Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2013, 10:09 AM

Default please help with this weird behavior

after opening a session (any of them) everything is ok and slowly everything becomes sluggish, meters behave in a jumpy way, cursor looks choppy editing is very hard, punching in is always late...
audio is fine, the only thing that fixes it temporarily is rebooting the computer so I assume it is the system itself, reinstalled OSX 10.7.5 three times, same thing... reinstalled PT, cleaned all prefs, etc...
Old 04-20-2013, 11:47 PM

Default Re: please help with this weird behavior

Maybe deactivate all tracks and activate one track at a time in sequence and check , if the problem exists.
This could possibly narrow down the problem to a specific track.
Maybe delete the wavecache and let it rebuild on reopening the session ?
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 04-21-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anibal View Post
after opening a session (any of them) everything is ok and slowly everything becomes sluggish, meters behave in a jumpy way, cursor looks choppy editing is very hard, punching in is always late...
audio is fine, the only thing that fixes it temporarily is rebooting the computer so I assume it is the system itself, reinstalled OSX 10.7.5 three times, same thing... reinstalled PT, cleaned all prefs, etc...
What other processes do you have running besides PT and it's plugins? You could have something hogging cpu or even a memory leaky program/process. Take a look in OSX Activity Monitor. How is your computer running otherwise - any problems when not running PT? If there is you may have a computer hardware problem like memory going south.

QAPLA!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Maybe deactivate all tracks and activate one track at a time in sequence and check , if the problem exists.
This could possibly narrow down the problem to a specific track.
Maybe delete the wavecache and let it rebuild on reopening the session ?
it happens with all the sessions... small, big, all of them
Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 AM

Hardly any useful information here... (EDIT: Ah not so fast.. see my correction below) We need much more information about your system hardware, especially all the disk drives, exact specs/models, and which one is the dedicated audio drive. Not having a dedicated audio drive or an under-spec drive can cause this problem. What exact model Mac/date-name code, what exact memory is installed, etc. What exact version of Pro Tools?

Has every last recommended systems optimization been applied? Go back and check. This type of behavior is possible by simply overlooking disabling spotlight indexing or having time machine running.... and it is quite possible you are missing the same (or all?) optimizations each time you reinstall OS X.

Darryl

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-21-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:39 PM

And I apologize because some of the information I was asking for is in your signature (which does not show up on tapatalk... but I just noticed it on my desktop browser).

> PT 10.3.4 HD3 Accel
> Mac Pro Nehalem 2.26, OS X 10.7.5
> 16 gig ram
> D Command

So a potentially powerful system. But again exact disk drive specs will help. I've seen exactly this behavior from both under-spec disks and from systems missing optimizations (esp. spotlight and time machine). Be especially careful you do not have drives like the WDC Caviar Green with their horrible "green" power management features.

If you exclude drive hardware and optimizations then next step is probalby looking at all your plugins. This happens with sessions with no plugins at all in them? Right? (if its sessions with plugins then what ones, how many instances ans what are the playback engine IO buffer and CPU related settings?). Are all the plugins installed on the Mac up to date? Try moving all the plugin files out of the plugin folders (the old location and the new AAX location) them all and testing with an empty session trying to recreate a problem. Then move half back and restart and see if this problem re-happens (yes plugins causing this even if they are not instantiated).

Darryl

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-21-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And I apologize because some of the information I was asking for is in your signature (which does not show up on tapatalk... but I just noticed it on my desktop browser).

> PT 10.3.4 HD3 Accel
> Mac Pro Nehalem 2.26, OS X 10.7.5
> 16 gig ram
> D Command

So a potentially powerful system. But again exact disk drive specs will help. I've seen exactly this behavior from both under-spec disks and from systems missing optimizations (esp. spotlight and time machine). Be especially careful you do not have drives like the WDC Caviar Green with their horrible "green" power management features.

If you exclude drive hardware and optimizations then next step is probalby looking at all your plugins. This happens with sessions with no plugins at all in them? Right? (if its sessions with plugins then what ones, how many instances ans what are the playback engine IO buffer and CPU related settings?). Are all the plugins installed on the Mac up to date? Try moving all the plugin files out of the plugin folders (the old location and the new AAX location) them all and testing with an empty session trying to recreate a problem. Then move half back and restart and see if this problem re-happens (yes plugins causing this even if they are not instantiated).

Darryl
hey Darryl, I think I got it... I had just upgraded to 10.7.5 and time machine was on (I never use it) and also spotlight... I had them disabled with 10.7.4 so I didn't even think that they could be on.. oh well, thank you for your observation, so far so good...
Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 PM

That can do it, hope you have it fixed.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:12 AM

well... it's happening again... choppy playback almost all the time
noticed some other people with the same problem
reinstalled PT 10.3.2 and it doesn't boot up, as soon as it tries to open, it quits
very, very frustrated, moderators?