Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-11-2021, 03:26 PM
Riquier Riquier is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portugal
Posts: 89
Default Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Hey there folks,

I know a lot has been talked about regarding this topic but I found myself in the middle of a conundrum. My old iMac just died (GPU) and I don't think it'll be worth to repair it. That leaves me the option to either buy an intel-based mac (more expensive and soon to be outdated) or a new M1, even though PT isn't yet supported officially.
I work mostly (90%) in music. Is anyone ACTUALLY using an M1 as their main machine without any major hassles?

Cheers

R.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-11-2021, 03:44 PM
Sardi Sardi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Perth
Posts: 2,213
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

The big question, what interface are you using? If drivers aren’t available, then no, it’s not going to work.

PT is unsupported but working. Plugins? Some yes, some no.

You could buy a cheap second hand machine to keep you running until everything is supported and then buy an M1 machine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2021, 04:16 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 21,152
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Big question here would be: how long you are prepared to wait until your new system is operational? If you need to work on it next week, you better buy some old Intel hardware. Apple Silicon is not there yet
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-11-2021, 04:57 PM
Obsidian Dragon Obsidian Dragon is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,033
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

The amount of RAM is also an issue. The M1's currently only come with 8 or 16 GB of RAM and cannot be upgraded. If you are heavy into VI's then the current crop of M1 machines are probably not a viable option.
__________________
Obsidian Dragon
MacBookPro14,3 - Intel Core i7 3.1 GHz, 16 GB
MacOS 11.3.1 running Protools 2021.3.1
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-11-2021, 05:51 PM
Riquier Riquier is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portugal
Posts: 89
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Thanks for the input folks.
All valid points.

So the interface(s) are an Apollo 8XP and an Apollo Twin MK2. I'd buy the 16GB model and no, I'm not into a lot of VIs - I'm mostly mixing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-11-2021, 05:55 PM
Riquier Riquier is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portugal
Posts: 89
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
The big question, what interface are you using? If drivers aren’t available, then no, it’s not going to work.

PT is unsupported but working. Plugins? Some yes, some no.

You could buy a cheap second hand machine to keep you running until everything is supported and then buy an M1 machine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 'cheap' option here would be fixing my iMac's GPU and carry on for a few more months or however long it's going to take until the M1s are 100% compatible with PT and the majority of plugins.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-11-2021, 06:01 PM
SplitTheDifferenceAudio SplitTheDifferenceAudio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Algonquin, IL
Posts: 23
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

I just bought a 12 core 2013 mac pro trashcan on ebay for $1700. Lowest I've seen them. I figure this will hold me over a couple years till everything is running on m1's. So far everything is running fine on Big Sur.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-11-2021, 06:25 PM
Obsidian Dragon Obsidian Dragon is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,033
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riquier View Post
Thanks for the input folks.
All valid points.

So the interface(s) are an Apollo 8XP and an Apollo Twin MK2. I'd buy the 16GB model and no, I'm not into a lot of VIs - I'm mostly mixing.
If you have a decent monitor, keyboard, and mouse, the 16 GB M1 Mac Mini might be a the least expensive way to go. The 16 GB M1 MacBook Air and 16GB M1 MacBook Pro are more expensive but have a laptop form factor (including keyboard, trackpad, and monitor). Again, make sure the plugins you use are compatible with Big Sur and the M1 processor. I haven't kept up with the Universal Audio Apollo and UAD plugins for compatibility recently.
__________________
Obsidian Dragon
MacBookPro14,3 - Intel Core i7 3.1 GHz, 16 GB
MacOS 11.3.1 running Protools 2021.3.1

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 04-11-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2021, 06:37 PM
Riquier Riquier is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portugal
Posts: 89
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
If you have a decent monitor keyboard and mouse, the 16 GB M1 Mac Mini might be a the lest expensive way to go. The 16 GB M1 MacBook Air and 16GB M1 MacBook Pro are more expensive but have a laptop form factor (including keyboard, trackpad, and monitor). Again, make sure the plugins you use are compatible with Big Sur and the M1 processor. I haven't kept up with the Universal Audio Apollo and UAD plugins for compatibility recently.
Mouse and keyboard are not a problem :)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-12-2021, 04:12 AM
Mark Ziebarth Mark Ziebarth is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1998
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 816
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riquier View Post
Thanks for the input folks.
All valid points.

So the interface(s) are an Apollo 8XP and an Apollo Twin MK2. I'd buy the 16GB model and no, I'm not into a lot of VIs - I'm mostly mixing.

AFAIK Universal Audio drivers for M1 are not ready yet.

Best

Mark
__________________
Mac Pro 2010 3.66 GHz six Cores, HD Native, 192 I/O, Avid Dock, Artist Mix and Pro Tools Ultimate
Mac mini 2018 i5 64 GB RAM, RME Fireface, Pro Tools 2020, Euphonix MC Control
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heartbleed security risk? Erik318 General Discussion 13 04-16-2014 04:09 PM
Mac Desktop in Cold Garage a risk?? avalle1 Getting Started 7 11-27-2013 07:37 AM
Should I risk bumping up to 7.3.x? Are you happy? johnnyv Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 7 07-16-2007 09:58 AM
MB died...should I risk it? Harpo 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 33 03-06-2007 06:50 PM
Monitor Output, is there a risk of a short? apetrocelli 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 11 12-17-2002 06:30 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com