Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-06-2000, 03:52 AM

Default PT forgetting where files are

I have had a situation where on one of our systems, PT seems to be intermittently "forgetting" where its audio files are, then remembering. Very rarely, but it's happened a couple of times.

For example, I opened up a drive brought in by a client, session couldn't find files. Resolved the session, ok now. Quit, reopened, it asked where files were again. In another instance, (when troubleshooting), I moved a drive with a resolved session from the Adaptec port to the mac scsi port (G3 beige). When I opened up the session, it now couldn't find the files.

This came out of a day where in one case I opened up a session, and it would open blank, with no tracks or files. Yet if I put the drive on another system, it would open intact. Brought the drive back, it was ok.

I'm thinking it might be the scsi card or cable, but I'd like to know one thing - could a missing "pin" or line cause a problem like this? How does PT or the OS "remember" where files are? Is there a particular "scsi line" that's involved?

DC
Old 07-06-2000, 08:59 AM

Default Re: PT forgetting where files are

sounds like the classic PT "where is the file..." situation to me, to which I still say "I don't know, you're the one who created the file, don't you know where it is?"

until digi builds a database into PT that keeps track of the files using UFNs, I'm afraid that's not gonna change. I'm perplexed about the session that opened blank, though. it should've at least asked you where the audio was before it opened blank.
Old 07-06-2000, 10:41 PM

I haven't had problems with missing audio files, but lately I've had Fade Files go missing every day. I've let PT recreate the missing fades, double checked disc allocations, resaved, quit, and the reopened immediately, but still the same Fades are missing. I don't get it. What am I missing?

DC
Old 07-07-2000, 10:55 PM

I`m also frequently missing fade files,not
as much as Dave ,but enough to annoy...
Maybe having too many not in use fades is
the cause. It`s common for me to have well
over a thousand fade files in a session.
As of yet, never ran into the disappearing
audio problem...

Eric

www.peaksound.com
Old 07-08-2000, 12:25 AM
Avid

DigiTranslator has a bug I reported to Digi where after you convert an OMF to PT, if you select a fade in a track and delete it - all your fades in the track disappear. Undo and they all come back. OMF tool does not have this prob. For now I am back on OMF Tool.

------------------
Old 07-10-2000, 02:05 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Doug Sjostrom:
DigiTranslator has a bug I reported to Digi where after you convert an OMF to PT, if you select a fade in a track and delete it - all your fades in the track disappear. Undo and they all come back. OMF tool does not have this prob. For now I am back on OMF Tool.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure yet why this is happening, but it appears that saving and reopening the session after the fades are rebuilt solves the problem.

------------------
Paul Greyson
Digidesign Engineering
Old 07-13-2000, 09:19 AM
Avid

I am suspecting that session files in some of these situations are somehow getting corrupted. As far as the session that opens blank, the resource fork of the session file must have gotten damaged in some way (you get this same behavior when you remove this information from a file using ResEdit).

Try using Track Transfer and move the tracks into a new session and see if you still get the "where is..." dialogue box. If you are getting this on more than one occasion, try rebuilding your Desktop File (command+Option while the computer boots).

Brent
Old 07-14-2000, 01:23 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
I am suspecting that session files in some of these situations are somehow getting corrupted. As far as the session that opens blank, the resource fork of the session file must have gotten damaged in some way (you get this same behavior when you remove this information from a file using ResEdit).

Try using Track Transfer and move the tracks into a new session and see if you still get the "where is..." dialogue box. If you are getting this on more than one occasion, try rebuilding your Desktop File (command+Option while the computer boots).

Brent
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But here's the weird thing - in this situation (where the session opened blank), when I moved the drive to a different PT system, it opened up fine.

The question I have is this - COULD this be due to a scsi problem? Cable? Card?

dc