Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-15-2002, 06:38 PM

Default HD vs Mix system with good clock & verters

Perhaps this has been asked already --- if so, sorry!

Has anyone had the chance to compare a new, 192HD based system to a Mix system running with a good third party clock and converters?
Old 05-15-2002, 07:08 PM

Default Re: HD vs Mix system with good clock & verters

Well, obviously, you won't have the higher sample rates, increased track count, and more DSP. You also won't have the possibility of live sample rate conversion. You won't have the improved mix bus, and you won't be able to take advantage of the coming 48 bit mix bus with the next release of PT, and any new plug-ins designed to exploit the new architecture. Also, you won't have the capability of locating your interface a long ways away from your computer. We also don't know if the older Mix hardware will be ported to OS X, and how long it will support new versions of PT.

Besides that, compared to anything else you can buy, the 192 is a lot more bang for the buck.

Lee Blaske
Old 05-15-2002, 10:01 PM

I've never did a direct comparison but before the studio where i freelance sold their mix + system....we had both, the Mix + and the HD2 working 15 hours a day on different projects for nearly 2 weeks before the Mix + got sold.
The systems were Mix + with Aardvark II as master clock and 2 x AD8000 and one 888/24...the HD2 system has 3 X 192 i/O. Personnally, i find both system sounding REALLY good...and for sound quality alone, i would not really care wich system i end up using, BUT aside from sound quality...the new HD offers so much more feature/power. It basically did not cost us anything to upgrade after we sold the Mix system, including the Apogee and Aadrvark. And now we have much more power, high sampling rate ( wich is important for us, as we do DVD authoring with Sonic Solutions ), double the track counts, almost 3 X the inputs/ouputs...
Personnally, the only reason that will keep me from upgrading is if my production uses a lot of plug-ins....but it's catching up very fast. Anyways, we're very please with the HD systems.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:44 PM

so PT would go to a 6.0 version at 48 bits? what about compatibility with previous versions and mix systems, plug-ins that have just been released that are not true deep 48 bit depth?? just the mix buss would be concerned? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 1,1 16GB RAM and Mac Pro 2,1 GB
Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 05-19-2002, 01:09 PM

We tested 192 I/O, 888/24, RME, Apogee side by side. Even at 48k, the 192 is the best sounding interface of the four. Take it to 96k, and it cleans house on every one else staying at 48k, not even close. Lots of opinions floating aroung, I wonder how many have actually compared side by side.....
Old 05-19-2002, 02:29 PM

I have just upgraded to HD with 192 and have kept my Apogee AD8000SE I also have a Cranesong HEDD. My conclusions having listened from many hours today

1) Hd 192 is the best DA, it is clearer and more sweet in the top end and a better bottom than the Apogee. This urprised me as the AD8000SE is a special and expensive unit.

2) Cranesong HEDD DA was the best. This is an awesome unit

James Cullen
Old 05-19-2002, 03:50 PM

Quote:
We tested 192 I/O, 888/24, RME, Apogee side by side. Even at 48k, the 192 is the best sounding interface of the four. Take it to 96k, and it cleans house on every one else staying at 48k, not even close. Lots of opinions floating aroung, I wonder how many have actually compared side by side.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have don side by side listenings very carful. I came to the same conclusions as you, 192 even at 44.1 kHz was superior to AD8000SE, to the 96 Interface and to the 888/24. (Only the Prism Dream ADA was superior to the 192, but hey, at 15'000 $ it better is ...) For what the 192 coast it gives an incredible quality, really a no brainer.

daniel
Old 05-19-2002, 05:50 PM

Hey - DrC:drive !

Thanks for the D/A info - good news I have a Cranesong Hedd unit (been a long time advocate here in fact) Most of my overdubs into PT Mix + go via mine.... But what about A/D ??? Who wins the shoot out there?

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 05-19-2002, 11:43 PM

Jules, sorry I made a typo here [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

The A/D of the HEDD was better than all others in my test

I have not tried the DA of the HEDD versus 192, but have felt in the past that the DA of the Apogee was better. I will try this test. Sorry for the confusion
Old 05-20-2002, 12:27 AM

in comparisons from friends of mine and from what I've heard.

1. the sonic difference between HD and mix plus running of apogee track 2 clock which is a little better than the ad8000 clock is subjective. They are too close to justify upgrading.

2. In comparison with HD to ad8000 clocked with the nanosync. most have prefered the apogee/nanosync combi to HD. I've also heard that the apogee Ad 16/DA 16 sound even better.

don't get me wrong, HD does sound good but you have to remember that you are comparing a brand new box to a 3-4 year old box. you have to aks yourself if that speaks well for digi's new HD 192 box or does that speak well for apogee's 3-4 year old ad8000

ej