Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-23-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Digi Vs MOTU? Pro\'s Con\'s - Looking at going 002

Ok, fellow PT's I have a few questions that you folks could help me out on. Now, this first question is for those of you that have PT and MOTU stuff running 4.5; I currently have a MOTU 2408 mkIII & 24i on a Mac G5 Dual 1.8 and honestly the system has always been flakey. Because of this I am looking at going to an 002 Rack. With the MOTU stuff I am ALWAYS fearful of the system crashing. It has improved but still it's flakey. Now, those of you that can compare the two systems, which is more stable? Any issues with Pro Tools?

Next few questions are for everyone using PT. By the screen shot it looks like you can apply 5 plugins per track...correct? With the limit (CAP) of 32 tracks does that hinder many of you? Why does Digi do that? They really should raise that limit to 48 - crap, so what if the 'big dollar' hardware wasn't purchased, 32 is kind of limiting (IMO)! Any how, what about Word Clock...I have a Apogee Rosetta 800 96k and I can clock my MOTU stuff to it...can I do that with PT LE - 002 Rack?? I know clocking is very important and that may be the clincher if I go with them or not.

If you have any other input that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2004, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Digi Vs MOTU? Pro\'s Con\'s - Looking at going 002

no there is no clock in or out

I found LE too limiting others do not only you can answer that

can you explain flaky ? maybe its not motu but your ram OSX is very ram picky so to speak

check your ram first
Old 12-23-2004, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Digi Vs MOTU? Pro\'s Con\'s - Looking at going 002

For years I've recorded on MOTU stuff... mostly in PC, and it has been rock solid. I've gone from 2408 to 2408MKll to the 24i. On PC, in conjunction with Steinberg Nuendo, I found it to fulfill my needs and very rarely had problems. Then one day I tried a Mac. I loved it so much that I dumped the PCs and got a G4 for recording. Again with Nuendo and MOTU hardware it was pretty solid... not a crash in over 6 months to date. I got a couple of G5s this year... mainly one for mixing since my older MOTU gear was not compatable with the PCI_X system and Nuendo ran like dogsh*t on that.... constantly crashing crying about the little syncrosoft error. It was always Syncrosoft, never my iLok crying for help. So, instead of using the MBox as my I/O for my mixing station G5, I decided to lose the G4 and get the newer dual G5 2.5 and maybe some new 896HDs. Well, it turns out that you can not use more than one 896 at a time with Macs..... MOTU has created them to run off of 2 seperate drivers (I suppose to corner the Mac market outside of DIGI, of course, for DP since it seems to be one of (if not) the only progs to utilize multiple drivers.) Only the PCI based products will use one driver.... for the 424 card. So, it put me in a situation to seek something new all together.... either a PCI MOTU setup or the Digi002R and Focusrite Octopre. So I went the latter route. I can say with confidence that I have made the right choice and wont turn back for any reason.

At first I was very confused on the subject of "32 tracks" in LE.... don't let yourself be confused as I was... it is not 32 tracks... it is 32 voices for audio tracks.... you still have lots of room for additional midi or aux inputs. I was under the assumption that when you routed two kick drum mics to an aux input that this would consume 3 of my 32 voices. This is not the case. You can have 32 mono audio or 16 stereo or any combination therein "voiced" - you can actually have upto 128 tracks, but only 32 are voicable - 256 midi tracks and 128 Aux inputs... that's not bad. I find it rare that I would need more than 32 audio tracks... my projects typically fall in 24 to 28 tracks.... sometimes 30 and twice over 50 in 10 years. Currently I am running a project that has 28 tracks, 1 midi track, and 7 or 8 aux tracks. But I am recording rock/metal/hardcore type stuff... usually 10 to 12 drum tracks, a bass, 4 guitars a lead track or two and maybe 4 vocs... some bussing etcetc - occationally a few midi tracks and some keys... again, I rarely hit 28+. It all depends what you do an how your used to working. Back in my not so long ago Nuendo days, if a singer wanted to add a whisper section I would just throw it on a new track... so, maybe I can't be so careless with track count... no big deal, I just do a bit more automating. Thats it. I am the king of wanting headrooom - it would be nice for Digi to throw us a bone with another 8 voices!!! That sure would be nice, but if not.... oh well, I just like the ability .

Good Luck!!!
Old 12-24-2004, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Digi Vs MOTU? Pro\'s Con\'s - Looking at going

I'm not all that familiar with the Apogee Rosetta 800 96k (out of my price range!), but I don't see why you couldn't clock to it.
It is an A/D D/A converter, right? If you are running it in and out of the ADAT ports on the 002, you can chose external clock.
If you have Guitar Center, or similar close, go look at it and see if it will work for you.
I haven't used the MOTU stuff, but for the record, the 002R and PowerBook combo has been rock solid for me.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Digi Vs MOTU? Pro\'s Con\'s - Looking at going

I ment no word clock

sorry for confusion