Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-14-2021, 11:45 AM

Default Eleven Rack with Tascam Model 12

Hi.
I've had an Eleven Rack for a few years, and never recorded with it.
I just bought a Tascam Model 12 multitrack recorder, and am wondering if I can run the Eleven Rack into the Tascam to record.
I'm not sure how to connect the two.
Has anyone used an Eleven Rack with a multitrack recorder?
Do I need an additional amplifier, or will the Eleven Rack act as a powered audio interface?
Thanks.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack with Tascam Model 12

Hi Welcome to DUC

You can of course connect the Eleven Rack with the Tascam mixer.

The mixer does not have S/PDIF or AES/EBU inputs so you have to connect via analog. You take a line level output from the Eleven Rack and connect it to a line level input on the Tascam mixer. You would normally use the Main Output XLR connector(s) on the rear panel to go into a 1/4" TRS (balanced phono) channel input on the Tascam. So you need a XLR to 1/4" TRS balanced cable to do this. You need to go into the model 12 on TRS not XLR because this is a line level not mic signal. If you want to run stereo out of the Eleven Rack, say if you are using stereo effects in the Eleven Rack then you'll need two cables and use one of the two stereo channels the Model 12 has.

If you are new to all this just get mono running first. Get one thing working at a time. Get the Eleven Rack working to monitors connected to its Main Outputs, then get the Main outputs connected to the Model 12 so you can hear the output in monitors/headphones connected to the Model 12, then get it working as a recorder or interface to a DAW if that's what you want. Do one thing at a time, checking as you go. The output meters in Pro Tools are super handy for seeing signal levels/debugging things, described in the Eleven Rack documentation.

One hassle with this setup is you don't get a dry guitar signal to the Model 12/DAW, so if this was me I'd put a DI box in front of the Eleven Rack to split off a DI signal to a mono Mic input on the Model 12. Then you can use that later on for reamping through the Eleven Rack. And/or if you use Pro Tools you have all those amp sims and effects available in the Avid Complete Plugin bundle and can reamp/tweak through those, but that all starts by also recording the dry guitar DI signal when you also record the Eleven Rack output.

Those Tascam mixers look neat, multi-channel audio interface (with ASIO support), and HUI/MCU control surface support.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mar67 View Post
Do I need an additional amplifier, or will the Eleven Rack act as a powered audio interface?
BTW this question is pretty confusing. You are not using the Eleven Rack here as either a powered amplifier (guessing what you meant?) nor an audio interface. You are just using it as a line level outboard box going into the mixer, no different than say using an outboard preamp or many other line level output boxes you might connect up to a mixer or interface.

What you are not doing is using the Eleven Rack as an audio interface, if you wanted to do that you would connect it to a computer USB port and install the Eleven Rack drivers and just use it directly. What you do *not* want to do is try to concurrently use the Eleven Rack and the Model 12 as audio interfaces to your computer/DAW say with aggregate IO on a Mac or ASIO4ALL or other utilities on a PC... that's asking for a pile of problems.
Old 12-14-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Hi Welcome to DUC

You can of course connect the Eleven Rack with the Tascam mixer.
--edit--
You would normally use the Main Output XLR connector(s) on the rear panel to go into a 1/4" TRS (balanced phono) channel input on the Tascam. So you need a XLR to 1/4" TRS balanced cable to do this. --edit--
Thank you.
This gives me somewhere to start.