Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Charles Dye\'s \"seven course in mixing\"??

this is very interesting.

the face of hypocrisy and arrogance standing tall.

why is it so hard for people to look at themselves in the mirror?

ah yes,

the face of hypocrisy and arrogance .

you wouldn't want it staring back at you if it could reveal who you really are.

ehh.... everybody is entitled to their thoughts and opinions.

some just keep it to themselves.

others need to hear themselves speak.

so what does this really have to do with charles?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:02 PM

he comes "underdog" to save the day.

robo "looking for any opportunity to bust mm's balls" cop.

seriously. this IS about charles and the lack of respect some people have for SUCCESSFUL engineers.

sound familiar?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:45 PM

hey seeker,

charles is well respected by many for obvious and clear reasons that are real and tangible.

but there are others who make wild and distorted claims just to draw attention to themselves.

guess what, nobody really cares that much.

best,

robocop
Old 02-09-2005, 04:25 PM

huh?

wha'?

Thought I heard something...

Anyway, never mind. Where were we?
Old 02-09-2005, 05:24 PM

I found Charles' articles very informative and helpful when I first got
my Pro Tools system.

I think his work is inspirational for those of us who work "inside the box".

He even took the time to e-mail me words of encouragement.

I think he's a pretty nice guy...

Myshell
Old 02-09-2005, 07:11 PM

I just wanted to say that Charles Dye's teaching technique has greatly improved my understanding and ability to mix.

I purchased my first DAW a few years ago (Pro Tools Mix Plus) and had never used an EQ or Compressor. I didn't have any experience with hardware either. Started out "Mixing In The Box."

Since I didn't have the experience with analogue gear it was very difficult to figure out what the hell I was doing with a mix system. I purchased a couple books on mixing but the problem was they didn't have any audible examples (no a/b'ing) and their gear was different from my software "gear." I also purchased a couple of books on mastering. What I found was a lot of philosophy but nothing that really showed me how to implement that philosophy. I think technology was a factor but so was fear. The cooks didn't want their secret recipes to be known.

Then Charles Dye comes out and lays it all on the table. He's using the same tools I'm using, and shows the plug-in settings and the before/after results, and describes the philosophy behind it. To someone that has never worked in a mixing studio or even with a mixing engineer this information was priceless. Suddenly those plug-ins were worth all the $$$ I payed for them now that I could actually USE them.

I will be purchasing his DVD mixing course and it looks like others have followed his lead. I recently purchased Wave's mixing courses.

I hope other mixers follow his lead. Now, more than ever (because of the huge increase in DAWs), is this information needed. It's only going to increase the quality of music and increase the competition. I think that's a great thing.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:34 PM

I want to apologize to Charles and all that were offended by my post. I only meant to ask some very blunt questions out of curiosity. I now realized it caused only negativity and was uncalled for. It seems from the above posts that Charles has helped many people down the Pro Tools path.

After a hard day at the music industry, it is easy to come home feeling very cynical. I should not have dumped that on this thread.

I request that the moderator delete it if it would help keep the post on topic.

I regret the post and ask for Charles and the DUC's forgiveness.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:14 PM

Thanks boneboy!! Apology accepted.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:21 AM

Quote:
I want to apologize to Charles and all that were offended by my post. I only meant to ask some very blunt questions out of curiosity. I now realized it caused only negativity and was uncalled for. It seems from the above posts that Charles has helped many people down the Pro Tools path.

After a hard day at the music industry, it is easy to come home feeling very cynical. I should not have dumped that on this thread.

I request that the moderator delete it if it would help keep the post on topic.

I regret the post and ask for Charles and the DUC's forgiveness.

Wow!! I was wondering when you were going to respond and I really wasn't expecting that answer.

Thanks for the apology. And thanks for coming forward and doing that BB!!

You can reach Charles at [email protected] That address is on his homepage www.charlesdye.com He was made aware of the post but being the very positive guy he is, he doesnt respond to posts like that.

Unfortunately you will also find that your post started spreading like wildfire through the AE community such as here at Gearslutz and MARSH and who knows where else. So there might be a bit of ammends to do. I'm sure most will accept the apology.

Here is a quote that I like from Charles. It's from Hard Disk Life 03.01.2003:

"As you continue to grow in your career keep this in mind: The difference between "name" engineers and good engineers who don't have their pictures in magazines is luck and good fortune...maybe. There are many brilliant engineers in the world and whether they are in MIX magazine or not does not define their abilities."

Charles you Rock dude!

Charles is also planning to do a Mix Workshop tour. Come on out Boneboy, if he is in your area. It will be very educational. You will find that Charles is not only willing to educate but he is also willing to learn new things himself. Maybe we can learn some cool stuff from you and some of your methods to mixing. It's all about learning, getting more experience, coming up with new and creative methods, swapping ideas and having fun. Because after all, we all share the love of music and experimenting with sound.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-10-2005, 03:18 AM

That's dignified, BB. Thank you for coming forward. I'm sure Charles also accepts the apology too.