Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 01-22-2022, 07:31 PM

Default Pro Tools Perpetual Upgrade from Pro Tools 11.. Lose Old license?

I still use Pro Tools 10, and the 10 license is connected to my Pro Tools 11 license. I do not want to lose my ability to run pro tools 10 on an old mac pro because of some plugins that will likely never be updated.

If I update to the current pro tools perpetual, do I have to surrender my old license (therefore losing the ability to run Pro Tools 10)?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2022, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Perpetual Upgrade from Pro Tools 11.. Lose Old license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrs View Post
I still use Pro Tools 10, and the 10 license is connected to my Pro Tools 11 license. I do not want to lose my ability to run pro tools 10 on an old mac pro because of some plugins that will likely never be updated.

If I update to the current pro tools perpetual, do I have to surrender my old license (therefore losing the ability to run Pro Tools 10)?

Thanks
The perpetual licensee allow you to run as old as Protools 10, so you're good.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 01-22-2022, 09:50 PM

But you need to find an upgrade to purchase. Avid does not offer those currently, a promotional program just ended on December 31st. You should contact dealers like Vintage King or Sweetwater and see if they have any upgrades left they can sell you. This is what you are after: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...until-31st-dec
Old 01-22-2022, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the info. Regarding needing to purchase an update/the promotional program ending, can't I just purchase the upgrade here: https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...&sku=DYNA20004 ?
Old 01-22-2022, 10:53 PM

Ah, yikes... just noticed the pricing difference... would this work, for my upgrade: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-22-2022, 11:05 PM

What you are looking at there is a new perpetual license not an upgrade. Also be careful if you purchase a new license you may not get the legacy Pro Tools 10 licenses... I am not sure... but you definitely do get that if you upgrade from an old perpetual license.

All this is why you need to call a sales rep that knows their stuff, I so much prefer Vintage King I would personally go there.

And paying all those $ for an upgrade, if you can, also means you are on the update plan treadmill... if you stop paying annual upgrade plans you can keep using the latest then current (and your legacy licences) but you may not then ever be able to restart updates unless Avid pulls another promotion... you *might* want to think about annual subscriptions (for the latest) and just use your old perpetual license, or at least compare costs.

The Avid Complete Plugin Bundle and Heat are edit: *now* (sorry for the typo) included with all subscriptions and update plans (but stop working if you don't keep paying the update plans, so that part is really a subscription).

Do you really need Pro Tools Ultimate? To run Digilink IO? You need more than 64 IO? Need advanced automation? Need surround sound? Field recorder workflows etc.? If not you could purchase or subscribe to Pro Tools standard and save money.

You never mentioned that Ultimate until the link you provided... if you are using Digilink you also will need a Digilink License. Which Avid may or may not provide to you depending if you ever purchased an Avid DigiLink interface. This was new starting in 12.6 and has been widely discussed on DUC.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrs View Post
Ah, yikes... just noticed the pricing difference... would this work, for my upgrade: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
No. That's a renewal for folks who have current update plans in place. You don't--you need a reinstatement thingy, the exact name I gave you in the Pro Tools Expert article. If anybody can sell them to you. I *really* meant it when I said you need to contact a sales rep. if the rep does not know, force them to find an internal Pro Tools licensing expert and show them that article link.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:10 AM

Thanks so much for all the info. I currently use pro tools hd, which is why I’m referencing ultimate. I have no need for surround mixing or anything like that.. just two track mixing. Sessions can get a bit large, but if I have as many voices as I currently have with 10hd in the new regular protocols (and there are no other negatives), I’d be happy with that over ultimate
Old 01-23-2022, 09:26 AM

Then what I would do as soon as you are ready to get going is grab a free one month trial of Pro Tools standard, and check everything is ok and compatible with your setup and confirm you don’t need Ultimate. Then you have the choice of purchasing a new standard perpetual license or buying a subscription. And just keep separately using your old HD license.