Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2009, 02:02 AM

Default iLOK Redesign Idea

http://protools.ideascale.com/akira/dtd/13062-3779

Let me know what you guys think. If you are in the group rate the idea.

http://www.ideascale.com//userimages...Views-copy.jpg

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 08-25-2009, 10:11 AM

Default Re: iLOK Redesign Idea

Nice re-design but the thing is the non-recurring costs to build a new mold and acquire the new parts doesn't justify the change from iLook's perspective most likely...
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Interface Focusrite Saffire PRO 24
Old 08-25-2009, 10:33 AM

I actually like the iLOK. I can take my programs on any computer. It has saved me a couple of times too.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I say we just get rid of Ilok. It only hurts paying users. Every program that is Ilok only is avilible for free on the net on any warez site. Ilok does not work and hurt people like me and you who actully pay for our software.

I say the exact opposite is true. ILok protects all software developers, not just
digi' so they don't see their software stolen overnight. While the uniloked software is what is mainly floating around the internetz.
Thus, keeping your expensive software worth something and your DAW or manufacture in business to provide support and make updated versions.

I have over 10 iloks and the only 1 that has failed in years is from me kicking it and I RMA'd it through ilok.com, then DIGI CS provided (same day) temp licenses and was back up and running until my original ilok licenses were recovered. No, I didn't have 'zero downtime' or anything like that.

Mob style business? Well, lots of companies use a usb key for protection not just Digi.

I'd much rather have my simple ilok plugged in than type in a serial code for over 50 different plug-ins that are on my machine on every partition or user account. That would SUCK. (I use a usb dongle extender that came with my mbox2 micro to hide it under my mac) I always hate digging through my gmail to find software receipts for each program that I individually have install and manually auth. Ilok kicks ass in this regard IMO.

It definitely could be redesigned, but as far as copy protection goes i don't see what the big deal is against it. For me, the individual musician, it just works.

For schools or other scenarios where theft could be a problem then it probably doesn't help anything.

But back to the topic at hand! > YES if it was more convenient, smaller or redesigned that would be cool and I like the idea.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:29 PM

For my part, I would ask why you would wnat to reinvent the wheel?

Most folks eithr don't like the iLok altogether or they don't care. I'm somewhere in the middle.

I have over 100 individual licenses on mine and would hate to lose it.

Buying a USB port card with an internal port or routing a cable back into the case is the best solution for me.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 08-25-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
http://protools.ideascale.com/akira/dtd/13062-3779

Let me know what you guys think. If you are in the group rate the idea.

http://www.ideascale.com//userimages...Views-copy.jpg
I thought that looked like any other generic USB flash drive..

I was expecting something......

Rounder
Old 08-25-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
For schools or other scenarios where theft could be a problem then it probably doesn't help anything.
Best Idea I've seen for this is to use a wireless USB hub, and lock it up somewhere in a closet. Someone in the HD forum posted this and said that it worked fine for them..

Someone else pointed out installing it internally to the computer, but that still sounds more vulnerable..
Old 08-25-2009, 11:21 PM

"The argument that if a program is free for an illegal download then everyone will do it, the facts just dont show that, the people downloading from file sharing sites either cant afford to buy the software, so no one is losing out on a sale, or, wouldnt buy the program even if they had ten million dollars, so again there was no sale lost. The idea that hackers or crackers (no im not refering to white people) are what is driving up software prices is easily debunked. "

This is simply not true.
So because they will steal anyway there should be no protection.
I never heard of any of those places where the cracked software is. You sure seem to know a lot about it.

"Just wait until that little Ilok gets corrupt or shorts out. After that, then you will see how that company is doing Mob style business"

I had one issue since the inception of the iLok and it was resolved fast and painless. Mob style is a serious charge. Give me some examples. Not just some terms of service but mob style practices.

It has made my work much smoother. I am sorry to hear you have had such bad service and criminal style support
Old 08-25-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Just wait until that little Ilok gets corrupt or shorts out. After that, then you will see how that company is doing Mob style business. Digidesign could not get away with treating customers like that, because they actually sell a product, and consumers are protected, but since Ilok is not selling you the actual software they dont have to promise anything, its a loop hole that Digi need to stop using.
Could be a bad PSU in your PC. It is a piece of electronic. It could happen. If you are doing big business, the I don't see the problem. Digi (or more accurately, Avid), is the top company for a reason. Also, they do not own Pace. They are simply a partner. and that is why you pay $30 a year for protection. Just like insurance on your car. Just do it and when it comes to it you're protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo View Post
I say the exact opposite is true. ILok protects all software developers, not just
digi' so they don't see their software stolen overnight. While the uniloked software is what is mainly floating around the internetz.
Thus, keeping your expensive software worth something and your DAW or manufacture in business to provide support and make updated versions.

I have over 10 iloks and the only 1 that has failed in years is from me kicking it and I RMA'd it through ilok.com, then DIGI CS provided (same day) temp licenses and was back up and running until my original ilok licenses were recovered. No, I didn't have 'zero downtime' or anything like that.

