Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 02-28-2017, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Best EQ Plugin(s)

To add my 2 cents.
Itīs always the question of use...has it to be really surgical or more coloring?
Just because it always does something to the material. EQ plug ins even can de-color material which in most cases you do not want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I'm a big fan of Sonnox and MDW.
Probably the perfect pair in reference to the question above.

As for the initial question of the OP like all the others here I have got tons of EQ plug ins over the years (most of the Waves, MCDSP,
UAD, PA etc and way more I would/do actually need...) but if I had to choose to only keep one single EQ plug in, believe it or not,
I would go for this one.
https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/iq-eq/

Just because this is one of the very rare EQ plug ins which combines being really surgical and still adding a slight shimmer/color to
the material if being used in the 4x+ oversampled mode. In the live (zero latency)+the basic 2x oversampled mode itīs more a surgical one.
Further you get a very useful and very well working dynamic section you can turn on/off per band and tweak very well all within this plug in.

Itīs not the most affordable EQ plug in ($135.- for registered audiodeluxe users) but itīs definitely worth the price in the long run as you can
use the HOFA IQ-EQ for almost everything on most tracks in your session.
Once you got used to this plug in you donīt want to miss it anymore. Useable for single tracks, busses and pretty useful on the master as well.
Still kinda underrated EQ imo.

https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/hofa-iq-eq

Btw made by german studio guys for personal usage only originally the plug ins from HOFA have become quite popular in Europe and they always
offer a 14 days fully functional demo version and two licenses (machine or/and USB) for every plug in finally.

...Yeah, I forgot to mention that I have nothing to do with HOFA personally. Just being a fan of some of their plug ins.

Last edited by VRW; 02-28-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
In my research on EQ plugins I've found that the DMG EQuilibrium is the closest to being the highest praised EQ plugin I've read about thus far. It apparently can do everything the other DMG EQs can do, being the flagship model, and more. Do you guys agree with this, or have other must have favorites?

As far as affordable EQs go, The PSP McQ and 6144 EQ get high praise. I bought the McQ lastnight cuz it was the last day of a sale that jad the plug at only $20 vs the normal $70. The 6144 is also really cheap at $40.

I'm more interested in the one EQ you couldn't live without, rather than the best EQ band for the buck. But if you have a suggestion that includes one of each I'm all ears.

Thanks.
EQuilibrium (and Dave Gamble of DMG Audio) ROCK! It is without question the best sounding, most flexible, most scenario useful (Mixing, Mastering, Restoration) EQ I've ever used ... and I've used a lot. [fabfilter, IK MultiMedia, Kush, McDSP, Oxford, Sonnox, UAD, Waves to name a few EQ Only plug companies products I own].

I've only recently purchased/switched to EQuilibrium this calendar year, and on the project I'm working on now I've completely removed ALL instances of fabfilter Q2 replacing that with EQuilibrium in the mix, and am using EQuilibrium in the Mastering process as well. The leap in clarity and punch as a result of the replacement of Q2 with EQuilibrium I would not have believed had I not experienced it myself.

I continue to use EQuilibrium along with Kush's Clariphonic, Electra, UAD's Chandler, Neve 1073 MkII, Pultecs, channel strips (Neve 88RS & API Vision), Plugin Alliance's bx_console coupled with Kush's Omegas and real Neve 1073s, API 550As and Summit EQs.

If you're looking for "one EQ to rule them all" ... I'd highly recommend trying DMGs EQuilibrium. I'm blown away!

(I have no affiliation with DMG Audio, am not a paid actor - just a new fan of the man and his products)
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Microphones: Telefunken, Neumann, Shure, AKG
Old 02-28-2017, 01:43 AM

Sonnox actually has four different eq:s in one plugin, plus fifth if you have the dsp license and have bought the gml option
Old 02-28-2017, 03:03 AM

I used the MDW on everything, but then 2 years ago MDW got hit by an fault in update... spikes al over the place... unworkable.
So after some tests I went to SSL X-EQ, best EQ I've used.
Now the MDW bug seems to be fixed and now I switch between the 2

MTRX v.2.4.2.2 + dante card + madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MTRX-II v.1.0.5.2 + TB3 + 1x AD mic 8ch + 1x DA 8ch
+ madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MOM v.1.0.1.4 by DAD

Genelec 1237A Sam, Avantone active mixcubes
LA2a (1968), 1073 pre/eq, Neve RNHP, Wacom Intuos Pro
Furman P1400 AR E Power conditioner

Live-rack:
1x HD Native TB, 4x 192 I/O (64ch AD)
8x Yamaha HA-8 micpre, Rosendahl mif4,
Genelec 1031A, Presonus Monitor Station
Old 02-28-2017, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Sonnox actually has four different eq:s in one plugin, plus fifth if you have the dsp license and have bought the gml option
FYI - Dave Gamble was on the Oxford team and the 4 Sonnox EQ's are available as part of/within EQILIBRIUM.

Just an FYI ...
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Old 02-28-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
To add my 2 cents.
Itīs always the question of use...has it to be really surgical or more coloring?
Just because it always does something to the material. EQ plug ins even can de-color material which in most cases you do not want.

Probably the perfect pair in reference to the question above.

As for the initial question of the OP like all the others here I have got tons of EQ plug ins over the years (most of the Waves, MCDSP,
UAD, PA etc and way more I would/do actually need...) but if I had to choose to only keep one single EQ plug in, believe it or not,
I would go for this one.
https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/iq-eq/

Just because this is one of the very rare EQ plug ins which combines being really surgical and still adding a slight shimmer/color to
the material if being used in the 4x+ oversampled mode. In the live (zero latency)+the basic 2x oversampled mode itīs more a surgical one.
Further you get a very useful and very well working dynamic section you can turn on/off per band and tweak very well all within this plug in.

