Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2004, 10:32 PM

Default ProTools Vs. Logic Pro 7 Vs. DP

I'm about to purchase Logic Pro 7 rather than ProTools LE and I'd like your opinions. I'm a musician, producer - a player. I like Logic Pro 7 because of all it offers, but am very concerneda bout buggyness and learning curve.

I'm told that ProTools willl do a credible job.

Message?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:45 PM

Default Re: ProTools Vs. Logic Pro 7 Vs. DP

Quote:
you have been given just the correct information
Old 12-14-2004, 02:09 AM

Quote:
I'm about to purchase Logic Pro 7 rather than ProTools LE and I'd like your opinions. I'm a musician, producer - a player. I like Logic Pro 7 because of all it offers, but am very concerneda bout buggyness and learning curve.

Message?
logic will do everything le can do and more
Old 12-14-2004, 05:02 AM

DP & Logic came from MIDI , Pro Tools came from Audio.
Check about the subject.
This makes the major difference - Pro Tools is still superior in some audio elements (though LE is limited in track count and even native power with Logic Express included)

Logic & DP offer far better MIDI capabilites.

Before you even go to that question ask yourself if you'll use more audio or midi. in my case 90% is audio and "quantizing" a drummer is still easier (even with crippled BD LE) than on other solutions.

But to play MIDI in realtime transpose? impossible with PT Internal MIDI engine .
Old 12-14-2004, 05:22 AM

I,m also thinking about moving over from pro-tools (just thinking before anyone starts abusing me!) I have heard that the learning curve is pretty steep between the programmes (can anyone verify this?) What about transferring PT files into logic, how does that work..?

At present i'm using a Mac G4 400 Digi 001 and PTLE 5.1. I'm also looking at a new G5 as well as the G4 is getting old.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:40 AM

Well i use all 3 apps and i enjoy them all" the big difference is pro tools tells you how it wants to work'
you have a edit and mix window and thats it (really only one window because you can get your mix parameters in the edit window) on the other hand you tell logic how you want it to work according to your needs.(same as dp) logic and dp are far more involved than pro tools only because of there extensive midi applications"
althought for editing audio pro tools has it hands down IMHO to be well rounded maybe you should use one of them and over time learn the others and there strengths so you can make a informed opinion.Logic 7 has some awsome software synths and samplers (maybe digidesign is listening) however since they dont even keep you a FREE mp3 option i wont count on it. There all great applications ' however if you are really into midi go for logic and if you do almost all audio i would say pro tools is the way to go,
James
Old 12-14-2004, 06:30 AM

It's worth noting that Digidesign hardware is required to run Pro Tools LE (or TDM, for that matter). There are no specific external audio hardware requirements for Logic Pro; it will run using the built-in audio hardware.

Many people opt for both (say, an Mbox + Logic Pro) inasmuch as this provides you with two stellar software suites that should handle anything you throw at them. If you need more inputs, opt for a Digi 002R + Pro Tools LE.

Another advantage is that the Pro Tools LE software may run on both Mac OS X and Windows XP machines, which, if you have a spare modern Intel-based PC around that meets the basic compatibility requirements, gives you two editing machines.

I know of one situation where a friend of mine has a G5 iMac with a optical-coaxial convertor box that feeds 48 kHz digital audio into the SPDIF input of the Mbox. Works a charm, and he can always opt to park the Mbox on the Mac to check sessions (he works in audio for game design).
Old 12-14-2004, 07:14 AM

The other thing to keep in mind is that you can buy PTLE/002R and then get a competitive upgrade to DP for less than $350. Then you have both a strong audio app (PTLE) and a strong midi app (DP).

I have trouble coming to grips with Logic after years of PT use. DP is closer to PT in functions and workflow than Logic.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:27 AM

Quote:
The other thing to keep in mind is that you can buy PTLE/002R and then get a competitive upgrade to DP for less than $350. Then you have both a strong audio app (PTLE) and a strong midi app (DP).

I have trouble coming to grips with Logic after years of PT use. DP is closer to PT in functions and workflow than Logic.
that's what I just did last week.

Digital Performer IMHO is SO MUCH BETTER than PT for MIDI, and honestly, I'm starting to see that it even has PT beat for audio in many ways. Seriously. And I've been using PT for 5 years.

The DRUM MIDI window in DP is worth the 350 alone. It's pretty intuitive as well. Logic seems kind of quirky to me. Even though I must admit I did buy it and nearly installed it...DP just won me over in the end though.

NOt to mention thew CPU drain is much less in DP.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:30 AM

Logic is pain in the ***** to learn. I bought it and sold it a month later. Ableton Live 4 takes care of all my needs.