Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2023, 07:26 AM

Default Avid Control version mismatch

I think I know the answer already but will it ever be possible to use devices and Eucontrol of different versions? We all know what a nightmare it is when auto-update is on and Apple does not allow downgrading. I always keep auto-update off...

The other day I had a Dock iPad that lost connection. Thought I'd restart the app and got a surprise that auto-update was on. So it got the new 2023.6. Which made Eucontrol complain about the version mismatch... But I couldn't stop in the middle of a mix to update 3 more tablets and also shutdown PT and update Eucontrol. Especially with reports of instability with 2023.6. So I had to finish with no Dock.

Long story short, is this the only way forward? I blame Apple for the most part
Old 08-03-2023, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Avid Control version mismatch

After many many years on a Dcommand and recently updating to an S1/Dock setup, I've come to the conclusion that this is Eucon's biggest weakness - spanning up to 3 different operating systems that all have their own hardware/software quirks. Every system change potentially upsets this fragile balance. Super powerful and configurable but WAY too delicate for a commercial studio IMO. I can't wait to settle on a rock solid configuration and lock this system down for another decade like I did my old rig. It was virtually without a hiccup for 10 years.
Old 08-04-2023, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I think I know the answer already but will it ever be possible to use devices and Eucontrol of different versions? We all know what a nightmare it is when auto-update is on and Apple does not allow downgrading. I always keep auto-update off...

The other day I had a Dock iPad that lost connection. Thought I'd restart the app and got a surprise that auto-update was on. So it got the new 2023.6. Which made Eucontrol complain about the version mismatch... But I couldn't stop in the middle of a mix to update 3 more tablets and also shutdown PT and update Eucontrol. Especially with reports of instability with 2023.6. So I had to finish with no Dock.

Long story short, is this the only way forward? I blame Apple for the most part
Just put EC on a closed network segment (or VLAN) that doesn't have access to the internet.
How hard can it be to turn off auto-update for apps on 1-3 tablets?
We spend hours tweaking PT and EC prefs but here's no time to tick off auto-update?
Old 08-04-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Just put EC on a closed network segment (or VLAN) that doesn't have access to the internet.
How hard can it be to turn off auto-update for apps on 1-3 tablets?
We spend hours tweaking PT and EC prefs but here's no time to tick off auto-update?
I do when I'm in control of the systems. Wasn't my studio.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:55 AM
Avid

A couple of releases ago we did change it so it would allow one version back. It does throw a warning though, but is still operable (with possible bugs). Unfortunately, if we are to continue adding features there's nothing more we can do. This release we made major changes to the meters, added Markers that required App, EUCON and PT changes. The issue is really the App stores not allowing previous versions.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:11 PM

Thanks Eddie. Like said I blame Apple but I wasn't sure if there was any hope of a way around it. I've manually updated other apps that I then wanted to downgrade for various reasons. It's a very maddening policy.