Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-02-2022, 05:55 PM

Default Annoying sideways blue error in timeline after switching to new computer

Hello Everybody,

While this may be my first time posting to this forum, I have found the answers to many questions by viewing (as a guest) other threads. However, this time I can not seem to find what I am looking for and have finally created an account so that I can post a new thread. Attached is an image of my problem for those of you who need to see it to help me out, but nonetheless I will describe what's going on. I got a new computer for christmas and, after setting up pro tools on it (I've had PT for a little over a year- so I am still new to this game, please bear with me!), I came across this little blue arrow. After doing some research (on this forum and elsewhere), I decided that it was due to my dynamic transport, but then I realized that it was off. Seeing as I've never encountered this arrow before- and I was in the midst of setting up my new template- I didn't want to set myself up for problematic sessions later on. Thanks for the help, you guys are awesome!

file:///media/fuse/drivefs-79304245a6a3b5f02b2cdcbeec35aa59/root/Screen%20Shot%202022-01-02%20at%207.30.59%20PM%20(1).jpg
Old 01-02-2022, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Annoying sideways blue error in timeline after switching to new computer

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 7.30.59 PM (1).jpg
Old 01-02-2022, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Annoying sideways blue error in timeline after switching to new computer

Welcome to DUC as a poster

The arrow is pointing to a selection that you have off screen. Scroll the timeline in the direction of the arrow to find your selection.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:28 PM

Currently the arrow is at bar:beat 1:1, what does that mean?
Old 01-02-2022, 06:37 PM

Nah you only get to ask one question

Your song starts at 1|1|0? Make sure nobody has changed the start.

It might just be Pro Tools is confused. I've never noticed it do this before... but who knows. Try making a selection on the current screen and then scrolling horizontally and seeing if the arrow appears pointing left and right.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It might just be Pro Tools is confused.
Thanks, I think you might be right, when I did a scrolling selection it adjusted to appear on the top left of the timeline at a different point. I guess it was just trying to indicate that my selection started before my edit window did. Sorry to bother you! -But thanks for responding and helping a noob out!
Old 01-02-2022, 06:53 PM

No problem.

BTW I often thought it would be neat for Pro Tools to have an "explain mode" where it went into aggressive tool rollovers that would let you roll a mouse over things like this arrow in the UI and say what it is... like it does for active buttons and then take you to the section in the reference guide.

And if you don't already have that reference guide PDF handy on your computer... it's one of the better written manuals for complex software and worth reading sections as you use related areas of the software. Or searching the PDF... problem is knowing what something is named to search for it.