Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 09-09-2021, 11:24 PM

Default Choosing which license for Crossgrade purchase

Looooongtime reader, second time poster (I think). It says my last visit was in December of 2007 but I’ve been lurking all these years. It’s a testimony to the quality of the DUC that I’ve never needed to directly ask my questions in all that time. Anyway, I have two perpetual licenses on separate iLoks:

PT vanilla 10/11/12, purchased first
PT HD 10/11/12, purchased later, which also includes a vanilla license

I’m considering purchasing the 2 year “crossgrade” license to upgrade my vanilla license but just want to be sure there is a means in the process to select the vanilla license specifically and not end up losing my PT HD license. Can anyone confirm?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered in another thread. It’s late at night and I haven’t been able to find this answer.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Choosing which license for Crossgrade purchase

One quick added detail. When I look at the My Products page on Avid, it shows a field for a crossgrade code only under the PT HD item. The PT 11 bundle item does not have a field to enter the crossgrade code I would expect to be purchasing and applying to that license. There is clear indication that the two items were purchased on different dates.

I’m trying not to lose the HD license or the two licenses on two iLoks situation for the rare case when I hire another editor on a project and need to provide a license. Not to mention wanting to keep HD on my desktop system with the new license used on my laptop.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:53 PM

Whenever you need to surrender a license, the iLok license manager asks you to choose which license you want to surrender. So do not worry about that.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:27 AM

Thanks for responding, Janne. That is reassuring information. Cheers!
Old 09-10-2021, 06:29 AM

No problem. And if you want to be 100% sure, put the HD license on a license key and remove the key from computer when you surrender. You can only surrender a license that is put back into your iLok account cloud.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:49 AM

Great! I already keep them on separate keys. I’m old school and prefer to keep my audio machines off the internet except when absolutely necessary. So that should be very simple for me.