Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2010, 10:14 PM

Default OT: Monitor management. Two outputs mixed together for 1 set of Monitors.

Okay. So this is becoming way more complex than I need this to be.

Basically I am looking for a simple little mixer/reverse splitter or etc. that will allow me to plug both the outputs 1-2 from my Aurora 16 (using a volume switch) and control room outputs from my Digital Mixer into my powered speakers. I would really prefer to not have to plug another thing into a power outlet and I am looking for simplicity here. The last thing I want is another big box on my desk with a bunch of wires running to it. Would a simple splitter work for something like this? Is there a 1 Rack Space simple mixer?

More Details below if you are interested:

I have a Digital Mixer board that had previously been doing all my conversion (DM-3200). I have recently switched to a Lynx Aurora for my conversion, but I still have lots of things that are routed to my Digital Mixer board that I would like to play out of the control room Monitors (just 1 pair). I don't want to feed the Lynx back into the Mixer board because then the great D/A conversion will be converted again through that board.

I purchased the TC electronic Level Pilot which is basically a volume control between my Aurora 16 and the Powered Monitors. My monitors (ASP8's) had two inputs on each speaker, so I thought that I could plug both inputs in and mix between the Digital Mixer and the Lynx output with the TC Level Pilot. --Wrong. I am getting some weird impedance issue or something when I have both inputs plugged in (the level is wayyyy low when both inputs are plugged in).

Suggestions?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 PM

Default Re: OT: Monitor management. Two outputs mixed together for 1 set of Monitors.

Withought knowing what kind of dig console you have. I would say re patch things the way you actually want to use them sounds like the right answer and some work. But here's the prob with the shortcut your asking about. Most micro mixers you might get for this monitoring only job are going to be digital and have their own converters just like your console. Seems to be the reason you don't want to use yor bpard is mute as analog mixers will color your wonderfully converted sound and there are a grab bag of1u digital mixers that will do what your trying to prevent. So idk but what you may be looking for is a summing mixer but even that isn't much good if your not trying to update your patching for new ew equipment.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 PM

Default Re: OT: Monitor management. Two outputs mixed together for 1 set of Monitors.

Just confirmed on tascam sight your console will do this. You will need to re patch. If you want to get an analog summing mixer that is a good addition but a patchbay and some time in the books is imho the best rout.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniespeaks View Post
Just confirmed on tascam sight your console will do this.
Thanks for your response.

I'm a little confused by what you mean that the DM-3200 will do this. Do you mean that it will sum the mixes from the DM-3200 and the Lynx together for the Speakers?

I know it will do that, but it will go through the DM-3200's converters. I am especially wanting to use the Lynx's D/A conversion for mixing as I find the sound to be much clearer and punchier right out of the Lynx then through the DM-3200.

The closest thing I have been able to find is something like this: But again, it seems like it only lets you choose one input at a time and not mix two of them together. But it is designed to be as passive as possible to the signals going through it.

I am probably just in the denial process that I need to start looking for a new mixer board.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 06-11-2010, 12:44 AM

Now I'm a bit confused as to the flow your trying to accomplish. So you have a total of 16 available digital ins to analog outs if you want to use the lynx for just d/a. Is this coming from your console or coming from an hd card? Are you just usuing the console as a control surface? I guess I'm not understanding the mix and match. If you get a patch bay you can patch things back into pt from your console so you can monitor it threw the outs on the lynx. You could hardwire things but it will be pretty inflexable later...

So things that are outboard should prob be brought in the box to mix, if I'm understanding you right. Use the digital outs on your console to the digital ins on your lynx itb stuff doesn't need a/d so you don't need to use i/o to convert it. Your lynx your lynx has a summing mixer built into it. If your doing this because your using all your i/o a patchbay is the way to go.

If you want to use a simple splitter a matchbox will provide imp and basic source level matching. But to clarify for me hoe do you work now?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Just wire 3.3kOhm resistors at the end of each live cable before they hit the join.

Depending on how you grounded things, you may or may not want to join the shields.

You will encounter a 6db loss and perhaps some loss at high end.

Edit: You can build these into XLRs themselves.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniespeaks View Post
Now I'm a bit confused as to the flow your trying to accomplish. So you have a total of 16 available digital ins to analog outs if you want to use the lynx for just d/a. Is this coming from your console or coming from an hd card? Are you just usuing the console as a control surface? I guess I'm not understanding the mix and match. If you get a patch bay you can patch things back into pt from your console so you can monitor it threw the outs on the lynx. You could hardwire things but it will be pretty inflexable later...

So things that are outboard should prob be brought in the box to mix, if I'm understanding you right. Use the digital outs on your console to the digital ins on your lynx itb stuff doesn't need a/d so you don't need to use i/o to convert it. Your lynx your lynx has a summing mixer built into it. If your doing this because your using all your i/o a patchbay is the way to go.

If you want to use a simple splitter a matchbox will provide imp and basic source level matching. But to clarify for me hoe do you work now?
Thank you for your interest in helping me with this. I really do appreciate your time. It sounds like you are heading in the right direction with me.

My set-up is currently like this: I use my DM3200 (Digital Mixer) TDIF outputs into a 192 Digital. This gives me 16 in and outs from Pro Tools and integrates the mixer nicely with Pro Tools HD.

I have some outboard Mic Pre's that I am connection to the Aurora 16 (The Lynx was purchased with the idea that my studio is growing and I'd eventually be able to fill it up, but currently I am only using 6 inputs). The majority of my recordings go through those 6 inputs into Pro Tools. When I need more inputs, then I use the DM-3200's 16 preamps for more mic preamps and etc. I am using outputs of the Aurora 3-8 to go back through the preamps to use built in EQ's or add tube saturation and etc.

My talkback and headphone mixes use to be all routed through the DM-3200 and before I got the Lynx, I would use outputs 1-2 for the current mix, 3-4 for the current instrument I was tracking, 5-6 if I was tracking another instrument and etc., 16 was sending out the click. This allowed me to set-up several different headphone mixes using the Auxillary outputs.

I also use the DM-3200 as a control surface for Pro Tools and mixing other inputs such as computer audio, sound module output (which could now be hardwired to the Lynx) and etc.

The nice thing about using the control room output of the mixer board is that I can quickly switch the control room monitors to the different headphone mixes and I can send out a mix of the computer audio to the studio and etc.

However, when I get to the mixing side of the project, then I don't need to use the DM-3200's capabilities since I do all my mixing in the box. So in that case, I have been thinking of just switching my outputs in Pro Tools to the Lynx outputs 1-2 during that process.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 06-11-2010, 10:07 AM

It certainly sounds like you have enough gear to warrent a flexable patching solution. The pita seems to be that you need diferent patches between record and mix. A patch bay wired for you will let you make that change quick and ez. Plus your headphone mix's will be patchable too in case you don't need discrete mix for each player. I would fins a consultant to wire it for me as that's more downtime figuring out how to wire it . I don't know any one in utah but I'm sure finding someone won't be a problem just ask around.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Makes sense. I am wayyy overdue for a patchbay. I am getting under my desk switching cables at least once every other week (I know... it's pathetic, but purchasing Plug-ins, preamps, converters and etc. has always been way more exciting then a patchbay and the multitude of cables patchbays require).
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 06-11-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundoz View Post
Just wire 3.3kOhm resistors at the end of each live cable before they hit the join.

Depending on how you grounded things, you may or may not want to join the shields.

You will encounter a 6db loss and perhaps some loss at high end.

Edit: You can build these into XLRs themselves.
Sounds interesting. Can you direct me to where I could get more information on this?

For example, how you would wire the resistor into the cable and etc.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4