Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2003, 01:02 PM

Default KONTAKT/SAMPLE CELL/DIRECT CONNECT!!!!!!?

This whole thing with KONTAKT and no SAMPLE CELL or DIRECT CONNECT...

What the hell is going on here? Why can't we use any soft samplers at all with PT 6? Is digi insane? I sure am not upgrading my system until this whole thing is resolved.They could have coordinated this with the 3rd party vendors for concurrent releases, they had all the time in the world since OSX was released. I hope we can keep a post going that really makes this issue LOUD!

HOW LONG WILL YOU WAIT TO UPGRADE BECAUSE OF THIS? please post!

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2003, 10:48 PM

Default Re: KONTAKT/SAMPLE CELL/DIRECT CONNECT!!!!!!?

The whole DIRECT CONNECT PT6 NI thing is really #$@^&!-ED UP!!!! I bought Kontakt because it was recommended BY Digidesign as replacement for Soft SampleCell. Then I learn at the Official PT6 Roadshow that Direct Connect WILL NOT be supported in PT6. WHAT THE HELL???? Looks like MACH 5 is the way to go. I like Kontakt a lot but it has to work with Pro Tools!!! Oh......, wait......, unless someone has a decent recommendation for a hard disk system out there with just as many features at 1/4 the price that works with almost EVERY 3rd party piece of software ever written.............. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 05:27 AM

tone,
exactly! It is hard to coordinate with all 3rd party vendors, but they put Sample Cell into retirement before they had any replacement at all! That is what gets me. Sure we can fork over the cash for MACH 5, but what about the investment of time etc we spent getting KONTAKT working well.

Are you upgrading to 6 or waitng? Between the hassle with ILOK and these sampler issues, I am going to be the last to upgrade!
Old 03-09-2003, 08:42 AM

I will probably never upgrade to PT6.x. The bait & switch tactic that Digidesign used regarding HD & Samplecell left me pretty cold. Audio recording , editing and mixing is my livelyhood. Business is very slow these days and my profit margin is razor thin. I can't afford to allocate any more of my time to spin the Protools upgrade compatibility wheel and hope it lands in the right spot. I'm looking seriously at other systems.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:13 AM

I was going to get a new HD system but I think that I will hold off. Too many variables right now. Here are some of my concerns:

1. PT6 doesn't work with any frame accurate video solutions so I can't even use it right now until it does. So there goes the whole post community.

2. Direct Connect/RTAS/HTDM/TDM/Audio Units/VST......... I don't care what format it is written in but Digi HAS to have a sampler RIGHT NOW that works with Pro Tools.

3. Direct Connect.......Why no DC in PT6??? Because they want to force all 3rd party software manufactures to choose a side. TDM on one side/VST on the other and Audio Units inbetween somewhere. Why not keep(provide) a 3rd party direct "something" software pipe into Pro Tools so that more software companies can concentrate on making killer apps and NOT have waste time and resources on writing code for a CLOSED ENDed/Proprietary software achitecture like TDM???? Let the consumer decide on what synth or sampler or whatever to use WITH Pro Tools, just provide this ability to the consumer. Digi will have to realize sooner or later that an open software platform in infinitly more appealing to the consumer than an exclusionary platform. I think that you will see the 3rd party dev partner catalog shrink over the next few years as a result.

4. I'll wait until PT6.1 gets released because I actually have to be able to work right when I get the system. Anyody remember the leap from 5.0 to 5.1???

5. Plug-In Pack promotion sucks!
Am I the ONLY person out here who thinks this? What happened to all of the great 3rd party plug-ins that used to be bundled with Pro Tools???

Just my concerns. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 10:20 AM

We're still waiting for an official reply, not to mention a solution from DIGI on this matter....!!!!

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Peter
Old 03-09-2003, 10:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by loopengine:
[QB] This whole thing with KONTAKT and no SAMPLE CELL or DIRECT CONNECT...

What the hell is going on here? Why can't we use any soft samplers at all with PT 6? Is digi insane? I sure am not upgrading my system until this whole thing is resolved.They could have coordinated this with the 3rd party vendors for concurrent releases, they had all the time in the world since OSX was released. I hope we can keep a post going that really makes this issue LOUD!

HOW LONG WILL YOU WAIT TO UPGRADE BECAUSE OF THIS? please post!
I won't upgrade until I can use soft samplers, soft synths etc.............. Digi should go AU but I don't think they will ; I'm not a big fan of Logic but I'm curious to see what solution (Hardware or native)Apple/Emagic will release
in the next months......I could consider switching.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:46 AM

tone-
whats the deal with "frame accurate video solutions" in PT 6??

ac
osX 10.5.5
Euphonix cs2000
Old 03-09-2003, 11:50 AM

I had not heard about the frame accurate video issues. Tone, could you give more info on that? That is just another reason to add to my list to for go the upgrade...
Old 03-09-2003, 03:08 PM

bump