Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2002, 08:54 AM

Default Pro Tools 6.0 for OSX

Right now, the only thing holding me back from switching to OSX is Pro Tools. I am happy to see that Digi is releasing v6.0, but once again, no Beat Detective in non-TDM versions??? Are you kidding me??? What is the reason for this? I wouldn't give up my Digi001 for anything (well, maybe an HD system), but I think this is rediculous. I am a Hip-Hop producer, and a lot of my work is sample-based, so chopping up drum loops is the norm for me. Can someone PLEASE enlighten me to the Digidesign train-of-thought on this?

Five5Music
Old 10-21-2002, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 6.0 for OSX

nothing against Beat Detective, but there are so many other ways to work woth samples and chop up loops in PT. Between 'Identify Beat', Separate your regions with 'tab to transients', 'shuffle mode' to move your slices around, 'Quantize Region' to line up to the beat, not to mention Recycle (which is also very easy to work with outside PT), I don't understand how something like Beat Detective appears to be the end-all of lacking features.

I also do a lot of sample work and I now do all my timestretching and loop work in PT. It's actually very easy and it sounds great.

I used to crave Beat Detective as well, but after some experimenting, I realised I can do so much already, all within PT.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 6.0 for OSX

Quote:
no Beat Detective in non-TDM versions??? Are you kidding me??? What is the reason for this? Can someone PLEASE enlighten me to the Digidesign train-of-thought on this?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the train of thought is that if digidesign put all the features of Pro Tools into PTLE, there would be little reason for people to upgrade from the LE version to the much more expensive TDM version and the company would make less money.