Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 10-26-2022, 05:37 AM

Default How to open a Protools 8 session in 2022!

Hi,

I have done previously done a lot of work on M-Powered Protools 8 with the M-Audio fast track ultra.

I no longer have that interface and am using the latest version of Protools.

I can open my old projects in the current version of Protools, but because of the amount Plugin's (AIR distortion for example, reverbs too) which has been discontinued they don't sound the same at all.

It there anyway I can open a Protools 8 project using the set up I had previously to access these mixes today?

I'm thinking, is there a way to get these discontinued plugins, or possibly on a separate old mac, which I have, try and get an old version of M-Audio interface and Protools 8. This will be tricky, as I think I'll need to try and back date the Mac's OS!

There must be someway to open old projects still. I was hoping there would be a lot of info online but found little. Sorry if this question has already been asked somewhere else.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
David
Old 10-26-2022, 09:31 AM

Default Re: How to open a Protools 8 session in 2022!

As you’ve discovered, you can open your session and it will convert it to a .ptx. While opening the session, you should be presented with a dialog that says there are plugins not found in your plugins folder. Use the save as list function and then post the list here so we can see what plugins you are referring to. AIR plugins should still open in the new session unless you don’t have them installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-26-2022, 11:17 AM

And since as a new DUC user the anti-spam filter will make it hard for you to reply for a day or so...

As James says there are multiple Air plugins including Air Distortion included with your Pro Tools studio subscription (or perpetual license support/update plan) these are a part of the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle (https://cn.avid.com/plugins/avid-complete-plugin-bundle) included with these plans, and are a separate software install or many separate installers.

Look in your Avid.com account under "My Products" and then under the Pro Tools Studio product for these downloads... expand that/scroll well down to see them (I recommend doing all installs manually not relying on Avid Link... stop that running or even better uninstall it).
Old 11-01-2022, 05:23 PM

Thanks so much. I just downloaded the plugin's from the Studio section of My Products which has all the pluggins I needed.

God bless