Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 AM

Default 192I/O not looping

Hi Guys,

We running an HD2 system with the 3x192I/O.
We have wired the digicable from the 1st card into Primary slot of unit A and then gone from expansion port to primary port of Unit B.
I have then wired the Digicable from the 2nd card into Unit C.

We have synched unit A into Unit B then unit B into Unit C and Unit C back into unit A.

Unit C's LEDS are flickering every few minutes and the units are not displaying the "loop" mode.

Protools is working fine exept it clicks everytime unit C's LEDs come on.

Does anyone know how to get passed this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Banned

Default Re: 192I/O not looping

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwiersd View Post
Hi Guys,

We running an HD2 system with the 3x192I/O.
We have wired the digicable from the 1st card into Primary slot of unit A and then gone from expansion port to primary port of Unit B.
I have then wired the Digicable from the 2nd card into Unit C.

We have synched unit A into Unit B then unit B into Unit C and Unit C back into unit A.

Unit C's LEDS are flickering every few minutes and the units are not displaying the "loop" mode.

Protools is working fine exept it clicks everytime unit C's LEDs come on.

Does anyone know how to get passed this?

Thanks in advance.

hello,

you may need to go into both the hardware setup and the session dialogue to see if you have the proper sources and so forth. you also do not necessarily have to use "loop sync", i.e. you do not have to return the sync from the third unit to the first unit. you can simply set it up so that the first unit is outputting word clock to the second unit, and the second unit is outputting word clock to the third unit. make sure each unit is set to receive clock from whatever other unit is plugged into it. the first unit should be set to internal. each unit should be set to output word clock at the session rate [the base rate will also work]. should work fine.

otherwise, if you want to use "loop sync" then you need to define the first unit as the loop master and set both of the other units to receive sync via loop sync.

again, check to make sure there are no insconsistencies between your settings in the hardware dialogue and those in the session dialogue.

if you still can't get it to work, post the exact settings you are using and more detail.

digilom
Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by digilogin View Post
hello,

you may need to go into both the hardware setup and the session dialogue to see if you have the proper sources and so forth. you also do not necessarily have to use "loop sync", i.e. you do not have to return the sync from the third unit to the first unit. you can simply set it up so that the first unit is outputting word clock to the second unit, and the second unit is outputting word clock to the third unit. make sure each unit is set to receive clock from whatever other unit is plugged into it. the first unit should be set to internal. each unit should be set to output word clock at the session rate [the base rate will also work]. should work fine.

otherwise, if you want to use "loop sync" then you need to define the first unit as the loop master and set both of the other units to receive sync via loop sync.

again, check to make sure there are no insconsistencies between your settings in the hardware dialogue and those in the session dialogue.

if you still can't get it to work, post the exact settings you are using and more detail.

digilom

hello,

also, with 3 interfaces you may want to think about using one high quality clock [nanosyncs or something, don't use a crappy clock], and sending clock in a "star" configuration to each interface separately.

digilom
Old 09-05-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digilogin View Post
…also, with 3 interfaces you may want to think about using one high quality clock [nanosyncs or something, don't use a crappy clock], and sending clock in a "star" configuration to each interface separately.

digilom
Or not.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwiersd View Post
[…]Unit C's LEDS are flickering every few minutes and the units are not displaying the "loop" mode.
Things to check:

1) Be sure to employ proper 75 Ohm coaxial cables for your DigiLoop clocking connections. If possible, test the cables (if you don’t have a tester, try swapping their order and see if the problem “moves”).

2) Next, reseat all your your connections to the interfaces—at both ends.

3) Swap the positions of your DigiLink cables and see if the problem follows a cable. With three cables, try all positional permutations.

4) Reseat the Flex cable.

IHTH. Good luck!

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 09-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Avid

Also be sure you're using the Loop Sync connectors - a common mistake is to accidentally wire an Ext. Clock connection in there.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Also be sure you're using the Loop Sync connectors - a common mistake is to accidentally wire an Ext. Clock connection in there.
hello,

that's right. and i should add that my post above about not having to use loop sync forgot to mention that there are different connectors.

digilom
Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 AM

I've been running my 2 192k interfaces and a Sync I/O in Loop for years without any problems. I took a look and noticed that I had not connected the Loop Out of the last box into the Loop In of the first box.

Does it really make any difference??

David
Old 09-11-2008, 06:10 AM
Banned

hello,

i would have to look at how its connected, but you may not have actually been running in "loop mode". and if you have no more than two interfaces, it might work without looping it back, even if you are using the loop connectors.

usually, it will either work or you will get those clicking sounds.

digilom