Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2001, 09:14 PM

Default Maximum RAM usable by Windows (was Athlon overheating thread)

I'd like to move the discussion about the maximum usable RAM by Windows to a new thread.

The discussion is about if 256MB or 512MB is the maximum allowed in Windows 98SE/ME. I believe it left off at 512MB, and any more than 512MB will actually slow your system down, but also that 512MB doesn't have a noticable improvement over 256MB (which doesn't sound quite right).

I'd like to add two additional things to this thread.

RAM Quality
First, many RAM vendors recommend purchasing their higher-end RAM for a more stable system. The price difference is quite a bit (256MB of PC2100 is $67 el cheapo, or $127 for higher quality). Does experience say that you get what you pay for and the better the RAM the more stable the system? Or is it just a ploy to get you to spend more money unnecessarily.

Windows XP
Does Windows XP have the same 512MB limitation? I know it isn't even out yet, but does anyone know? People are already doing beta tests on the beta version of XP and say it is rock solid stable.

Thanks!

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: pcvsmac ]
Old 06-20-2001, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Maximum RAM usable by Windows (was Athlon overheating thread)

I would say that Windows XP will not have this ram issue, since it adapts more NT code into the OS, And I hear that the first release candidate is being tested now.

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 06-20-2001, 05:00 AM

Holy crap. I didn't know that. Above 512 can SLOW down your system under 98/ME? Thats good to know.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:57 PM

Here is the link to our past discussion on this topic. Please exscuse the attitudes demonstrated on this thread as it was during a very stressful period dealing with a technical topic.
http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ul...&f=33&t=001087

Christian
Old 06-20-2001, 11:47 PM

thanks a million. that thread answered all the questions i had about whether RAM can be used by the OS.

now, about RAM quality and Windows XP...does anyone have anything to share about those?

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: pcvsmac ]
Old 06-21-2001, 06:58 PM

I can share a few things you might want to consider. I used to design memories (SRAM not DRAM) but the physics are identical...

All semicondutor devices slow down as temperature goes up. It's the nature of how electrons and holes move through the semiconductor itself. The fact that they slow down cannot be changed by anyone's design.

When you buy a chip, any chip, it slows down as temperature goes up. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for, and this is true in memory also. Most memory sold to major machine manufacturers is tested and provided with more margin on speed and power. The stuff that's left over (meaning it passes, but not with a lot of room to spare) gets sold on the after market under different specs. The problem is...

...that the people who buy the left over stuff are interested in taking your money, so they sell it without necessarily telling yo what the speed grade is. Unfortunately, in a lot of these machines, we're burning more power than the average PC and heating the box up, which makes the memory slow down, and when the memory slows down, there MAY NOT be enough margin in your chipset, so you get a crash once in awhile.

If you're running a slower system, with a lower power processor, then you may not see as many problems as someone who uses the same memory in a high power, higher temperature system.

It's just the physics.....

Mark