Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-22-2003, 01:33 PM

Default ai-3 still current?

I was looking at using the Alesis AI-3 to up my inputs on my Digi001 setup. One of the local retailers gave me a "Are they still making those?" and I noted that every place has them "back-ordered". Am I missing something? Am I about to buy the last AI-3 every made? Is there a newer piece of equipment I should be considering?

Thanks,
GL
Old 06-22-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: ai-3 still current?

gleiter...

I just went thru this myself...

I can't answer you for sure but here's what I know...

The original AI3 was 20 bit. The Alesis site now claims that the AI3 is 24 bit. My guess is that these newer units have just started shipping or the first run was under produced and the demand higher than expected resulting in a backorder.

The dealers I talked to all said they were expecting delivery in two weeks a week ago. I couldn't find anyone who had actually received a 24bit version though.

Still probably one of the most cost effective ways to add to the 001 albeit not the highest quality convertes... probably on par with 01 though. If you do find one in a store MAKE SURE IT'S THE 24 BIT VERSION.

STAudio makes a 24 bit unit that is cheaper. They have very limited distribution and support in the States so I am reluctantly waiting to see if the Alesis materializes.

FWIW, the 'B' company (don't want to say the word around [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) here claims to have a unit coming out in August which will be inexpensive as well ($250 US I think). Look at their site if you want details.

I'm hoping for an Alesis unit to appear at GC. I'm not ready to prepay for vaporware just yet.

Compare these links:

Alesis: AI-3 24 bit

Alesis: reference to 20 bit mention of older 20 bit models (also named AI3)

ST Audio: Adam 24

The 'Other' Brand: ADA8000
Old 06-22-2003, 04:52 PM

I've owned an AI-3 for about 3 years now & it's 24 bit. There was a notice in the box when I opened it, saying it was a new "improved" version. It's rather quirky. Won't work if it's below 60 degrees in the control room. Power & status lights are very dim. After it's been on for about 15 minutes the lights finally go to full bright and it appears to work fine.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:42 PM

roundo:

That's intersting... that they've been 24 bit for that long... I didn't know that...

The other quirky business... that's kinda scary. Wonder if the newer units are better?

They also have the Ai4... samples up to 96... but has AES inputs...

AI4

noticed the price was the same ($400)...
Old 06-22-2003, 06:36 PM

The AI-4 is a digital format converter (AES/EBU <-> ADAT optical), no analog section whatsoever.

The AI-3 has been 24-bit for years, I've bought them for several clients to use with Digi001's since about mid-2000. Don't let the price or brand name scare you, I would argue that they are marginally better than the a/d in the 001, but you don't really notice until you have a $1k preamp in front of it. It's a shame neither have word clock.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:00 AM

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I thought the the AI-3 was always 24bit. I think it was produced to improve ADATs input to 24bits..

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE