Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2009, 06:45 PM

Default Transfering to Addictive Drums from EZDRUMMER

After playing with the Addictive Drums demo for about a week now, I have decided to make the shift from EZdrummer. Right now I have 7 songs that im currently mixing. If possible, I would like to know if there's a way to have Addictive Drums read the MIDI thats already in place from EZD. Re doing all the drum tracks would be a nightmare! Can someone please explain how I would go about doing this within pro tools? Mucho Appreciated!

Justin
Old 05-26-2009, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Transfering to Addictive Drums from EZDRUMMER

In my opinion, if your working with MIDI drums, its best to work with the midi data outside the drum software. Not sure if your working like this or not. Some might not agree, but I end up using that midi data later for some reason or another. I often include it if I'm sending something for someone to mix. That way they can sub out drums, if they don't like the sounds, or use them to add support stuff sounds. I just feel its good practice to keep all your midi date in ProTool. Nice and organized.

If you have midi data inside your EZDrummer and and you want to use it with Addictive Drums, extract the midi to midi files in ProTools. I like to keep all relative data on separate midi tracks. Kick on one, Snare on another, Highhat on another, and so on. Just paste the whole drum performance to several tracks and delete the hits that don't go with the drum that midi track is assigned to. If you set it up like this, and you want to move to another drum software, or use expand or structure, you can always just drag the notes up and down on the midi piano, if the hit you want it not by chance triggered by the same note on the midi piano, as it was in the other software. By and large, with the exception of highhat and sometimes snare, there are common notes (triggers) that are used for certain drums, and most software stick to these relative guidelines.

I doubt you would need to redo anything. You might just have to fine tune things a little. Maybe adjust some velocities. Very minor stuff, if you feel like your gonna be getting a better drum sound.

Good luck!
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs