Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2003, 05:49 PM

Default "Producer Of The Year Non-Cassical" - WHERE ARE THE NEPTUNES?

I dunno, but this surprised me. They have been dominating airwaves and have worked with such a diverse range of artists from hard-core hip-hop to teenie-bopper pop...to rock. Does anybody else agree with me on this one? I mean, whether you like their sound or not (which I do get a bit tired of being that it's EVERYWHERE!) I thought maybe the academy should give credit where credit is due. Dr Dre is up for that award again...but what did he put our this year...compared to The Neptunes? I love Dr Dre, don't get me wrong. People must remember that while Eminem is on Dre's label...Dre doesn't do that much production for Eminem who is becoming more and more self-produced.

What do you think?
Old 01-08-2003, 05:59 PM

Default Re: "Producer Of The Year Non-Cassical" - WHERE ARE THE NEPTUNES?

i agree with you on that one. although i am not to interested in the stuff they put out, look at record sales alone! But im not sure what they base the award on. just because they sell doesnt mean they are the best!
Old 01-08-2003, 09:28 PM

Are you kidding me? Dre did a alot of club bangers this year. What about Eve, Jay Z, Ja Rule and all those damn 50 Cent (G G G G G Unit) tapes that seem to have New York in a trance right now. Even though he may not hardly touch the MPC himself (don't challenge me on that one, please), he executive produces alot of stuff that gets heavy rotation, including Eminem's alblum. My vote goes to either him, the Neptunes or Just Blaze. If either one of them win, I'm cool.

L-Fire
EMO till its over
Old 01-08-2003, 11:03 PM

I heard that they (or managment) didn't submit their entry in time for the voting! Major drag, because they rule.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:11 PM

the Neptunes make me curious...could someone here explain their "genius'? I mean there stuff is all over the radio...I was listening to a song of their's on MTV I think it was from clipse...anyway...it was a 4 bar groove just repeated from begining to end then with people rapping over it and a couple of girls in the backround...Im not putting them down...I am honestly just curious why they are so successful and for you guys that do respect them if you can explain what set's them apart...

Thanks
Old 01-09-2003, 08:28 AM

For any one out there that is not up on it ... the academy doesn't necessarily nominate those that deserve the awards. It is still political. I am definitely feeling the Neptunes. I think that they are very talented. They put The Clipse on the map and blazed Justin Timberlakes CD. If you are looking for them to get their just props then we will have to wait for the MTV or People's Choice Awards.

One!
Old 01-09-2003, 09:11 AM

Oh yeah etherize ... let me try and explain the phenom that is the Neptunes. The reason they are so hot is because they have talent for one and two they tailor their production to fit the artist in question. If you really listen to their stuff you will see that their beats are simple for the most part. The thing they capitalize on it is that they have the flavor of the month - figurtively speaking. There is a vast demographic of listeners out there. You can't make one type of music for everyone. I think we all fall victim to thinking that everyone should like the same music we like done the way that we like it. Not everyone likes rock, hip hop, classical, gospel, country, etc. For instance, I am from the dirty south and I love hip hop but I think that Master P is one of the worst rappers in the game now. He is an incredible business man but his raps are garbage. However, his is considered a god in a lot of the urban and inner-city areas in the south. Feel me? Everyone has their own taste. I can't put him down if I don't like his stuff because he is appealing to his fans. All I can say to him, and all others out there, is handle your business. If the fans are buying your stuff and bigging you up then keep on doing what you are doing. As a matter of fact, I am glad that there are such diverse artists out there. I like to chill out to classical music, but I also like to wild out to rock, get inspired to gospel, mellow out to some jazz, dance to some pop, and bob my head to some hip hop. It is all about diversity.

Well I relinqush my stand on the soap box.

Next Up! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by scoobdaproduca:
For any one out there that is not up on it ... the academy doesn't necessarily nominate those that deserve the awards. It is still political.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not exactly.

It may be true that there's some politics to getting on the initial nomination list (the ballot members vote on to determine the five nominations in each category). But then again, it's not so hard to get on those lists anyway (though perhaps harder in some categories than others). While fillng out the nomination ballet last year, I came across a record I'd made that had absolutely no business being considered. Not only did it suck musically (I did not produce), it wasn't on a real label and it couldn't have sold more than ten copies -- if that. How did it get on the list? I guess the producer submitted it, but I'm sure he didn't waste any favors doing so.

When it comes down to who gets nominated, it's not politics; it's an arcane system in which Academy members vote in categories about which they know very little. It generally comes down to name recognition; an act that's had success has a better chance of getting the nod because they're at least known. If the nominating system was changed so that members could only vote in categories for which they had actual insight and experience, it might be a different story.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:15 PM

I dunno

Sure they have gotten a lot of airplay recently, but mroe so due to the artists being pushed. Aside from hot in here, I don't think any of their productions have been huge sellers relatively. Labels can spend a lot of money on promotion to get a lot of air play, but that doesn't mean its selling, or selling relative the the money put into it. Sure, you hear their Britney and Nsync productions which have sold well, but not relative to the artists previous sales.

As for them tailoring themselves to the artists, I respectfully dissagree as I think their productions are easily identifiable regardless of the artist. They always have those square sounding stecatto parts and stiff drums (which I like). And that same hi picthed synth sound in the choruses.

I do respect them for having thier own sound, even if I don't particualarly care for most of it. They do have a song out now, which I must say is my favorite song right now, but I have yet to hear a radio station announce the artist/song name. I think the reason I like it is because the hook is so good, wheras most neptunes songs song have a hook or anything really catchy to hum along with (aside from hot in here, which i credit mostly to Nelly). Actually, I can't even say if the song I am refering to is by the Neptunes, I just assume it is because it has that same sounding production they have in every song. but it could be someone ripping them off.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:05 PM

To me Eminem makes idiot music, idiot prejudice and so. Nothing to contribute to the musical scene.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.