Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 05:31 PM

Default D-Command

I know on the 18th there will more info.

Any idea of price point or expandability?
Anyone care to spill the beans?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: D-Command

Quote:
I know on the 18th there will more info.

Any idea of price point or expandability?
Some specific Gearslutz speculation....

Here's the whole thread...
Washington, DC 20036
Old 04-04-2005, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I bet the only people with the beans are Digidesign. Going to NAB? I am!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:31 PM

Quote:

I bet the only people with the beans are Digidesign.
how true

Quote:
Going to NAB? I am!
I wish I was going. The production co I do a lot of work for is going, maybe they will bring me back a show special D-Command! If you see Jeff and Dennis say hi for me.

Hey 1150Post I actually quoted that on another thread.
If D-Command is 30k for 24 faders then that would put the base unit somewhere around 15k.
So no keyboard, track ball, or edit pack options??
Old 04-04-2005, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Digidesign QWERTY keyboard - $235
Kensington TurboMouse - $91
D-Command - Priceless?
Old 04-05-2005, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Hey 1150Post I actually quoted that on another thread.
If D-Command is 30k for 24 faders then that would put the base unit somewhere around 15k.
Maybe it's all built in? I actually have a good bit of confidence in the thought behind this new product, so I'd be surprised to see it be a mess!

I bet that this controller is also considered an Icon, or part of the Icon family. Last year it was the D-Control, the flagship of the Icon line of products. This year it is the D-Command. And since it is part of the Icon family, I imagine it will integrate with Icon family member accessories, like X-Mon and the Surround panner option.

As I think about it, Digi has gone a long time with no viable surround panner option. To put so much thought and work behind a panner option that would only fit into the D-Control would be curious. Just a while back, sales of D-Control passed 150 total, which means at that point Digi had the potential to sell 150 surround panner units? Nah, Digi wants to sell more of these new panners to get their margins up higher, so I bet the same unit will fit into the new D-Command. Then they will be able to sell thousands of them....

I just hope that the jog wheel is to the right of the keyboard! hehe. Too many years on an AMS/Neve Audiofile. See, beggars CAN be choosers!

Brad McIlvaine
Sr. Mixer/Designer
Henninger Media Services
Washington, DC 20036.
Washington, DC 20036
Old 04-05-2005, 08:16 AM

Quote:

I bet that this controller is also considered an Icon, or part of the Icon family. Last year it was the D-Control, the flagship of the Icon line of products. This year it is the D-Command. And since it is part of the Icon family, I imagine it will integrate with Icon family member accessories, like X-Mon and the Surround panner option.

Check it out again. "ICON" is the first copy you see on the teaser. It will also be interesting if it is ICON product line for dealers too. I would imagine X-Mon would be an option. Is X-Mon a required part of ICON?

It's going to be interesting to see what is cut to make the smaller footprint.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Check it out again. "ICON" is the first copy you see on the teaser. It will also be interesting if it is ICON product line for dealers too. I would imagine X-Mon would be an option. Is X-Mon a required part of ICON?

It's going to be interesting to see what is cut to make the smaller footprint.
Yeah, that's what went "bing" in my brain. The Icon thing...

Looking at the D-Control, I see a LOT of unused real estate in the master section. If you bunched up the controllers in the master section... Maybe lose the master fader strip thingy, since this is designed to be an 8 fader stand alone, no need for the master fader because everything is already there in front of you... Lose the monitor tray... lose the keyboard and track ball (keep the jog wheel)... Voila! A "slightly larger than a ProControl" controller can be had. I'm betting it does not have a custom stand, so hopefully Argosy will be building a custom enclosure...

As for the fader strips, I can see 8 faders, and maybe one encoder selectable between panner/aux/assigns ala C24... or mapping plugs across all 8 with pages, similar to ProControl but using some of the cooler aspects of custom faders? And I truly hope the surround option can map into this, though it would seem to tie up a pretty big chunk of real estate on the controller surface.

Or if we are sticking with the Venue size idea, 2 knobs.

Brad McIlvaine
Washington, DC 20036
Old 04-05-2005, 06:10 PM

it better have dedicated eq and comp controls (looks like it does, it's got a LPF knob in the teaser) or else they have no chance of getting my money.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:22 PM

I've read through the posts, so what teaser are you guys talking about? All they have on Digi's homepage is a elusive picture of the mushroom tip knobs thingymabobs on a typical silver background. Take care.