Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-10-2022, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Looping PT+Atmos Suite into consumer Home Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonantRhythm View Post
Hey...

As has been said before...you're making this WAY too complicated.

The ONLY REASON you involve a receiver is to DECODE a [Dolby] Atmos signal.

When you're mixing...there is NEVER an [Dolby] ENCODED signal. Period.

The ONLY times you're going to encounter an ENCODED signal is:
1. Playing an MP4 export from DAPS
2. Playing STREAMED Atmos content through a service [Netflix/AppleTV]
2a. Current an Apple TV device is the 'easiest' to stream an Atmos signal into your receiver.

These are 2 separate flows....if you have an audio interface with enough inputs and a receiver that outputs line-level audio you could feed your audio interface with the output of the receiver allowing you to monitor a consumer decode of content (whether that's Netflix or your own mp4).

Thanks. The point about the encoded signal has been clarified, I’m clear (I’m actually getting DAPS this week to familiarize myself more).

I get the “simpler” solution would be to just buy another capable interface or MC, plus a compatible AVR, and connect analog (or digitally) .

However, that’s actually “complicated” for me, because it’s likely another 7-10 grand I can’t afford. Upgrading my studio and this home space with speakers is pricey enough (Plus more gear and cables in space I’d prefer to keep more minimal if possible).

The AVR i mentioned was appealing because it ticked so many boxes and at a good price point. So I’ve been motivated to explore some kind work-around.

And have learned a ton in the last week here, other forums, and with more research. Here’s what I’ve learned so far for anyone interested:

- hdmi 2.x is definitely capable of sending enough PCM to get the job done. However, that potential has seemingly not been designed into products…yet.
- but there’s enough emerging needs and developments that it seems plausible this could be on the horizon. Updates to Monterey apparently include expanded channel configurations in audio-midi setup. Also, routing multichannel pcm from gaming systems is already a consumer need, and in due time the channel count could easily exceed what’s currently used.
- in the meantime, I’m waiting to hear back from the company who makes the AVR, who are apparently very engaged with developing their product. Also, there may be a path to send 8 channels of pcm with the AVR I listed which may be acceptable as a stop gap…5.1.2. Still gathering more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2022, 11:11 AM

I'm glad you're doing your research. You're right, there is going to be A LOT of evolution in products over the next few years as this becomes more consumer-friendly.

My own personal opinion, take it or leave it, is that you're going to be investing money into equipment that will ultimately need to be replaced [fairly soon] if you want a workable [can effectively mix] Atmos setup. 5.1.2 is a fantastic upgrade from stereo for a Home Theatre scenario...but not a professional mixing environment.

The complexity [due to dolby] and the number of channels necessary inherently makes adopting this technology as a professional expensive [for a speaker setup]. There's really no ifs/ands/buts that changes that right now. Particularly in your case where you want the consumer experience in parallel.

Also, as mentioned before, given your stated requirements I would really consider looking into a Dante-based solution. That will at least provide for a more future-proof solution.

Cheers and Good Luck!
Old 01-10-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonantRhythm View Post
I'm glad you're doing your research. You're right, there is going to be A LOT of evolution in products over the next few years as this becomes more consumer-friendly.

My own personal opinion, take it or leave it, is that you're going to be investing money into equipment that will ultimately need to be replaced [fairly soon] if you want a workable [can effectively mix] Atmos setup. 5.1.2 is a fantastic upgrade from stereo for a Home Theatre scenario...but not a professional mixing environment.

The complexity [due to dolby] and the number of channels necessary inherently makes adopting this technology as a professional expensive [for a speaker setup]. There's really no ifs/ands/buts that changes that right now. Particularly in your case where you want the consumer experience in parallel.

Also, as mentioned before, given your stated requirements I would really consider looking into a Dante-based solution. That will at least provide for a more future-proof solution.

Cheers and Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice. Yes, the plan isn’t necessarily to get a pro mixing environment, per se. I’ve already got a pro mix room with a capable interface and monitor controller which I’ll be equipping with a 7.1.4 speaker setup in a few months.

That said, I have been trying to aim as high as I feasibly could. And point taken about future-proofing…and I do love the idea of a Dante based system bc of how flexible it is. I’ve been looking into that route as well.

But the only Dante AVR I’ve been able to find that’s remotely within reach was a jbl that cost 6k…and apparently has had tons of ongoing issues. So not only is that kind of dough better spent in my primary mix space, I don’t want to spend thousands on a buggy device that may well soon date itself as well.

But if anyone knows of a Dante solution that’s more within reach, I’m all ears. I’m still exploring options on that front.

As it is, I’ve got to get some kind of AVR and speaker setup for home. So if the best I can do is spend 1300 and get good home theater, with xlr outs for reference monitors…and maybe even possibly loop in a 5.1.2 output from my Mac, then i at least protect my investment in speakers and conceivably update my AVR-MC situation in due time.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk