Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2020, 06:44 PM
Producer112 Producer112 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Nashville, Tn.
Posts: 11
Default HDX Card not Showing Up in Core Audio or Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12

Hey guys!

This is a last call for help to make sure I haven't missed anything as I'm pretty frustrated to say the least.

Scenario goes:
Newly Purchased HDX Card, Avid Branded Thunderbolt 3 Chassis, Already had The Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 Software/HD Driver installed and I do have the Digilink I/o asset in my Ilok account.

My main computer is 2018 i9 32mb Ram MacBook Pro. I have used this system for the past year and half (Coming from the Mac Pro Trash Can since 2013)
and have been using it natively with an Apogee Symphony Mkii.
This has been the most rock solid version of Pro Tools/Computer I've been on probably since Version 10. It's really been great. I also use Logic Pro and can switch back and forth with zero issues.

I have always had "Pro Tools HD systems" since Mix Plus, but went native back when I needed to make the move from TDM Accel (3 card setup) to HDX. The main reason I went native at the time was voice count. It simply was much easier natively to accommodate large sessions. So I've been a long time Pro Tools HD user and understand the card system.

My need for the card was Hardware Inserts. I'm mixing more and more of my records, and incorporating outboard (Although the symphony is pretty much an avid i/o) in Parallel is not possible. I usually print things and line them up, but there are some things that I'd love to have the extra delay compensation for as well (another issue, when working natively).

So I did the research, and was happy to get the Avid Chassis because from past experience their sh(*t works.

Fast forward- after a lost day of trying to hook this up, I'm pretty mad/frustrated. IT shouldn't be THIS hard.
So I'm aware of the HD Driver not being recognized by core audio. I followed the instructions...typed the code to Force Launch the HD Driver via the terminal, but to no avail the HD driver will no launch.
I've deleted the driver numerous times, restarted, re-installed etc. Still the HDX is not recognized by core audio.
When I launch Pro Tools..It says "it can't find Pro Tools Hardware, please connect it".
Also- The Digitest just failed when I launch it with an error code -1173.

I've looked up everything I could, and apart from having the Digi i/o asset in my Ilok I'm at a loss.

If I've missed something, please let me know. I'm not going to go to the next version of Pro Tools right now because I don't need folder tracks, and I'm STABLE. So I'll most likely return the system and just continue on as I've been working.

I just really find it frustrating that to get the extra delay compensation and hardware insert solution you need to use the HD Driver. From the research I've done it seems like it's still problematic as it was in the past (if you're not on the right equation of system/setup).

I get it though I've been a pro tools user long enough, but after being willing to spend the money I find it hard to believe that it's not plug and play especially with their hardware.

I didn't even get far enough to test drive the system.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

D
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2020, 06:54 PM
LukeHoward LukeHoward is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,133
Default Re: HDX Card not Showing Up in Core Audio or Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12

You might need to start Pro Tools once before running DigiTest to avoid the -1173 error (yes, contrary to what DigiTest says).

I would start with: Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> System Report. Do you see the HDX interface under PCI? It will be reported as "Other Multimedia" with an ID of pci11af,ef70 (or similar).

If not, check the card is installed in the chassis correctly, its power connector is connected, you are using a Thunderbolt 3 cable (not USB 3.1), etc.

If so, then I would run DigiTest without any interfaces connected (you may get some loopback errors, ignore them) and see if that passes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2020, 06:55 PM
LukeHoward LukeHoward is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,133
Default Re: HDX Card not Showing Up in Core Audio or Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12

Also, perhaps reinstall the HD driver. If you open Utilities/Terminal.app and type

Code:
$ kextstat|grep Digi
  137    0 0xffffff7f840c3000 0x8c000    0x8c000    com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal (20.3.0f4) 6BA77AD7-699C-320C-BD49-96531A6A627C <13 6 5 3 1>
what do you see?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2020, 06:59 PM
Producer112 Producer112 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Nashville, Tn.
Posts: 11
Default Re: HDX Card not Showing Up in Core Audio or Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12

Got it.

To answer your question:
Yes the Avid HDX expansion shows up as connected in the system profiler.
I am using the thunderbolt 3 cable that came with the chassis.

I will try running the digitest with nothing connected and report back. Might be about 30 minutes!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-2020, 07:40 PM
Producer112 Producer112 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Nashville, Tn.
Posts: 11
Default Re: HDX Card not Showing Up in Core Audio or Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
You might need to start Pro Tools once before running DigiTest to avoid the -1173 error (yes, contrary to what DigiTest says).

I would start with: Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> System Report. Do you see the HDX interface under PCI? It will be reported as "Other Multimedia" with an ID of pci11af,ef70 (or similar).

If not, check the card is installed in the chassis correctly, its power connector is connected, you are using a Thunderbolt 3 cable (not USB 3.1), etc.

If so, then I would run DigiTest without any interfaces connected (you may get some loopback errors, ignore them) and see if that passes.
Hey Luke-
So It does show up under PCI-
The id is: "pci11af,ef70"

So I did launch Digi Test without the HDX Chassis connected, and it did launch, but when I went to "run" the test it wouldn't do a test. Even with no Interface connected to the chassis, I'm getting an -1175 error (I misspoke on the -1173) so it won't actually even load DigiTest.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-09-2020, 07:44 PM
Producer112 Producer112 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Nashville, Tn.
Posts: 11
Default Re: HDX Card not Showing Up in Core Audio or Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Also, perhaps reinstall the HD driver. If you open Utilities/Terminal.app and type

Code:
$ kextstat|grep Digi
  137    0 0xffffff7f840c3000 0x8c000    0x8c000    com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal (20.3.0f4) 6BA77AD7-699C-320C-BD49-96531A6A627C <13 6 5 3 1>
what do you see?
I have tried re-installing the Driver several times.

I copy and pasted the code above In the terminal and this is what I got back:

-bash: $: command not found
Davids-MacBook-Pro:~ davidgarcia$ 137 0 0xffffff7f840c3000 0x8c000 0x8c000 com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal (20.3.0f4) 6BA77AD7-699C-320C-BD49-96531A6A627C <13 6 5 3 1>
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Hopefully I Did it right.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-2020, 09:02 PM
LukeHoward LukeHoward is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,133
Default Re: HDX Card not Showing Up in Core Audio or Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Producer112 View Post
I have tried re-installing the Driver several times.

I copy and pasted the code above In the terminal and this is what I got back:

-bash: $: command not found
Davids-MacBook-Pro:~ davidgarcia$ 137 0 0xffffff7f840c3000 0x8c000 0x8c000 com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal (20.3.0f4) 6BA77AD7-699C-320C-BD49-96531A6A627C <13 6 5 3 1>
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Hopefully I Did it right.
Ah sorry, you didn't need to type the "$" – that was supposed to represent the prompt. Just type "kextstat|grep DigiDal".
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2020, 09:03 PM
LukeHoward LukeHoward is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,133
Default Re: HDX Card not Showing Up in Core Audio or Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Producer112 View Post
Hey Luke-
So It does show up under PCI-
The id is: "pci11af,ef70"

So I did launch Digi Test without the HDX Chassis connected, and it did launch, but when I went to "run" the test it wouldn't do a test. Even with no Interface connected to the chassis, I'm getting an -1175 error (I misspoke on the -1173) so it won't actually even load DigiTest.
Launch it with the chassis connected, but not the interface. See if that works first.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-10-2020, 05:44 AM
Producer112 Producer112 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Nashville, Tn.
Posts: 11
Default Re: HDX Card not Showing Up in Core Audio or Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Launch it with the chassis connected, but not the interface. See if that works first.
When done with just chassis and no interface I get the same -1175 error upon launch and it quits.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-10-2020, 06:26 AM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 13,658
Default Re: HDX Card not Showing Up in Core Audio or Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12

Make sure the digilink is On the ilok key and also do a PRAM and restart the Mac.

We had a similar issue a few years ago on our HDX2 and after uninstalling the HD driver, not just run the installer over the old HD driver and doing a PRAM we got it up and running. Double check your digilink is on the ilok key not just on the ilok account. Sorry if thats obvious but one post you said it is on your ilok account easily missed and we need to try everything.
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro Tools 2019.12 Ultimate Crashes 2019 Mac Pro rmccam Pro Tools 2019 11 02-28-2020 03:59 AM
FS: Pro Tools | Ultimate 2019.6 Juljan Buy & Sell 0 02-23-2020 09:51 AM
FS : Avid HD Native PCIE card with Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6 Perpetual License Marc Hudson Buy & Sell 0 10-28-2019 06:33 AM
Pro Tools 2019 Ultimate - Sonnet X-IIIR - HDX Card Freezing priceless530 Pro Tools 2019 3 10-23-2019 05:43 PM
Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.5 and HDX Avid Technical Alerts 0 05-09-2019 01:55 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com