Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 04:22 PM

Default DIGI SOFTWARE LOSES COMMUNICATION WITH DIGI002R

I bought a Digi 002 after having a 001 for several years, I also bought a Session 8 and several software items from you. I have had nothing but problem after problem with the Digi 002 and after reading the forum you provide on your website I'm not by myself. I probably sold 10 to 15 units of the 001 and I AM NOT a dealer. The fact that you used inferior metal as one of the electrical connectors in the power harness really pisses me off. I have been in the middle of recording groups and the thing just stops seeing the hardware, if I had not gone to the forum and looked for people having the same problem I would never have figured it out. I reloaded windows a million times, reloaded my chipset drivers and protools thinking it was software or my computer losing the 1394 port. It wasn't until I realized that it seemed to work after I took it out of the rack and moved it around a little and it would start working that I figured out it was the little bit of vibration that made it work again. I brought it home with me and started troubleshooting it here so I could watch it work over hours and keep an eye on the green 1394 port to see when it cut off - usually its life span was around 15 to 30 minutes, then when it did cut off I simply tapped it on the top or turned the unit over and boom it started working again. You have cost me hours of time and who knows how much money, not to mention the fact that a lot of musicians around my town think I am a dumb ass because I say I have a good recording rig and it turns out crappy with people standing around more than they do recording.
You should have sent an email to all the digi 002 purchasers and inform them of the problem so they would have had an idea of what to do. I sent the first one that I got back because it was dead straight out of the box that should have been a wake up call but since your stuff had always workd so well I was giving it the benefit of doubt. I wished I had sent this one back and not sold my 001 but now I'm stuck with this piece of crap.
I sent an email tho the tech support explaining my problem to then last Saturday around the 24th of May and I have yet to get a response. It's probably because they are overwhelmed with problems. Please don't give me any crap about it being an entry level product, it cost me $1300 US dollars. You sold a better product for $799. In case you don't know you are supposed to improve on later releases not degrade the materials you use in order to save - what 2 or 3 dollars. I have lost all confidence in any new items you release, it will have to be out for a while and pass the consumer test before I ever buy any thing from you again.
I'll do every thing in my power to let every one know that the Digi 002 is one of the worst products that Digidesign has turned out. don't tell me that it must be pretty good because you have sold thousand of units, indeed you may have but you also sold the same thousands of units that FAIL A LOT. By the way that was the response that I got from one of your tech support people instead of being sympathetic to my problem he said "Well it must be good because we have sold thousands of units" - THATS NOT AN ANSWER TO A TECHNICAL PROBLEM. I will also post this on your forum so that everybody that reads it will get the message. I am sure that it will be deleted fairly rapidly so depend on me keeping the message and reposting on a regular basis. THANKS FOR ALL THE PROBLEMS.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: DIGI SOFTWARE LOSES COMMUNICATION WITH DIGI002

Dude, once was enough. Your point was made, and can be read by anyone who reads this forum.

I actually respect Digidesign for quickly solving the issue, and correcting it for those that have problems. I personally have never had the problem (yet, knock wood), but I take comfort in the fact that they will take care of it for free, even though my unit is WAY out of warranty. That, in my opinion, is their way of taking responsibility for the problem. Many, hell, most companies wouldn't even come close. (for example, MOTU, from this thread)

While your attitude might sway some people away from purchasing an 002 product, repeated appearances of it are unnecessary and frankly, annoying.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-06-2005, 07:03 PM

