Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-09-2021, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Folder Feature Requests

ANOTHER stupid thing:

So... at least in .11, in the MIDI Editor window, when you select a track that is inside a folder, the folder is automatically selected as well, so it's automation takes up space in the automatic editor in the lower subwindow.

You literally cannot unselect it and have the MIDI/Instrument track that you want open.

Anybody with .12 know if this has been fixed?
Old 01-27-2021, 03:44 AM

Just having to print some stems (I know, lucky me eh!) and finding myself frustrated at the behaviour of the "mute" button on routing folder groups yet again.The drum folder is muted : therefore the drums should all be muted. But no, there's the odd snare running through a reverb sneaking through etc.

SO, I ask this : is there anyone on here who thinks the way the mute works now - i.e.muting the return of the bus, but not the tracks themselves - is good? It's kind of logical, if you think of it as a glorified aux return, but should it just be a glorified bus return? Shouldn't the mute operate in a different way, i.e. muting tracks at source? How do other DAWS deal with this?

Sorry for rant, it just gets so tedious when you've got 344 well arranged tracks on a page and you find yourself scrabbling for the one track that's still open because the folder you've "muted" isn't actually muted. You know, because it's actually just a glorified aux return. Pmmmf.

I suppose what I'm arguing for is for the routing folder fader to have its own rule regarding the "mute", and not just slavishly follow the aux rules.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:04 AM

The muting behavior works correctly based on the type of folder track you’re working with. Basic track folders, when muted, will mute all members (tracks) of that folder. Just like you’d expect it to. Routing folders behave exactly like a Routing buss on a large format console. If you mute the buss, it only mutes that buss. Not the source tracks or sends of those source tracks. If you want reverb returns to be muted when muting the routing folder then those returns should be routed through that routing folder (Aux Track). This has always been the behavior of Aux Tracks. Alternately, you could setup VCA’s for your source tracks. Then if you want to mute the source tracks going through the routing folder, just mute the VCA.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
The muting behavior works correctly based on the type of folder track you’re working with. Basic track folders, when muted, will mute all members (tracks) of that folder. Just like you’d expect it to. Routing folders behave exactly like a Routing buss on a large format console. If you mute the buss, it only mutes that buss. Not the source tracks or sends of those source tracks. If you want reverb returns to be muted when muting the routing folder then those returns should be routed through that routing folder (Aux Track). This has always been the behavior of Aux Tracks. Alternately, you could setup VCA’s for your source tracks. Then if you want to mute the source tracks going through the routing folder, just mute the VCA.
Sigh. I thought I'd already made clear I knew that it's a routing buss and I know EXACTLY how routing busses behave. My point is: it's a folder track, so it shouldn't have to be the same. These things aren't not written in stone. It's not an immutable object, like God or the seven seas.

Okay, so if that's not going to fly, how about adding a fader to a basic folder? I don't want to clutter up my already busy session with extra VCAs when a basic folder just sits there with a blank panel where a fader should be, taking up real estate for a whole set of "nothings". It's like, our entire job consists of sorting out levels, so why not put one where there should be?
Old 01-27-2021, 08:50 AM

I don’t disagree that there could be a preference for mute behavior for routing folders. To turn muting folder members either on or off. However, this can get messy in the case where you have some members muted and some not.
Since Pro Tools was designed around console signal flow I think the way it works now makes sense.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Independent View of Folders in Mix and Edit Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
OUCH!
that's annoying, so in Mix you have either regular or narrow. Maybe add this so idea scale?

Wish we could have a mix of narrow and regular in the MIX window at least
'Narrow' : my favourite view.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Independent View of Folders in Mix and Edit Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejinbc View Post
LesB

"...when moving tracks."

Yes, when creating a folder selected tracks can be auto assigned, but moving existing tracks into a folder does not automatically set the routing. There should be an option key for this perhaps. How about ctrl drag and the track takes the folder as output path, ctrl+shift drag and the track takes the folder as output path, and then the folder uses the tracks's old output as the folders new output - or something like that.

E
Automatically setting the routing should be a no brainer. Why go back to do that when it could already be done?
Old 02-12-2021, 04:51 AM

As a side note, I don't like "overview" either. I don't like the way it's a foggy, hazy representation of tracks that that can't be grabbed or manipulated properly like you can with normal clips. You can't even select the overview and change all the colours of the clips within a closed folder, which you think would be pretty basic. Ych a fi.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:58 AM

It might just be me but I find "Show All Tracks" so confusing now. I open up a session I haven't looked at for a couple of months, and I want to see all the tracks. But you end having to do a little dance where you have to make sure all the folders are open AND then make sure there are no hidden tracks within that folder. Unless there's some way of doing all of this in one fell swoop? I haven't found it yet.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:51 PM

Didn't go through the whole thread, so I might be partly echoing other people's gripes here..

If I'm not mistaking, currently:
Folder tracks and their children are 'glued' together and need to be displayed consecutively.

Folders also require an additional mixer and edit window strip, which cannot be hidden independently of its children.

Neither of these requirements are helpful to me, certainly not if both are required and thus I haven't implemented folders into my template after waiting for them for a loooong time.

What I would like the functionality to be:
Simply a folder structure in the track list, without a mixer/edit strip REQUIRED for each folder.
If a strip IS required, then I need folders to be able to replace a sub channel and/or a VCA to me, which they currently can't. Or I need that folder strip to be able to be hidden, while (some of) its children are visible

You see:
My VCAs are bunched together in my template, away from the tracks, which is important for my workflow. If folders are to replace my VCAs, those folder strips need to be able to be in a different location in the mixer than their children.

My sub channels are also bunched together. If routing folders are to replace them, the folder strips should be able to spill to the left in stead of the right AND be able to be in a different location in the mixer than their children.

I doubt a lot of these things are feasible, so I guess what would make folders workable for me is if you could hide the mixer strip of the standard folders, while (some of) its children are visible.

If that's already possible, then ignore this post