Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2008, 12:11 PM

Default PT keeps saving files to system drive ARGGHHH

Hello all.....

Recently I looked at my system HD and noticed that multiple session's "audio files and fade files" where saved to my system HD. Although I have ALWAYS used an external firewire for all my sessions. I've noticed this happening quite often. Am I hitting something or doing something wrong???? I always end up having to copy the files over to my external. Then PT says "missing files" I show it where to locate the files and "commit" to the new links. kindof a hassle.

Is this related?
I noticed also on my system HD that there is a folder called "Volumes". Most people have this folder though its usually HIDDEN. For some reason or another, mine is visible. Anyways, all it is a is a folder with aliases to all internal and external hard drives. Anybody else have HD/Volumes folder visible??? Could be related? I dunno.......

....i thought maybe this folder was telling PT to save files onto different drives.

thanks in advance for all your genius!!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 12:15 PM

Default Re: PT keeps saving files to system drive ARGGHHH

Do you have round robin record allocation enabled?

Are you using template sessions stored on your desktop?

Are you checking your disk allocation when you create your session to be sure things are going where you want them to?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Are you checking your disk allocation when you create your session to be sure things are going where you want them to?

I don't really know about the round robin allocation. In my workspace...everything under "A" is listed R. Everything under "V" is listed "T". What is it supposed to be?? A, P, or T??

Does anybody have a visible "volumes" folder on the main HD??? on the first level directory.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:19 PM

I don't think that folder has anything to do with your problem. You should look into the disk allocation options and answer the other questions I asked because this is most likely simple operator error. (99% of these problems are)
Old 03-10-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Not that I am aware of.....how do you enable it???

Nope.

Yes.....All of my drives are stated under "A" as R. All under "V" are T.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Not that I am aware of.....how do you enable it???

Nope.

Yes.....All of my drives are stated under "A" as R. All under "V" are T.
That's not disk allocation. Look under the setup menu in Pro Tools and you'll find what I'm talking about.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Avid

Quote:
I don't think that folder has anything to do with your problem.
It may - I had this problem on my home system where, for some reason, it was 'double mounting' drives as network volumes, even though they were connected via FW. It wasn't a problem in Pro Tools, but with my web browsers which were saving to the 'aliased network volume' even though the actual FW volume was mounted. Very strange problem indeed. I fixed it by clearing out all network volume caches, running Cocktail and trashing network volume prefs.

I don't know if that's related to this, but thought I'd relay that, in case it may be relevant.

As for Shawn's questions - what he was asking that you answer was if you had round robin allocation enabled. Go to Setups>Disk Allocation and see if the box for Round Robin is checked or not.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think that folder has anything to do with your problem.
It may - I had this problem on my home system where, for some reason, it was 'double mounting' drives as network volumes, even though they were connected via FW. It wasn't a problem in Pro Tools, but with my web browsers which were saving to the 'aliased network volume' even though the actual FW volume was mounted. Very strange problem indeed. I fixed it by clearing out all network volume caches, running Cocktail and trashing network volume prefs.

I don't know if that's related to this, but thought I'd relay that, in case it may be relevant.

As for Shawn's questions - what he was asking that you answer was if you had round robin allocation enabled. Go to Setups>Disk Allocation and see if the box for Round Robin is checked or not.

I'm not sure if its double mounting. I just see a folder named "Volumes" on my main HD. On every other computer in the house, its invisible. Inside it are aliases to my main HD (with a hard drive icon) and my external drives and partitions (square icons with globes in them). It may not be the same prob as yours?? I dunno.....

To reply to shawn, I followed his directions. Round robin is not enabled, and my disk allocation is set to the right folder, under my pro tools FW drive.

As for my workspace is concerned. I read somewhere that PT mays sometimes save audio files and fade files on different drives if they are labeled "R" under the workspace. Is that true.

What should my workspace "A" and "V" be labeled?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Avid

If you 'show full path names' in the Regions bin - where does it show these files are located?

I'm wondering if that Volumes folder may be part of the problem - it does sound suspiciously like the issue I had, which drove me nuts for weeks.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:

As for my workspace is concerned. I read somewhere that PT mays sometimes save audio files and fade files on different drives if they are labeled "R" under the workspace. Is that true.

No, that's not true. 'R' is the designation of a record capable volume. It is true that unless a drive is designated as such, you won't be able to record to it, but that in itself won't cause files to go there. Only disk allocation will dictate where files go in the session (audio and fade files).

Round Robin is actually a setting that is saved with the session, so it's possible that some sessions have it on and others don't which could make it difficult to catch unless you pay close attention. From your description it does sound like you have some sort of networking element working on those drives, but I still doubt that's part of the problem. You say it's "invisible" on the other machines, but how do you know it's simply not there at all?

My suggestion would be that you start specifically visiting the disk allocation window to verify that you don't have any special allocation options set so that all of the tracks are routed to the proper root media folder and that you don't have round robin enabled. Do this on every session, everytime you open them and I'm betting your issue will disappear.