Maybe once is enough for you - you never experienced the problem, when you have four or 5 musicians looking at you like your stupid IT IS A BIG DEAL. The only reason I posted it twice was so the title line would display the problem, and for you information they didn't SOLVE the problem - they just send you another piece of crap harness made of the same material that will fail AGAIN. If it is any interest to you I sent them an email to tech support and have yet to get a response with any ideas or solutions or even telling me to go jump in the lake. They haven't even changed the specs on the ones they are turning out now they just keep producing the known problem. How diligent is that? Unless you have had the problem you have no grounds to tell people that anything is annoying. If it annoys you so much stop reading it. What is annoying is people talking out their but about a problem that they know nothing about. And as far as anyone buying digi products - i would suggest digi over all of them just not the digi002 console or 002R, because they have an inferior design flaw. Only 1 but it is a very important one. All I am saying is it would have been responsible of them to send the people that purchased them an email telling them all they have to do is disconnect the power harness and then reconnect to get the corrosion off of the crappy metal. BTW, the ONLY reason they are extending the power harness warranty is to avoid a class action law suit. There is no other extended warranty in place EXCEPT on that issue. they didn't quickly solve the issue, I sent one back dead out of the box - that should have been an omen - they wanted you to take the top off and do the repair yourself. I bought a new piece of epuipment so I wouldn't have to work on anything - for example the DIGI001, The Session 8. Fifteen years of service - they never failed - I never had to take them apart. I expect quality when I buy form a quality company. I hope this annoys you just as bad as the other one did. Thanks for being the forum POLICE, we would hate for any one to get annoyed by someone elses opinion besides YOURS OF COURSE, and you know what they say about opinions AND SOMETHING ELSE. So with that said you buy just as many DIGI 002s as you want. Just make sure you have plenty of phillips head screwdrivers and time . . . . oh by the way "dude" is a litlle OVERUSED retro don't you think DUDE
Old 06-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Your only email in 2005 to Tech Support was received on 5/30/2005 and the following reply was sent to you on 5/31/2005:
Quote:
Hi,

You need to contact tech support via telephone to set up an RA. They can help you determine if a repair is in order and arrange to have you send your 002 in or send you a repair kit that you can install yourself. Call them at 650 731-6100 they will be happy to assist you. Be sure to select to speak to someone about a repair.

Best regards,
Digidesign Technical Support
You sent if from your FDN.com email address, so the reply would have gone to that address.
There are no emails from your other email address in your product registration and DUC registration.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:01 PM

the reply said 'DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE, THIS IS JUST TELLING YOU WE HAVE RECEIVED YOUR MESSAGE WE WILL BE CONTACTING YOU SOON TO OFFER SOLUTIONS TO YOUR PROBLEMS" DON'T TRY TO FEED ME A BUNCH OF CRAP ABOUT HOW QUICKLY YOU DID YOU JOB - THAT REPLY WAS AUTOMATIC
Old 06-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Administrator

The aut-reply message is what you get when your email is received. The reply that is posted above was sent to you the next day, exactly as quoted above. You can believe it or not, but the reply is still what you need to do if you want to resolve your problem.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:22 PM

annoying.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:51 PM

I found this reply from DigiCS over on the Mac forum:

==============
The original contact was a spring clip style with only a single contact point to the header. While these types of pins are very common in this application and we had not had an issue with them in the past, we have replaced this with a new Molex connector which completely surrounds the contact post and has eliminated the contact resistivity and makes a more positive contact to the post. This new connector was rolled into manufacturing and is the shipping connector on all 002 products.

DigiCS
==============

(Therefore it sounds like they have what is beleived to be a solution to the problem.)

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 06-06-2005, 10:42 PM

Dabe, I understand your frustration, but you really need to call when something this serious happens. Email just doesn't cut it. It sucks even more for me because it's long distance charges (well, USED to suck until I got vonage). But to look at the bright side, I own a Presonus Firestation. It worked for an extremely short while, then never worked again. I spent more time trying to make it work (and looking stupid as well) as I did the 002R. Spent long distance charges, email back and forth. To Presonus credit their tech support also did their best to help. But unfortunately Yamaha also was involved, and the basic problem was never solved, so now I have an overpriced line mixer. At least there is a solution to the 002R. Just gotta cool it and deal with it. Everyone makes mistakes, even companies. Important thing is they rectify the situation, and don't leave you with a dud.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:28 AM

I Checked my email - I did get the auto reply, but I looked through my in box and all the deleted email and there is no email saying to call tech support. I figured it out anyway by myself.

And for all of you who ara ANNOYED BY MY PROBLEM may the wrath of the DIGI god come down on you some day and I can get a little pleasure out of YOUR problems