Mob style business? Well, lots of companies use a usb key for protection not just Digi.

I'd much rather have my simple ilok plugged in than type in a serial code for over 50 different plug-ins that are on my machine on every partition or user account. That would SUCK. (I use a usb dongle extender that came with my mbox2 micro to hide it under my mac) I always hate digging through my gmail to find software receipts for each program that I individually have install and manually auth. Ilok kicks ass in this regard IMO.

It definitely could be redesigned, but as far as copy protection goes i don't see what the big deal is against it. For me, the individual musician, it just works.

But back to the topic at hand! > YES if it was more convenient, smaller or redesigned that would be cool and I like the idea.
Thank you Premo for actually reading the post and thanks for the feedback. You are right and the iLok just works without having to deal with serial and code numbers and such. I just said a redesign to be sold ALONGSIDE the original. Nothing else, no new functions, just like going from a ICON D-Control to a ICON D-Control ES. Nothing really new except cosmetic (that is where I got the colors too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
For my part, I would ask why you would wnat to reinvent the wheel?

Most folks eithr don't like the iLok altogether or they don't care. I'm somewhere in the middle.

I have over 100 individual licenses on mine and would hate to lose it.

Buying a USB port card with an internal port or routing a cable back into the case is the best solution for me.
I am not reinventing the wheel, I am just putting out a version 2 of it. As far as not caring about the iLOK, that is not true when most Pro Audio software supports it. And the Internal port works for a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
I thought that looked like any other generic USB flash drive..

I was expecting something......

Rounder
Sorry lol. This is a concept though. Not like it will be released tomorrow.

Quote:
Sorry Premo, but iLok "protected" software is out there on pirate sites too, pretty much everything is cracked, and if its not there are actually Hacker teams devoted to cracking music production software, and what ever the program is, it will be cracked and distributed through all the .rar and torrent download sites. Everything from Digi has been cracked and pretty much everything from Waves. So I really dont see how it is protecting anything. The argument that if a program is free for an illegal download then everyone will do it, the facts just dont show that, the people downloading from file sharing sites either cant afford to buy the software, so no one is losing out on a sale, or, wouldnt buy the program even if they had ten million dollars, so again there was no sale lost. The idea that hackers or crackers (no im not refering to white people) are what is driving up software prices is easily debunked.

The redesigned Ilok needs to be smaller, so its less likely to be bumped.
If you are a million dollar studio owner will you be getting cracked software that can be unreliable? What if your client have certain features that is only achieve by downloading it? I done it before and I will never do it again. Paying for it and not having the headaches of cracked software and downloading Trojans and viruses, as well as having someone in India downloading my content from my drive, using up my data that I pay for and slowing my internet connection down is enough reason for me to buy it. And my clients get a smooth session not worried about me having unreliable software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Best Idea I've seen for this is to use a wireless USB hub, and lock it up somewhere in a closet. Someone in the HD forum posted this and said that it worked fine for them..

Someone else pointed out installing it internally to the computer, but that still sounds more vulnerable..
That is cool since your don't need to be transferring info from the hub.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
"The argument that if a program is free for an illegal download then everyone will do it, the facts just dont show that, the people downloading from file sharing sites either cant afford to buy the software, so no one is losing out on a sale, or, wouldnt buy the program even if they had ten million dollars, so again there was no sale lost. The idea that hackers or crackers (no im not refering to white people) are what is driving up software prices is easily debunked. "

This is simply not true.
So because they will steal anyway there should be no protection.
I never heard of any of those places where the cracked software is. You sure seem to know a lot about it.

"Just wait until that little Ilok gets corrupt or shorts out. After that, then you will see how that company is doing Mob style business"

I had one issue since the inception of the iLok and it was resolved fast and painless. Mob style is a serious charge. Give me some examples. Not just some terms of service but mob style practices.

It has made my work much smoother. I am sorry to hear you have had such bad service and criminal style support
Thank you Bender!

Quote:
I didnt say they shouldnt protect, this is america and I believe private companies have the right to do what they want as long as they deliver on their products and promises. Let them protect and give you a dongle to house all your licenses, thats great and easy to use. But dont kid yourself. You said yourself you never heard about these sites, so if you havent studied, you wouldnt know how there is not one protection software out there that cannot be beaten. I dont know what you are trying to imply, but just because i know about these sites doesnt mean anything, anymore than you know what a dog is makes you a dog, ever hear of google?

I would like to see your facts that shows I am wrong about how much $ companies lose because of "unfair play" And dont get it from Wikipedia or some special interest group, I want the REAL number, that means the people who say they would steal the software even if they could afford it. I DO NOT SUPPORT ILLEGAL DOWNLADING. EVERYTHING POSTED IS FOR LEARNING PURPOSES ONLY.
People that I mess with doesn't have problems with software nor do they download it. Why, because everyone is a professional and not look like a kid. Benoni, you guys will always complain Digi do this Avid do that, but if you are not paying for the software, that is less labor dollars that they can improve the software. And there is cracked software for Pro audio items, but not as much people have it because of the reasons that I have stated earlier.