Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-28-2002, 09:18 PM

Default inputs on digi cutting out

one last post for tonight. the input jacks on my digi interface are cutting out intermittently. The jacks have not received undue stress from pulling cables and such. Is this a common problem? I've had the unit 2 years, but it hasn't logged that many hours of tracking.

Is this a soldering thing or could it be software related?
Old 08-29-2002, 12:56 AM

Default Re: inputs on digi cutting out

This is a common probmelm, and it is due to poor wave soldering of the PCB. If you are comfortable opening the unit up, then you can repair yourself. make sure ot touch up all the solder points to all the connectors on the PCB, not just the faulty ones.

Otherwisee take it to your local tech and have them do it.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:37 AM

I had the same problem 'Where' has described. The tech term is 'dry solder joints' and is common amongst PC board mounted sockets (as in the 001). A quick going over with the soldering iron fixed my problems. It also pays to check and tighten the nuts on the sockets from time to time as well. This can help prevent future problems.

There have also been issues with certain brands of TRS plugs not fitting the sockets on the 001. Assumming though that you have not changed anything and considering the time you've had your 001, I'd be inclined to think dry joints are the cause of your trouble.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:53 AM

There is another explaination for this. The shaft of some 1/4" connectors are not of the same length and thickness and therefore cause intermittent connections. Digidesign described this problem in detail a long time ago. You should do a search to read up on this.

Before tearing apart you Digi 001 I would simply try to replace the connectors with another good quality brand. I had the same problem and this cleared it up. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2002, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
The tech term is 'dry solder joints' and is common amongst PC board mounted sockets (as in the 001).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually it is called a "cold solder joint", as the connection was not heated porperly to make the connection. It is caused by improper depth in the wave soldering dip tank. Basically, poor quality control.

I too seriously doubt this is cable connector related, given you've had the unit for quite some time.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:29 AM

I had this problem ealier this year. Just gone over the solder points and all was fine again.

Greets

Markus
Old 09-03-2002, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by where02190:
Actually it is called a "cold solder joint"....

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Depends where you are from. Where I'm from they are called 'dry solder joints' or simply 'dry joints'. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Both terms are correct, 'cold solder joints' are, as you state, in reference to the soldering temperature. 'Dry solder joints' are in reference to insufficient whetting (this is the correct spelling) of the joint. The latter can be caused by either low temperature, a lack of flux, dirty connectors or movement during soldering.
Mechanical movement later of such a joint will aggrivate the fault.