Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2013, 06:26 AM

Default Re: What's missing in PT11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
Apple showed us a thing with the new and free iPad controller for Logic, something missing in PT 11 for sure.
Yep agree but the Neyrinck control works great and they added lots of nice features and frankly looks way better than the Logic X remote. We got Logic X this weekend and I was not that impressed with the iPad GUI but it works perfect. We would easily buy a dedicated PT iPad control in a second if released.

Good post Scotsman

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-31-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Yep agree but the Neyrinck control works great and they added lots of nice features and frankly looks way better than the Logic X remote. We got Logic X this weekend and I was not that impressed with the iPad GUI but it works perfect. We would easily buy a dedicated PT iPad control in a second if released.

Good post Scotsman
There are a lot of remote out now. Presonus has some nice ones also. I realize Avid was devoting a ton of resources to coding PT11 but a transport control app for phones would be nice. As would a enhanced pad apps for both studio and live work. Its also possible by using HTML5 that they would not be locked to one particular device vender.

Not wanting to take any bread from Neyrincks table but I'd love to see some Avid remote control apps.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-31-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Not wanting to take any bread from Neyrincks table but I'd love to see some Avid remote control apps.
Yeah imagine if you gave one at the $25 price point - Even bedroom guys would be able to jump in on that just to have fun

And there's a lot of bedroom guys so imagine your numbers tripled or quadrupled between the price point of 25 and the price point of 50
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampmusic View Post

Fortunately we were able to trade it in to our local dealer for about 40% of original investment in 2005. (not bad for 8 years of service-definitely paid for itself over many times).
We've been using our console for a helluvalot more than 8 years. If our supplier deliberately and seemingly arbitrarily decided make it impossible for us to use it with newer software and workflows, our response would NOT be "Oh well, we had a good run."

Unless someone at Avid can show us one good reason for them HAVING to drop support for older control surfaces we have to assume that its motivated by desire to generate new revenue streams via artificial demand (greed).
Old 08-31-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
doing exactly what they were created to do. Sell you something.
Good companies sell me something by creating value in a new offering.

Bad companies sell me something by destroying the value of what I already bought from them.

I actually LIKE buying products from the first company and don't bother looking elsewhere unless they really piss me off. I think that's probably the behaviour we're calling "loyalty."

I absolutely DETEST dealing with the second company and do so only because they're the only game in town. The INSTANT someone offers a reasonable alternative I'm gone like a shot.

Which company's stock do you think is a better investment?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:51 AM

The one that provides the best return to its shareholders.

That's what keeps getting lost in these discussions...the points you mentioned aren't important to a large corporation if you aren't among the "type" of customer the corporation wants to focus on.

A few million extra dollars in revenue is not important if it's the "wrong" kind of revenue.

The types of studios that are suffering the most from this whole "driver" issue are smaller businesses. And while someone might be quite knowledgeable about running a small business, they may not know very much about the business practices of large corporations (and vice versa)...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 09-01-2013, 06:20 AM

And avid stock isn't providing a big return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post

The one that provides the best return to its shareholders.

That's what keeps getting lost in these discussions...the points you mentioned aren't important to a large corporation if you aren't among the "type" of customer the corporation wants to focus on.

A few million extra dollars in revenue is not important if it's the "wrong" kind of revenue.

The types of studios that are suffering the most from this whole "driver" issue are smaller businesses. And while someone might be quite knowledgeable about running a small business, they may not know very much about the business practices of large corporations (and vice versa)...

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Old 09-02-2013, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
In reality, control surfaces really are operationally a complete waste of money for most people.

The number of times I walk into a D-Control or D-Command facility and see the operator sitting at the little workstation - sideways to the monitors - making all his automation moves with the mouse and keyboard is simply mindblowing.

The D-Control or D-Command have only 6-character scribble strips and most of the time the actual track name has been concatenated down to indecipherable gibberish - so they have to look at the computer monitor and select the track there anyway.

Of course they usually simply forget to ever turn back to their expensive control surface. It's quite funny really.

This entire PT11 control surface debacle is really a big lesson to everyone to never buy a control surface.
That's actually how PT is designed. Go in the mixer window, select narrow mix view.. and you only get 6 letters. Also if that engineer prefers to mouse down an automation after the other that's his choice, but I feel he actually doesn't really know how to use a D-command or a D-control.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 AM

Default What's missing in PT11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
.The D-Control or D-Command have only 6-character scribble strips .
IMO -It really shows how dated the control surface (machine) is...personally
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 09-02-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 PM

Well, here's why Avid killed the old controllers....all I can say is "Fat chance I would EVER buy another piece of AVID hardware EVER again" Fool me once...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8PQ1vcTaoI