Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2011, 07:38 PM

Default Can someone set me straight on AAX?

Hi:

Sorry if this is a really dumb question…

I've read in the What's New and on the Avid web site about the new AAX plugins. I use Waves Diamond and McDSP Emerald, along with quite a few other RTAS plugins. I know that they will work in PT10.

What I'm wondering is, will PT still be supporting RTAS in future versions? Or is it going to be up to the 3rd party plugin manufacturers to convert their products to AAX?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.

Gary
Finale 26.3.1
Old 10-23-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomassetti View Post
Hi:

Sorry if this is a really dumb question…

I've read in the What's New and on the Avid web site about the new AAX plugins. I use Waves Diamond and McDSP Emerald, along with quite a few other RTAS plugins. I know that they will work in PT10.

What I'm wondering is, will PT still be supporting RTAS in future versions? Or is it going to be up to the 3rd party plugin manufacturers to convert their products to AAX?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.

Gary
AAX will be the format for all future versions or pro tools. Tdm and rtas won't be supported in pro tools 11. Mcdsp has already announced that version 5 will be upgraded to AAX for free. Waves however hasn't gotten on board. They say they are waiting to see how it play out.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Can someone set me straight on AAX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Waves however hasn't gotten on board. They say they are waiting to see how it play out.
Waves is hooped.
Waves Dilemma #1
They always charged a premium for TDM
TDM is history
Now there is only one format

Waves Dilemma #2
RTAS - Native customers who will never own a HDX system will need to get AAX plug-ins so they are going to pissed off if Waves bumps the price up for AAX

Waves will have to have 3 prices one for Native One for TDM (to keep WUP TDM customers happy) and One for AAX

Result pissed off Native customers.

Waves have no choice ( to keep the piece ) but to keep Native/AAX prices the same - but they won't.

Bottom line IMO Avid going to proprietary plug-in for made was a huge mistake they should have used AU or VST.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 AM

Thanks for the info.

You'd think it would be in Waves' best interest to get on board, but who knows? I will say that my few contacts with their customer and/or technical support have been very good experiences.

GT
Finale 26.3.1
Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 AM

I believe Waves had to take existing code (Native) and then port it over to TDM. This was extra work, with a smaller market purchasing them compared to a native blend, hence a justification of the price for TDM plugs.

Now they are going to code for a new plug that will have an even bigger audience, Native and DSP users.

IMO they have no justification for increasing their prices for AAX. They will sell more AAX plug-ins than RTAS and TDM combined now.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Waves is hooped.
Waves Dilemma #1
They always charged a premium for TDM
TDM is history
Now there is only one format

Waves Dilemma #2
RTAS - Native customers who will never own a HDX system will need to get AAX plug-ins so they are going to pissed off if Waves bumps the price up for AAX

Waves will have to have 3 prices one for Native One for TDM (to keep WUP TDM customers happy) and One for AAX

Result pissed off Native customers.

Waves have no choice ( to keep the piece ) but to keep Native/AAX prices the same - but they won't.

Bottom line IMO Avid going to proprietary plug-in for made was a huge mistake they should have used AU or VST.
Plenty of Native Mercury users out there with WUP too.

My prediction. Since you will need to buy a HDX card to test the DSP versions of the AAX plugs Waves will attempt to continue the two tier pricing under the justification the AAX for HDX requires more resources to code. Whether they get the huge price premium will depend on how willing the HDX owners are to ante up for the DSP versions.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88