Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 10:00 AM

Default Quick-keys..& X-keys

..evening all

...now, one of the things that i'm missing most, in moving from Nuendo/SX to protools, is the whole 'user definable key commands thing'....one thing that steinberg have done very well, is letting users define 99% of the actions that the software can do, with their own shortcuts...it also does macros (long combinations of actions) to be defined in much the same way....a *very* powerful tool when you start thinking about the possibilitys..

I don't have a problem remembering that some basic things are in new places....it's kind of like changes models of car....but it's frustrating when some things have no key-commands at all (solo for instance !) , or invlove so many keys presses &/or modify key combinations, that it's really not saving much effort..

So, this quickkeys thing? Does it work, or does it just get in the way & cause problems?

Also, i notice that there is an hardware device called x'keys...do these things play well together?

ru x

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 10-22-2006, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Quick-keys..& X-keys

Quote:
So, this quickkeys thing? Does it work, or does it just get in the way & cause problems?
Short answer
Yes, it works (and, no, it doesn’t get in the way).

Longer answer
Search the archives—it’s been discussed numerous times over the course of the last 12 months, with contributions by many knowledgeable users.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 10-22-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Short answer
Yes, it works (and, no, it doesn’t get in the way).

Longer answer
Search the archives—it’s been discussed numerous times over the course of the last 12 months, with contributions by many knowledgeable users.

IHTH.

..thanks for the reply, that sounds hopefull, at least...now i've done a search for 'quickkeys' mentions in the last 12 months, & have only found a handful of threads....& half of these have you suggesting that the poster go search the forum

..are there any brilliant threads you, or anyone with 10 mins to spare, could point me in the direction of ?

It looks like i'll be able to get hold of quickkeys v2.1 later....i was hoping to be able to

* program a key, say 'S' to solo whatever track is selected
* program a series of keys to jump to memory locations

..is this possible?

xx

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

Old 10-22-2006, 03:23 PM

I'm using X-Keys stick with iKey Macro software. So far, so good. haven't got to deep with it yet.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:59 PM

Try one of these...
You can program 4 'layers' of key strokes and every keystroke can be a macro(series of keystrokes)
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=157024
If the link doesn't work, search for the 'belkin nostromo n52'
Old 10-22-2006, 05:04 PM

..ah yes http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys.php ...some really cool looking things here !...& not uber-expensive either

..so, i've managed to find a 30day demo of quickkeys...it's installed & running.....here's what i tried

Load up quickkeys & a protools session

In Quickkeys:

* create new shortcut/user actions/type keystroke
* assign it to the 'S' Key
* Create three keyboard actions' for it: . 1 .

This should then make protools jump to 'memory location1' , when i hit the 'S' key, yes?

..of course, when i switch over to protools it's not working yet!

Without sitting up all night to read the manual, can a quickkeys user tell me what elementary step i'm missing out to make this work?

..also......how would you assign 'Solo' to a key?...there isn't currently *any* kind of shortcut for it...very strange!

xx

Old 10-22-2006, 05:51 PM

Sad news.- There's no command available or programable to solo a track.
The thinking here is that if you first have to select the track to solo it, that would take 2 actions. Just clik the solo button instead of cliking the track name. 1 action.
(for those kind of things you'll want to get a little control surface- Highly recommended)
When you program your commands you can select which program they will function in. It really is quicker for you to look it up in the manual than to retype it all here. (it's pretty small right?)
hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
[…]It looks like i'll be able to get hold of quickkeys v2.1 later…
Be sure to purchase v3.x if you’re working with OSX.

Quote:
…i was hoping to be able to

* program a key, say 'S' to solo whatever track is selected
This is tricky, because —since there is no menu item for “Solo selected tracks” in PT, you will have to create shortcuts which rely on absolute screen position (pixel-by-pixel coordinates), in order to “hit” a solo button with a QK shortcut. While this works, it also forces one to have Mixer and/or Edit windows “anchored” to a fixed (constant) position.

Quote:
This is already possible within ProTools. You can move from marker (memory location) to marker by typing “Period–Marker Number–Period”. (for example: “.666.”) Make sure to read the “Numeric Keypad Mode” (Preferences) section of your reference manual for some variations and details about the above.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 10-23-2006, 03:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:
This is already possible within ProTools. You can move from marker (memory location) to marker by typing “Period–Marker Number–Period”. (for example: “.666.”) Make sure to read the “Numeric Keypad Mode” (Preferences) section of your reference manual for some variations and details about the above.

..ok...quickkeys3 it is....& solo of any sort is impossible without a mouse or dedicated control surface !....

..however, back to the memory location example...that's just what i'm trying to program....but i want to get it on a single keypress.

If i want to keep jumping from memory location '10' to '12' & back again i have to press "period one zero period....& then Period one two period"

...i'd love to get, ideally, a bunch of memory locations, on *single* keyhits...is this possible?

..thanks for everyones help
x

Old 10-23-2006, 12:37 PM

I posted recently regarding no solo key stroke (and a simple way to scroll through tracks). It was available in Cubase on the Atari in 1990, so it can't be difficult to implement. Just seems that people aren't shouting about it enough for Digi to implement it.

Seems strange to me to have to go to a third party programme to get some basic key commands. More (flexible) keystrokes would be doubleplusgood and would get my vote.

Kevin

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12.1.138 | Mac Studio M1 Max (64 GB) | Ventura 13.6.3 | Clarett+ 2Pre

Pro Tools HD 9.0.6 | HD6 PCIx | Mac Pro5,1 (mid 2010) Westmere 3.33 GHz Hexacore (32 GB) | Lion 10.7.5 | Magma PE6R4-I | 192 i/o |

Pro Tools HD 9.0.6 | HD3 PCIe | MacPro5,1 (mid 2010) Westmere 3.33 GHz Hexacore (32 GB) | Lion 10.7.5 | Apogee Rosetta 200 | C|24