Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-17-2008, 09:17 PM

Default advice/help

Hi,
I am very new to home recording and use M audio PT LE 7.1 with an ozonic interface and a mac G4 10.4.8.
My computer has had a lot of problems and I was offered an upgrade. I don't know model of mac to ask for as I'm confused about versions and compatibility. I do know that PT LE 7.1 doesn't work with Leopard. So here are my questions if anyone would be so kind as to educate a newbie. I did search strings but its a bit confusing and I'm on a time limit.

Will my M Audio PT LE 7.1 for a mac based computer work with the intel macs?
If not is there something I'm supposed to dowload or do I have to purchase a new version of PT LE all together?
I've seen something called 7.1.1. Is this an upgrade to my current software so I can use an intel mac?
I don't know if I should get a new Leopard mac and just wait for digi to come out with upgrades to what I have (its my livelyhoood so I don't know that waiting is an option - but if its fairly soon I'd rather have a new computer) or get ask for a regular G5 that runs Tiger? In a bind trying to learn and make sure there's a smooth transition as things are on hold.

Thanks.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:22 PM

Default Re: advice/help

You do need 7.1.1 to run on an Intel Mac, which is a free download for you.

7.1.1 will most likely not ever work on Leopard however. When PT Leopard support comes, it will probably just be for version 7.4 and up, so if you go for a new computer with 10.5 you should also plan on buying the $75 PTLE 7.4 upgrade as well.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 PM

Thank you! This is a big help.
Just to be clear: I can skip the 7.1.1 altogether and just purchase the 7.4 upgrade as that should take care of working with intel mac as well as upgrading for 10.5 or do I need the 7.1.1 upgrade and then go to 7.4?
Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:13 AM

Hi there. Just helped a friend yesterday set up her Project Mix with a 2.16 MBP... She had installed 7.1.1 M-Powered several months ago while she was still running Tiger (but never got around to running any sessions or even powering up the interface), and - unbeknownst to me (until I powered up her machine yesterday) - she upgraded to Leopard. I absolutely thought it wouldn't run at all, but it did! Even recording to her internal sys drive!

Now, it was just two trax (vox and gitfiddle), but it DID work. Even put D-Verb on one track to see if it would crash it. Only had the buffering error msgs due to recording to the int. drive (set buffer to 1024 samples, 85% processors, Level 2, and it seemed to work fine). Completely surprised me! We didn't run marathons with it because she needs to get a record drive - just testing it out to show her the very very basics of editing, I/O set-up, &c. The only issue was the black screen of death when a WD MyBook (POS!!!) was plugged in (running FW 800 and 400 together is a known issue). When I removed it completely, no probs. Recorded 2 trax with a TRT of about 4.5 minutes, did lots of editing (trimming; moving; copying; pasting; laying in fades; volume, pan, mute automation), and even bounced down a track! Not a hiccup.

Of course this is absolutely not a recommendation to have at it, but I did witness an instance of an older version of the software running on 10.5.1. So take that for what its worth. If it were me, I'd still wait til the go ahead from Digi.

best

Nathan
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x Summit Audio 2BA-221>TLA 50>EQF-100
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
http://humpbackmedia.net[/SIZE]
Old 02-18-2008, 10:05 PM

Thanks Nathan. I appreciate your reply. I've read this elsewhere, that is works for some and not for others. I just wish I knew Digi's
ball park time frame for the upgrade as I think its silly to have to not get the latest model. A friend of mine advised I just bite the bullet and get the latest one as they will eventually upgrade, its just what I'm supposed to do in the meantime.
Thanks for your answer. Its encouraging and infomative and good of you to help your friend!