Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 PM

Default ..another basic midi Question

Hi again..

When Im using the midi editor for writing a drum groove..

I'm using Boom (digi drum plug in)

Is it possible to adjust midi automation for each part (bass drum, hats, snare) separately?

For example, when I go to adjust velocity Im able to individually change the velocity for each note.

However, if I want to adjust the pan for each note, I'm given 1 option for panning and it seems to act globally across the entire part.

Lets say I want to adjust panning just for the high hat part..
Am I able to automate that in midi ? OR, do I have to automate it separately in Boom?

It would be great to do it in midi.. that way my automation follows the midi part.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Adam
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 PM

Default Re: ..another basic midi Question

I don't use Boom, but you could probably set up separate MIDI/Instrument tracks for each drum part and have individual control that way. I used to do MIDI drums that way and it worked fine.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-28-2012, 10:55 PM

The simple answer is yes you can but I think you are confusing two different sets of parameters....

As I said in my last post... More information is needed to really help you... How are you setting this all up?? So Ill explain what I need to know...

a) Are you using Boom on a VI track and have MIDI data in the VI track?
b)or are you using a MIDI track to write your drum data in and sending it to the Instrument track that Boom is on?

Also, as far as automating the pan separately for each sample in BOOM... You have to arm BOOM for automation and playback your track and either write the pan by mouse clicking it and turning the knob or assigning it to a midi keyboard knob and writing the pan information (If you have a midi controller or keyboard)(or the old tedious way of viewing the Instrument tracks automation and using a mouse to insert points)... This is separate from the Instrument tracks pan.... so to do the individual instruments you have to do that within BOOM.

Velocity you can change on the track (I dont know what kind of track thats on in your case... but you can select to view velocity in the MIDI editor window and then adjust for each note...

There are tutorials online at youtube for these kinds of things too... just FYI
Old 12-28-2012, 11:26 PM

thanks for the prompt replies..

Yes, I'm using Boom on an Instrument track.
I'm no expert on midi as you can see.

I guess my aim is to automate as much midi data for each part of the drum beat ie- bass drum, hats, snare, etc..

Reason being... If I can use midi automation on each part for pan, volume, etc.. the automation will follow the midi, thus allowing me to replace sounds later if I want to.

Not sure exactly how I'd go about replacing sounds exactly though.

Maybe writing each part to a separate midi track is the way to go..?

Let's say I've written the midi drum part that I'm happy with it.
It'd be great to try triggering other sounds (from outside boom) to try out some different sounds using the pre-written midi data.

If I've used just one track for all the midi in the drum track, I'm assuming it's difficult to take just the high hat part (for example) and send it to something like Battery to trigger a different sound.

If I want to give myself as much flexibilty with the midi I've written, am I best off using seperate midi tracks for each drum part?

Hope this all makes sense.

Cheers
Adam
Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 AM

What you can do:

Edit/record your drum track with all midi note pitches (different drum sounds) in the same track, like you are currently doing. Working like this will probably be simpler to start with.

Then, once you are happy with timing, velocity, etc, you can:

Select all the midi notes you wish to manipulate

Right-click > Event Operations > Select/Split Notes

Pitch Criteria > All Notes

Action > Split Notes > Cut or Copy >to> a new track per pitch

Check "Include all continuous MIDI data"

Apply

Bam… you have a single midi track per drum part that you can then send to any midi drum tool you have in your system.

Or if you only want specific parts split out, then use the Pitch Criteria to narrow down your selection.

Or make your selection with the selection tool to only the parts you wish to separate.

You can't get much more flexibility than that.

Explore the other things you can do with Event Operations too...
Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
What you can do:

Edit/record your drum track with all midi note pitches (different drum sounds) in the same track, like you are currently doing. Working like this will probably be simpler to start with.

Then, once you are happy with timing, velocity, etc, you can:

Select all the midi notes you wish to manipulate

Right-click > Event Operations > Select/Split Notes

Pitch Criteria > All Notes

Action > Split Notes > Cut or Copy >to> a new track per pitch

Check "Include all continuous MIDI data"

Apply

Bam… you have a single midi track per drum part that you can then send to any midi drum tool you have in your system.

Or if you only want specific parts split out, then use the Pitch Criteria to narrow down your selection.

Or make your selection with the selection tool to only the parts you wish to separate.

You can't get much more flexibility than that.

Explore the other things you can do with Event Operations too...
Now THAT's someone that knows midi^^^ Very nice. If BOOM gives you the sounds you want, then flommer has it down. I prefer drums that sound more like a real drum set(I do use BOOM for some loop textures and accents). The more "traditional" drum VI plugins(like Addictive Drums, ezdrummer, SD2, BFD, etc) all allow you to split out the drums to their own tracks from within the plugin(you can spread them out to AUX tracks, or AUDIO tracks if you want to record the audio). Anyway, once they are assigned, you are free to pan and process each drum, just as you would with a standard kit, recorded with mics

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave