Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-04-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Re: POW-r 3 Dithering

Hi Rich - I'm considering getting the L2 or L3. From your reply, I take it you are using L2 from the Audiosuite. Are you not better off adding the L2 on the master insert, and printing your mixes within the session?

Again, thanks. You've been very helpful.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Hi Rich - I'm considering getting the L2 or L3. From your reply, I take it you are using L2 from the Audiosuite. Are you not better off adding the L2 on the master insert, and printing your mixes within the session?

Again, thanks. You've been very helpful.
Hi Dean - No, not sure what I implied unintentionally, but I almost never use those as Audiosuite plugs unless I was doing a bunch of batch processing. Also, I would *never* insert an L2 or L3 on the master fader of a mix session - I view that kind of processing as strictly a delivery-chain-end process for delivery to media that are of lower dynamic range/bit depth/sample rate than the final mixes. Mixes are always printed and kept at the highest possible dynamic range/bit depth/SR, since one never knows what delivery medium they might end up on as a re-release years down the road. Also, it's frequently not clear who will be mastering a given project at the time of the mix, so I think it's better to leave those kind of options open.

I *do* frequently use the L2 (as I said, I'm not so crazy about the L3 right now) as an element in the mastering chain - sometimes last, and sometimes followed by a Pow-r plug (though I'm also becoming very fond of my TC System6000's MD4 package), but almost always as a TDM - not that there's anything wrong with the audiosuite version, it just doesn't fit my workflow.

Hope that's helpful,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-04-2005, 08:48 PM

Hi Rich - When your mixes are not sent to the mastering engineer, what do you use to convert to 16 bit from 24?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2005, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Hi Rich - When your mixes are not sent to the mastering engineer, what do you use to convert to 16 bit from 24?

Thanks
If I'm mastering, either an L2 with straight non-noise shaped TPDF, or Pow-r1/2/3 following the final limiter (either L2 or TC system 6000 MD4), depending on material, workflow, etc...

Best,
Rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6