Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2009, 01:27 PM

Default PT8 strange happenings

Hi

This maybe on the wrong thread, but I have noticed 2 strange happenings with PT8.

Firstly, frequently PT cannot load a .ptf file from the "recent" file list - it 'hangs' and i have to force quit. Secondly, and this is proving a bit of a problem, most of my plug-ins, including the digi plugins, wont allow real-time adjustment - ie. if the track is playing and i am adjusting parameters of EQ or Comp, the values go 'crazy', the plugin drags every value the opposite direction to the value I am trying to enter.

Any one noticed this?

David

PT8
Mac Pro (10.5.6)
4 int hard drives
6GB ram
BFD2
Miroslav
Waves NPP
Komplete Classics
IK T-racks
Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 PM

Default Re: PT8 strange happenings

I just upgraded this morning and I've not had anything like what you're describing-

I have noticed that the first time opening a pre 8.0 session it takes a little longer to open it, but then it's pretty quick

no issues with plug-ins, Digi's , "approved" plug-ins, or wrapped

Thus far I've goy few nits... though a couple of wishes for somewhere down the line....
Old 01-18-2009, 02:36 PM

I have also had an issue with my new pro tools 8 today. When I was using Amplitube 2 and adjusted the parameters in real-time the playing suddenly stopped. This is normal since amplitube is a bit heavy on my macbook, but afterwards the mbox stopped working. The lights were on, but no sound. Not in itunes or other programmes either. The only thing to do is unplug it and then plug it in again. I've never had this problem before, and it happens everytime I use amplitube og guitar rig.. Any solutions?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM

Note: I have been having major problems with IK plug ins i.e sampltank, Amplitube, T-racks etc. Ik know this and are working on it but for the time being I suggest you disable all their plug ins.. it has crashed my computer twice..grrr. not happy about it...
good luck..
s
Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM

I have Amplitube2, CSR and Tracks... just played with all 3 on tracks in a session and no issues making changes

now if I add the plug-in while a session is playing back it will temporarily "stall", but after that no further '...delays'

I'm hoping I'm just lucky, as I expected issues with the upgrade

did you do a clean install (uninstalled previous version)? I did... mainly due to be the paranoid type
Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless View Post
I have Amplitube2, CSR and Tracks... just played with all 3 on tracks in a session and no issues making changes

now if I add the plug-in while a session is playing back it will temporarily "stall", but after that no further '...delays'

I'm hoping I'm just lucky, as I expected issues with the upgrade

did you do a clean install (uninstalled previous version)? I did... mainly due to be the paranoid type
You actually MUST uninstall any previous version or the PT8 install will stop and instruct you to, and includes an uninstall utility.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2009, 10:21 PM

Hi Pro tools 8 seems to behave weirdly upon starting and selecting any of the templates i get the error The File name and path is 262 characters . The maximum length is 248 characters for creating files . this may cause problems when using pro tools.. Well it certainly does . i click ok i then get the error Could not complete the open session.... command because the filename or extension is too long (206) i click ok wont let me into pro tools

Ive contacted support the suggest this

This problem sounds like it is caused by corrupt preference files or databases. Please follow these instructions and delete these files.

DAE Preferences folder for Pro Tools 6 and later:
Start menu > My Computer > Local Disk (C:) or correct Hard Drive > Click "Show the contents of this drive", if files aren't showing > Program Files > Common Files > Digidesign > DAE > Right-click on the DAE Prefs folder and delete.

Pro Tools Preferences (all versions of Pro Tools):
Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk (C:) or correct Hard Drive > Documents and Settings > Your user file folder > Application Data > Digidesign > right-click on Pro Tools Preferences.PTP file and delete. Empty Recycle Bin and Restart. (If the Application Data file is not showing: Tools Menu > Folder Options > View Tab > Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders" > Click Apply and OK. Click on Back arrow and start again at Local Disk (C:) and repeat steps.

Once you have done all of this please empty the recycling bin, reboot the PC and try launching the template again.

Regards,

It worked first time now its reverted to doing the same but this time doing the above doesnt correct the problem at all. so i cant get into pro tools . oh yeah the file name i was using is far less in characters it was new song3.

Any Suggestions have tried uninstalling Pro tools 8 and reinstalling

Many thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 02:28 AM

Well, trashing preferences has not solved either problem. I can get around the first by quitting PT and opening the recently closed file.

But I cannot get around the 2nd problem. Imagine if you could not adjust any parameter in real time on the basic sound processing plugins (ie EQ, comp). I mean this happens with the basic Digi EQ, Comp/Exp, etc, as well as 3rd part plugs. It is truly bizarre. I hope Digi Tech Support post a reply, as I need a hand. Otherwise I am enjoying the new PT8.

thanks
David
Old 01-19-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoss View Post
Well, trashing preferences has not solved either problem. I can get around the first by quitting PT and opening the recently closed file.

But I cannot get around the 2nd problem. Imagine if you could not adjust any parameter in real time on the basic sound processing plugins (ie EQ, comp). I mean this happens with the basic Digi EQ, Comp/Exp, etc, as well as 3rd part plugs. It is truly bizarre. I hope Digi Tech Support post a reply, as I need a hand. Otherwise I am enjoying the new PT8.

thanks
David
Have you tried a full un-install using the uninstaller on the PT8 disc and then a re-install? That's not normal behaviour and can't be described as a bug when it's so specific

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 AM

+1 for the issue of not being able to open session from the recently opened list upon pro tools startup. I have not had the issue of not being able to adjust plugins during playback.

imac core duo 2.4
4GB ram
PT8
OS 10.5.6