Itīs not the most affordable EQ plug in ($135.- for registered audiodeluxe users) but itīs definitely worth the price in the long run as you can
use the HOFA IQ-EQ for almost everything on most tracks in your session.
Once you got used to this plug in you donīt want to miss it anymore. Useable for single tracks, busses and pretty useful on the master as well.
Still kinda underrated EQ imo.

https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/hofa-iq-eq

Btw made by german studio guys for personal usage only originally the plug ins from HOFA have become quite popular in Europe and they always
offer a 14 days fully functional demo version and two licenses (machine or/and USB) for every plug in finally.

...Yeah, I forgot to mention that I have nothing to do with HOFA personally. Just being a fan of some of their plug ins.
I love the IQ-EQ from HOFA. There's so many things it can do as you mention - I love how it can go to being a dynamic eq on a per band basis. This eq has saved a number of unusable articulations in EWQLSO due to poor sampling technique.

A good Pultec-style eq is a must have for the toolbox. Believe it or not I kind of like the iK ones.

For all the hype about them or maybe it's the implementation that I use (the NI one) but I have trouble getting a good sound out of a Massive Passive eq.

Three others I use but they're kind of limited are the Waves Abbey Roads RS56, Redd 37/51 and TG12345. Yes I know the latter two are 'channel strips' but I use them when I need that 'British' sound.

I almost forgot - the Tilt EQ from HOFA. Freebie unless you want the dynamics part. Sort of a one knob tone control with tweakable center freq. and hpf/lpf if needed.

QAPLA!
Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 AM

FabFilter, EQ III and Waves Puigtech are all over every mix I do. Really, I could do everything with EQ III and the cheapo Bomb Factory Pultec, but FF is just too nice(great display) and the Puigtech is silky smooth(BF Pultec is a little gritty, which sometimes is wanted)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-01-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treason View Post
EQuilibrium (and Dave Gamble of DMG Audio) ROCK! It is without question the best sounding, most flexible, most scenario useful (Mixing, Mastering, Restoration) EQ I've ever used ... and I've used a lot. [fabfilter, IK MultiMedia, Kush, McDSP, Oxford, Sonnox, UAD, Waves to name a few EQ Only plug companies products I own].

I've only recently purchased/switched to EQuilibrium this calendar year, and on the project I'm working on now I've completely removed ALL instances of fabfilter Q2 replacing that with EQuilibrium in the mix, and am using EQuilibrium in the Mastering process as well. The leap in clarity and punch as a result of the replacement of Q2 with EQuilibrium I would not have believed had I not experienced it myself.

I continue to use EQuilibrium along with Kush's Clariphonic, Electra, UAD's Chandler, Neve 1073 MkII, Pultecs, channel strips (Neve 88RS & API Vision), Plugin Alliance's bx_console coupled with Kush's Omegas and real Neve 1073s, API 550As and Summit EQs.

If you're looking for "one EQ to rule them all" ... I'd highly recommend trying DMGs EQuilibrium. I'm blown away!

(I have no affiliation with DMG Audio, am not a paid actor - just a new fan of the man and his products)
Can you elaborate on how one digital EQ is more "clear" and "punchy" than another, assuming you do your best to replicate a curve?
Old 03-01-2017, 02:54 PM

There's more to an eq. than just the curve! EQuilibrium is very good as is Sonnox, especially the GML version. I still use Q 10 and if I want color. I've also been known to drop in a character plug-in such as Puigtech and leave it flat.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Can you elaborate on how one digital EQ is more "clear" and "punchy" than another, assuming you do your best to replicate a curve?
I'm running large mixes 300+ voices. I'm a firm believer in the cumulative effect, that being the more instances you have of anything, the character of that anything is more obvious in the final product.

I used fabfilter Q2 as a surgical EQ because it does have a great UX. That's it best feature, IMHO. However, it is very limited in terms of its processing options. You have 1. Zero Latency 2. Natural Phase and 3. Linrae Phase (with 5 preset buffer size options on this choice only). Because of this relatively few choices and I believe only IIR processing, it has (IMHO) a hashy cloudy sound that when multiplied cumulatively, really takes the punch and clarity away. It's not subtle.

Conversely, DMG Audio's Equilibrium has many processing options, starting with IIR and FIR. I've been using it's FIR options, and a combination of it's Zero Latency Analogue Kaiser with an 8K buffer window and 8x Impulse padding and it's Free (phase free) processing choices. I have way more control, and because of that (and it's variety) I can reduce the cumulative effects (because I use a variety of processing options) and DMGs FIR processing appears to be friendlier with transients (hence the punch).

In terms of your curve question - my experiment was to replicate the fabfilter created curves exactly. When I moved into DMG's FIR modes I left fabfilter in the dust. I can't go back. I hear fabfilter now ... and other then using it as a deliberate effect, I won't touch it. That's my opinion and what works for me. YMMV

Now not everyone will hear what I hear, nor care. It's personal choice. I like big, bold, clear and aggressive mixes - so a cloudy transient stomping EQ goes against what I consider good.

Try it for yourself. I would not have believed this had I not spent some time with Equilibrium. Use your idea of replicating the same curve, try the different modes and see if you don't find one you like better. If you don't, worst case you lost a couple hours. If you do (as I did), it will drastically change your sound. Clear and Punchy.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Waterstreet DMG EQuilibrium.jpg (48.6 KB, 0 views)