Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2017, 09:37 PM

Default 5.1 speaker for sfx editing

I am planning to set up a small room for sfx edit/mixing mainly for flim and tv, while for film the room is used to sfx editing only. My budget for speakers is around US dollar 1500 for each speaker. Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G5308W using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 08:27 AM

Default 5.1 speaker for sfx editing

I'd suggest something analytical with no taste or coloring so 1500 each is minimum. You don't want to be surprised by all sorts of mistakes you'll suddenly hear when you take your stuff to the big screen stage. I am fairly happy with my swiss made psi audio 3x a21 in front. They translate more than enough to the stage. For Surround you could go cheaper whilst editing imho. Like neumann kh120. And first optimize room acoustics of course, unless you don't want your extra quality speaker advantage vanish into thin air..
Old 08-28-2017, 11:26 AM

Default Re: 5.1 speaker for sfx editing

1500 is not so much!

Yes, this or try to become a Genelec Speaker Setup or older like the Genelec 1029A

https://www.genelec.com/support-tech...studio-monitor

Here is a Subwoofer available!
Old 08-28-2017, 08:48 PM

I wish I had a $1500/speaker budget. I have two second-hand JBL LSR4300 series 7.1 setups and I absolutely love them! They translate very well to bigger stages if you treat and tune the room properly. One of my sets was purchased for about $1850 on CraigsList.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 08-29-2017, 02:06 AM

The JBL looks good too, but I'm carefully with DSP in Loudspeakers and like here with Room Mode Correction.

If you have sometimes a good budget and you have never listening to a coaxial loudspeaker, then try the fully analog ME-Geithain!

We use this loudspeaker since years, I think its reference and with the best over the world! :)

http://www.me-geithain.de/index.php/...ve-loudspeaker
Old 08-29-2017, 05:10 PM

I would definitely avoid Genelec/Dynaudio, you should check Unity Audio The Rock Mark II, working quite good here…
Old 09-12-2017, 12:46 PM

For an editing room you don't need anything too fancy; just enough to get an idea of how things are going to play out all the channels. The mixers are going to modify whatever the editor gives them anyway, and select what plays and what gets dropped. Many a major feature film has been edited in what amounts to little more than an office with a little soundproofing on the walls (if that!) I speak from experience here...

Now if you are going to make an editing suite that doubles as a small mix room, then things get a bit more critical and you should get a speaker setup that fits the room size and seating capacity. I second the statement that the room treatment will be just as important as speaker selection in getting an acceptable sound. Recommendations are useless without knowing room size and intended purpose.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:34 PM

I agree that for EDITING, you don't need to spend a fortune. I've worked on a ton of features and pilots and episodics where the effects were basically cut in a rented office space in some commercial building in Burbank or Studio City. You want a gunshot, and you want it coming out of THAT speaker. You want the car to pass from HERE to THERE. The mixers are going to make it sound right in the room. So long as your speakers don't make cats sound like dogs and gunshots sound like pom-poms, you're probably going to be alright.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
I agree that for EDITING, you don't need to spend a fortune. I've worked on a ton of features and pilots and episodics where the effects were basically cut in a rented office space in some commercial building in Burbank or Studio City. You want a gunshot, and you want it coming out of THAT speaker. You want the car to pass from HERE to THERE. The mixers are going to make it sound right in the room. So long as your speakers don't make cats sound like dogs and gunshots sound like pom-poms, you're probably going to be alright.

Well that might apply for most sound effects but things get way more critical when editing dialogue. You want to judge correctly for the right and wrong channels/takes. What seems to be matching fairly ok in a modest listening environment can literally fall apart on stage or better speaker systems. And thats not just theory. I've heard things dude!
Old 09-17-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
I wish I had a $1500/speaker budget. I have two second-hand JBL LSR4300 series 7.1 setups and I absolutely love them! They translate very well to bigger stages if you treat and tune the room properly. One of my sets was purchased for about $1850 on CraigsList.
+1

I just recently sold my JBL LSR4300 5.1 system. They are great speakers and translate well. It's a great used option. I just sold my whole system with sub, cables, and stands for $3k.

Alternatively, the new powered JBL 708p run $2k each and the smaller 5" are $1k each. But that is retail. Call you local dealer and they could probably get the 8" ones for closer to 1500. If you can squeeze it out of your budget, the 708's are a beautiful speaker.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment