smoothly for now! Don't want to! :)
Old 11-17-2015, 06:04 PM

Default Re: PT 11 - Punching in/out same track with Apollo ?

Make sure you using Low latency monitoring (LLM) in Pro Tools and the tracks you are recording to are output to Mon L-R. Make sure Apollo is in Pro Tools Mode.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the reply- Yes I am doing all those things. Consensus over at UA seems to be that it's an issue with PT not allowing us to disable software monitoring by default.

Are any of you punching in and out on the same track using PT and Apollo interface and NOT having to jump through these hoops mentioned in my post? According to the UA forum, the only other workaround is

"Use a playback track with the good vocals parts and route it to the virtual channels, then cue mixed to the artists headphones. Then use a muted record track to record the vocals and route the console's incoming mic channel to the headphones as well!"

This just seems absurd to have to do all of this to punch in and out?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:17 PM

Same track. Set up LLM properly, pre-roll set to 2 bars, Quick punch (so u can pull from either side of punch point). Highlight punch point. It will play track up until punch point goes into record. I never have any plugins inserted on tracks I'm recording to.

Or you can do old school if this is not working for you. Keep a separate open track below any track you are recording. Record punch points to that open track. Hit mute on original track when punch point is coming up.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the help, though it seems what you're describing is just how to punch in. I have Low Latency Monitoring on in PT.

I'm hearing doubled effects when it punches in.. because the record input on PT isn't auto-muted when I'm recording.. so I'm hearing both PT and CONSOLE doubling... but..when I mute the PT rec enabled track .. there goes my original take's playback..

I've gotten the mute trigger comp limiter/key/bus workaround to work, but it records an audio file of tone to it's respective track and it seems that every single punch in I'm suppose to go delete the files on that track first that it's recorded because it auto-mutes my vocal track if something is present on the mutetrigger2 track.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:38 AM

ahhh...So. interestingly enough ... I can now punch in /out same track.. no prob.. no latency.. as long as I'm output to MON MIX L/R.. turns out low latency monitoring in PT works for channels outputting to 1-2 which works fine if I'm not doing any headphone mixes... and everyone is listening to mon mix.. but I had it set up so that all my tracks were bussed to a stereo bus.. then output to a virtual channel in console.. where I could have the DAW fed to any headphone mix rather than just my mon mix.. turns out THIS is where the problem lies because there's no Low Latency Monitoring if outputing to a bus...

how do you hear your daw back in console for a alt headphone mix and still punch in/out without pulling your hair out? haha.. :) I'm dying to know! :)
Old 11-19-2015, 09:27 AM

Don't have an Apollo, but can you put a send from your record channel to the virtual console with a Master fader to control the headphones level?