Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-29-2001, 09:42 AM

Default Korg Triton

it is the new staple synth, no doubt. I don't have it , as I've been thinking about an XP-30 for a while now, which jas the JV-1080/2080 soundset and then some. Overall, a great 'bang for the buck' synth.
But now, after hearing the Triton, and seeing I can get the rack version for about $600 more than an XP-30, it leaves me wondering. Not to mention that the Triton has a built-in sampler and somewhat 'newer' sounds.
hmm....

any of these 2 synths user's advice is greatly appreciated.

pk
Old 06-29-2001, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Korg Triton

get the rack - don't waste the money on the synth. you already have a sequencer and effects. the rack has digital outs, the synth doesn't. big mistake on the part of korg. i am selling mine (it's damn near new) on ebay. i was hoping they would have released a user expansion port for digital out by now. but, they haven't, and i could use the money for other gear now.
Old 06-29-2001, 10:23 AM

I love my Triton.. I think I'd stick with the synth versus the rack version for the simple reason of the touchscreen. Much easier to navigate plus it just looks cool and lights up the room. Plus you have all of the onboard midi controls like the ribbon pad, etc. You lose those except for the 4 knobs on the rack version. I think it would just suck trying to setup a midi controller to emulate the onboard controls that are built into the synth. But I guess some people just love rack mounting everything to save space. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2001, 11:24 AM

If you really want a Triton, look into the Karma, also by KORG. It's pretty much the same brain as a Triton, minus the touch screen, and less $ than the Triton.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/sh...323?pid=702409

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: ReniuR ]

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 06-29-2001, 11:48 AM

thanks for the replies everyone, keep 'em comin!
It seems no one out there really raves about the Roland Xp-30. Seems like the Triton - whether rack or KB - has won peoples hearts, and ears...
If I go Triton, I would get the rack because it has more expandable slots (8 I believe?), more than the KB does.
The ribbon is not much of a factor, as the basic filter cutoff and resonnance are right there on the front panel, which is important to me.
As for sampling on the Triton, does it read other formats from CD sample librarys? I mean, are they gonna start adding the Triton as an actual format as they do with EMU, AKAI and Giga? I'm aware it reads WAV.

pk
Old 06-29-2001, 08:22 PM

The XP30 is a wonderful keyboard as I own one among many other synths. But the Triton Rack sure is something to behold. However, whether it's best for you really depends on what kind of music you are into. If you want a lot of really authentic sounds, then you can't beat a K2600 from Kurzweil or a Roland XV5080. I own (2) K2500's and an Roland XV5080...love them to death. If your choice is Hip-Hop or R&B, the Triton kicks butt! This is not to say that it does not provide realistic sounds at all because in fact it does. Each product has their own strength and weakness. Hope this helps....
Old 07-01-2001, 10:32 PM

K2000?
I'm still trying to sell mine. I'm so over it. I won't deny that the sounds are great, but a pain in the ass to edit, and too pricey to upgrade.
Korg Karma? Hate it, especially after viewing the promo video that came with my KEYBOARD magazine a few months ago. YUK! I know it's a killer synth, but they portray it so poorly, so awefully cheezy! They make it look like it plays the music for you! It's like, too much "synth" for me, so candy-coated. The only Korg kit I like is the Triton series.
Today, I picked up a used Roland XP-30 for $500. I don't think I've ever spent that kind of money as wisely as this. I still want a Triton Rack later, but wow...
XP-30 is a f***ing monster under the hood!!!

Definetely gets my vote for "best overall synth" under $1000. (it still retails at $949).

Very happy...

pk

p.s. still curious about sampling with the Triton. Can you actually sample with it, or can you merely use it as a "sample playback"??? Thanks everyone!
Old 07-02-2001, 03:54 AM

just copied this off the korg web site but you have to be some kind of voodoo doctor to make that stuff work on these tiny little displays and 4 million menus to go through to loop stuff. better off sampling with PT and editing with soundforge, then uploading finished product to the triton. same for any sampler.........

The TRITON features a 16 bit linear 48 kHz mono/stereo sampling function that allows data that you sample to be programmed and molded using the advanced HI synthesis system.

The TRITON comes with 16 Mbytes of sample memory, allowing approximately 2 minutes 54 seconds of monaural sampling.

By adding 72 pin SIMM modules* you can expand the memory to a maximum of 64 Mbytes (two 32 Mbyte SIMM modules). This lets you record up 11 minutes and 38 seconds of mono sampling. You can record one-shot samples as well as phrase samples,and use the zero-cross automatic detection function to easily create smooth loops. Stereo or mono AIFF files, Windows WAVE files, AKAI S1000/S3000 (Floppy and CD-ROM) and Trinity format data can also be loaded into sample memory, giving you access to an even wider range of materials. (Triton cannot load Trinity format data from TFD-1S, TFD-2S,TFD-3S and TFD-4S , since they use data-compressed data.)

This data can be edited using operations such as Truncate, Cut, Copy, and Reverse. The grid function lets you view the waveform with dotted vertical lines that indicate the beat resolution and tempo. Sample data can be cut on the basis of BPM values or beats, making it easy to edit the desired locations of the waveform. The Rate Convert function converts the sampling frequency --- an easy way to create currently popular lo-fi sounds.

This data can be played from the keyboard immediately after sampling, or you can use it to create a multisample that assigns multiple samples to different pitch ranges. Mono multisamples are easily converted into single-oscillator programs, and stereo multisamples into double-oscillator programs.

(* User-installable. Use 16 Mbyte or 32 Mbyte 72 pin SIMM modules that are either Fast Page or EDO -compatible, with an access speed of 60 nsec or faster. For details refer to a TRITON dealer near you.)