Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 02-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Default break out playlists to create new tracks?

I tried to RTFM, but could find no reference to this.

Say you have a track with a bunch of playlists, and you want to break them out into new tracks. Is there a way to do it?

I know I can drag n drop the regions to a bunch of new tracks, but I want to retain the names--I have to comp a vocal with over 100 takes. (Yes, please kill me).
Old 02-12-2011, 07:27 PM

Default Re: break out playlists to create new tracks?

Track Compositing - Reference Guide page #618.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:50 PM

COming in late to this question but did you ever get an answer? Composting is not what you (or I ) am looking to do.

Any other suggestions or know hows to take a playlist "as it is" and auto create into new tracks, like "select/split notes in the events".
Old 10-16-2011, 09:47 AM

Don't think auto-create can be done, but, IIRC, you can assign a playlist to any other track as long as the track you want to open a playist on is the same kind as the playlist - mono or stereo - and that playlist is not in use on another track.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvintage View Post
COming in late to this question but did you ever get an answer? Composting is not what you (or I ) am looking to do.

Any other suggestions or know hows to take a playlist "as it is" and auto create into new tracks, like "select/split notes in the events".
Just curious, why do you want to do this? The Playlists were created to avoid the scenario that you want to reproduce. A bunch of tracks wasting voices (the OP scenario) and more difficult to edti.
If the OP wants to Comp 100 vocal tracks, how does breaking them out to individual tracks help? If the goal is to just keep the playlist naming, I think I can see it. Otherwise, create the appropriate number of tracks, and option-cntrl drag the regions there... ???
If your on to something new, I wanna know about it. ff
Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 PM

Sounds like you need to use the Expand Alternates to New Tracks command. Here's what it say's in the PT9 Reference Guide - Page 632:

To expand alternate takes to new tracks:

1 Identify the region on the main playlist with matching alternate regions (takes).

2 Do one of the following:
• Right-click the region and choose Matches > Expand Alternates To New Tracks.
• If the region is selected, with the Selector tool, Control-click (Windows) or Command-click (Mac) anywhere on the selected region and choose Matches > Expand Alternates To New Tracks.
• If the region is not selected, with the Selector tool, Control-click (Windows) or Command-click (Mac) at the precise beginning of the loop or punch range and choose Matches > Expand Alternates To New Tracks.

3 Then choose one of the following from the Expand Alternates To New Tracks sub-menu:

By Track Name Names all new tracks after the source track name.

By Region Name Names each new tracks after the corresponding original region names that you see in the Matches list.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 PM

is this a trick question?
If you're just comping a vocal track why not just use the playlist to track view function?
FWIW PT is only going to play 96 tracks anyway ( unless you have HD or CPTK)