Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 06-06-2022, 08:03 AM

Default Pro Tools 5 some audio tracks not playing

I have some old sessions that were created on PT 3.4, the free version. I can open the old sessions on Pro Tools 5, but some tracks are not playing at all.

It's all very weird. The audio file is there, volume shows 00, and when I scrub the track, I can hear the audio, but when I try to play it, nothing. I have checked everything, solo and mute are off, output is 1/2, playback engine is Audiomedia III and there're no plugins.The strange thing is it only happens with a few tracks, the other tracks play fine.

I was wondering if anyone remembers this problem and if there's any fix. Is this a problem with the sessions being created on an earlier version?

Last edited by phill168; 06-06-2022 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 5 some audio tracks not playing

I can't speak on this old a setup, but as a troubleshooting step, do a Save Session Copy(include audio files and enforce Mac/PC compatibility if its an option) and then try opening this copy.

Still no luck? Are the regions muted(grey'd out)?

Still no luck? Consolidate and export all the audio files and import to a new blank session.

One more option; If the audio is in SD II file format, export the audio as wave and import into a modern DAW(unless you have a reason that it needs to stay in PT5)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 06-09-2022 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I can't speak on this old, but as a troubleshooting step, do a Save Session Copy(include audio files and enforce Mac/PC compatibility if its an option) and then try opening this copy.

Still no luck? Are the regions muted(grey'd out)?

Still no luck? Consolidate and export all the audio files and import to a new blank session.

One more option; If the audio is in SD II file format, export the audio as wave and import into a modern DAW(unless you have a reason that it needs to stay in PT5)
Thanks for all the suggestions! I tried re saving the session but no luck. The tracks were still not playing. I think consolidating the files and importing them into a new session will work. But I'll probably do that as a last resort.

The problem only exists in old sessions done on PT3.4. I have a bunch of sessions that were done on PT5 and they all play ok. Will keep on trouble shooting.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by phill168; 06-07-2022 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:06 AM

Default Pro Tools 5 some audio tracks not playing

Are the track voices all assigned properly? If two tracks share the same voice and they both have regions in them at the same place in time, then you’ll only hear the higher track.

As I recall, PT Free only allowed 8 voices so that’s why I would suspect this.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-07-2022, 05:26 PM

It's definitely a problem with the voice assignments. I just checked the manual for PT 5.0.1 and on page 55, it shows an audio track voice selector in the i/o view next to the rec button, but there's no voice selector on my current PT 5 install. I'll try to find an update. Maybe it's a bug with 5.0.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 06-08-2022, 01:43 PM

On 5.* I sometimes had what may be a similar issue. What always worked was creating a new audio track and dragging the audio to the new track and deleting the old channel. Copying didn't seem to work. Worth a shot anyway