Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2010, 02:44 PM

Default Who likes math?

I sure don't, but for some strange reason feel the need to check this one out:

Is there reasonable way to determine what overall affect, a specific change in: either a boost or cut in gain, of a frequency and bandwidth, will have on its' output signal?

I think that's pretty clear. There's got to be formula. I dropped production and engineering 1st semester in favor of composition. Now I'm rolling in dough, and have nothing but time to sit around dreaming up ways to make my life even easier.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Who likes math?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khatru View Post
I sure don't, but for some strange reason feel the need to check this one out:

Is there reasonable way to determine what overall affect, a specific change in: either a boost or cut in gain, of a frequency and bandwidth, will have on its' output signal?

I think that's pretty clear. There's got to be formula. I dropped production and engineering 1st semester in favor of composition. Now I'm rolling in dough, and have nothing but time to sit around dreaming up ways to make my life even easier.
Look up fourier synthesis. Start with that. It explains alot of interesting things such as that a square wave is actually just a bunch of sine waves (the fundamental, and then partials which square off the edges). It will teach you how certain waveforms will synthesis to form one distinct sound. Its REALLY cool.

Finally, yes i love math But i'm not good at it lol

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 11-14-2010, 06:17 PM

That is cool Nick, and way over my head. It seems to be based on the function of time though. I'm looking for uhhm...well, here's an example:

Say I've got a vocal part nicely embedded in a mix, and I realize at some point that I want to cut 200Hz, by 3db, with a q of 80, and do so by plunking an eq on the track and setting up those parameters.

The question is: what affect does that have on the 'volume' of that vocal part. I've scooped out a bunch of stuff, I want to know how much stuff I scooped out. And, can it be translated into db's so that an intellegent volume adjustment on the track be 'expected' to compensate?

I'm pretty sure that there would be too much other 'interferrance' going on in a mix or even a track, for that matter, for my question to have any practicle application, but my right brain is jonesing for some kind of useless linear theoretical fix.

Here check this out: what if I had a sine wave all alone, and applied the same parameters as above?

There, that might make my question easier to answer.

Dave
Old 11-14-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
The question is: what affect does that have on the 'volume' of that vocal part. I've scooped out a bunch of stuff, I want to know how much stuff I scooped out. And, can it be translated into db's so that an intellegent volume adjustment on the track be 'expected' to compensate?
The customary tools for accomplishing this are mounted to the sides of your skull.

You've been a success in the composing realm. Don't "overthink" the engineering realm. There's enough of those kind of people already.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-14-2010, 08:57 PM

I thought that's what meters are for especially the meters inside EQ plugins Math makes my head hurt(except when I am counting money coming in)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-14-2010, 09:45 PM

Ears and meters will get you there.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
You've been a success in the composing realm.
Actually, from a monetary standpoint - that was a joke. A sort of Mahlerian C# minor slow movement kind of joke.

And yes, I will only ever depend on my ears. Meters are fun to look at but that's about it for me.

But Really, there's got to a formula. There's always a formula. Tell you what: I'll go find one somewhere and post it.

Work, work, work.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Actually, from a monetary standpoint - that was a joke. A sort of Mahlerian C# minor slow movement kind of joke.

And yes, I will only ever depend on my ears. Meters are fun to look at but that's about it for me.

But Really, there's got to a formula. There's always a formula. Tell you what: I'll go find one somewhere and post it.

Work, work, work.
That's known as "taking one for the team"

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 AM

http://www.dsprelated.com/dspbooks/mdft/

:)
Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imi View Post
Cool and all, but how will it make my mixes sound better?

nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet