Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-27-2021, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Audio delay with interface

I`ve been having the same problem for a year now...the reason I didn`t bother to try and fix it is that ,when this latency issue occours ,with the project open , I reload the audio engine and viola the latency issue is gone.

It has to do something with the OS and Pro tools trying to take control of the sound card.

On another Windows system that I work on, I never had any problems.

Peace

https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat

MacBook Pro Late 2016
Intel I7 Quod Core 2.8 GHZ
16 GB Ram . 256 GB SSD
Catalina 10.15.2

Acer Nitro
Intel I7-6700-HQ
8 GB Ram 256 GB SSD x 2
Win 10 Home 64 bit
Motu 624 AVB , Komplete Audio 6
Pro Tools Native 2020.5 , Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Old 05-27-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
Did you sort out your problem in the end?
I have been having the same issue since upgrading to PT2020 on an older Mac Pro 5.1.
I kind of did. From all the suggestions I would record things with no plug-ins assigned, unless it was like a guitar amp model. But I would still have problems where the audio engine would freeze a lot. I think the problem is just the older 5.1's like yours and the 3.1 like mine just can't handle the processing power. If you have a 5.1 do you have the fastest processor you can in it and the most memory? I've switched over to a 2017 Macbook that was my wifes and I haven't had any problems.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawders View Post
I think the problem is just the older 5.1's like yours and the 3.1 like mine just can't handle the processing power. If you have a 5.1 do you have the fastest processor you can in it and the most memory?
I still have my old 3.1 four-core 2.8gHz, and it still runs. It's still capable of running/recording quite a number of tracks but struggles when I get under 128-256 samples HW buffer. The best thing that I did for it stability-wise is to set the processor to use 3 of the 4 cores, leaving one free for system/other. Big difference.

Of course, no plugins on the master fader.

My 2008 MP scores 459 on single-core Geekbench:
https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks/
The mini in my signature scores 1099.
The latest M1 macs, just over 1700.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:23 PM

A little more general info to consider:
1-Ozone is traditionally a "mastering" plugin, and not a "mixing" plugin to be used on lots of tracks. Its a serious cpu hog, and due to latency, not a plugin to use while recording anything.
2-Amp sims are also notorious cpu hogs, so either freeze or commit them as you go(so you only have 1-2 working at any given moment).
3-I suspect that your computer is too old for running any current/recent version of PT(follow the Learn & Support link above to see the compatibility grid). Just because its "patched" to work with Mojave, doesn't mean its compatible with Pro Tools.
4-just my opinion, but I would remove the pair of 2GB RAM sticks and try adding pairs of 4GB sticks that match what you have(32GB being the sweet spot).
5-One method of troubleshooting for errors is to move all 3rd party plugins out of the Plugins folder and test.
6-re the SATA drive your sessions are on, did you post the exact make and model number? There are many 5400 rpm and 5900 rpm SATA drives on the market and none of those belong in a recording computer(though they are fine for backups)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave