Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 09-28-2009, 08:54 PM

Default Pro Tools and M Audio is completely failing me...severe help needed

Every time I turn on my M-audio Fast Track Pro, it buzzes uncontrollably and I'm forced to turn it off. All the lights light up and it pops and cracks extremely loud. Im working with pt8 with the new snow leopard prerelease, but this happened when i was using pro tools 7.4 on osx 10.5.x I have the latest drivers for it but its getting out of hand. I sometimes have to turn off and on my interface 10 times or more before I can get it to stabilize....and sometimes it will fail and start making all kinds of noises in during the session. Like I said, it did this when I first bought it. Secondly, I don't think its reading the files correctly. I recently opened an older session, and 1/2 the vocal tracks are buzzing and fuzzy (extremely). One set of tracks is perfectly fine, but the others are distorted as hell. I went into the "audio files" folder and found the files and they were perfect when they weren't played through pro tools or the m audio. I also took off all the plugins in the session on those tracks and they were still fuzzy. I reimported the regions, still fuzzy and distorted. I even busted out the old copies of the sessions I had saved on another drive to make sure the files weren't corrupted (which doesn't make sense cause the files play fine in the audio files folder) but this did nothing. I have no idea whats going on because they were never like this. I recently attempted mastering this exact song and I listened to the bounced copy and its fine...so w/e it is happened recently.

Is this the cause of not having updates for snow leopard on the fast track pro? Or is my fast track pro a goner...Like I said, only half the vocal tracks are messed up...
Old 09-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Avid

Default Re: Pro Tools and M Audio is completely failing me...severe help needed

I would strongly recommend contacting M-Audio tech support for diagnosis - it sounds like you may have a defective unit.

Contact info for M-Audio:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=company.contact#US
Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Well, It doesn't seem like the people up at M-Audio care about their customers at all. I absolutely could not get into the tech support email thing, so I sent the webmaster a message about forwarding the message about 3 days ago and still no reply....what great gents..
Old 10-05-2009, 07:11 PM

For an issue like this, I would try calling them so that if you do need a repair, they can set it up right away.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 AM

agreed.

M-Audio support is actually amazing... just saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
For an issue like this, I would try calling them so that if you do need a repair, they can set it up right away.

I produce things @ www.krazypopstudio.com

Endorsements and affiliations: MikTek Microphones, AVID, Klotz Cables, CAD Headphones, ToonTrack, Parker Guitars, Taylor Guitars, Steven Slate, Seymour Duncan Pickups, D'Addario, Bugera; Dangerous Music, Digidesign, Focusrite, IK Multimedia, Altiverb, Focal Monitors, and SurgeX.

Pro Tools 12.4 HD, MBP Quad-core 2.5Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, UAD-2.
Interfaces: UA Apollo 8
Old 10-11-2009, 03:31 AM

well, the whole thing about the m audio player crackling and buzzing bothers me, but if I have to buy a new one, or repair this one, I guess that's not so bad, but what really upsets me is that it sounds like some audio files are corrupt when they are not. Even though my m audio interface cracks and buzzes, I can get it to stop...and when it does, ever single song plays perfectly, except the 2 or 3 audio files in this one song. It makes absolutely no sense because I can listen to them in the audio files folder through my laptop speakers (and not through pt or interface) and they sound just fine...I wish someone else had this problem and had some kind of idea what happened...I researched this for a great while and no results pertaining to that exact problem...
Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 PM

So I'm getting pretty desperate at this moment. Like I said earlier, Im willing to buy a new interface, but I would like to see if this problem occurs on someone else's system. I'm not talking about my interface popping and going nuts in general, just its ability to read certain files. My interface has never misread any audio files on any session and all of the sudden, it has trouble reading a certain section of vocals on ONE of my older sessions...it makes no sense. It sounds like files are corrupted, but i can play them from the audio files folder just fine. Its like the corruption is written in the waveform that pro tools is reading or something. Is there a place that I can upload my session so others can download it and listen and try to figure out? I know it can't strictly be my interface because once i get it working, it plays every session perfectly, except this one.

When I first created this session, months ago, there was never a problem with this corrupted audio file thing. It went into my time machine when it was clean. Today, I went into my time machine and copied the earliest session i could find back onto my computer and it still has that corrupted sound. I also found that if i reimport my audio files, they play fine, but this wont work as a solution because I can't line the audio back up with the song and there have been hundreds of edits to each region that I can't possibly each one. Also, I have found that some of my eq plugins from one track were copied over the eq of another track. Its like everything got totally messed up in this session and only this session. Even in my time machine, all the copies are messed up, even though they were backed up when this session played completely fine. This is so crazy...
Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Avid

Where in the email support process did you get hung up, exactly?

Is there a reason you don't want to call for support?

If you want to continue support here, we're going to need a lot more info - please see the Help Us Help You thread for details about what we need to know to assist you further.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:55 PM

You said it yourself, if you can play the tracks from the audio folder and they sound alright, then they're not corrupted.

If when it's working it doesn't play those tracks correctly, it's still in the unit, the way it's receiving its data stream and converting them .

You could start a new session, then import those tracks - and don't add any plug ins to see. But you really need to contact M Audio as stated. They also have a decent forum over there you can get help.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:47 AM

Hi!

Just an idea: do you have Snow Leopard and the pre-release of PT on your machine? And if yes, do you have Elastic Audio enabled? If yes, disable EA on your tracks and try again...
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block