Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2006, 10:03 AM

Default PT 7.0 - Dual Core Bug Report

so I just built a new pc, basically an Asus A8N-E, AMD 64 x2 4400, Corsair 1 x 2 GB ddr 400 beast.

Everything seems to be working fine except I get the ugly "Send Error to Microsft" window when I open certain files. Of course this shuts down PT. I have narrowed the error down to only files that are heavy, intense, lots of plugs and audio.

While troubleshooting I determined that by switching my RTAS processor to 1 (instead of 2) those files will open fine. I can switch the RTAS proc back to 2 and work fine with no issues. However, I cannot leave it set to 2 and open these files. Nice to have a "work around" but I'd like to figure out why I can't just leave it at 2 (even while opening these files).

Second piece and I think somehow the two are related. In my Task Manager processes, the "System" process is idling around 30 - 40 CPU (not the System Idle Process)! Shouldn't this be 0 most times?

Is there some correlation there? I've done all the basic troubleshooting, this is a new build as of two weeks ago, I've just been trying to work through these issues. Any thoughts would be helpful as I'm throughly confused at this point. Is there something weird set in my bios (I made no changes to it)?
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
www.doylemusic.com
Old 02-06-2006, 10:19 AM

Default Re: PT 7.0/ PC issue any ideas

Can you Imprt Session Data... a track at a time from those sessions... and what plug-ins are on the track which causes the crash?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-06-2006, 10:23 AM

I can import the tracks one at a time and rebuild the session; however once it has been rebuilt, I can mix with it, save it and shut down, then it will not work the next time. The strange thing is I can open another session (hip/hop stuff) with less tracks (same plugs) and it works fine. Only seems to be big sessions, so I can't limit it down to a specific plug(s).
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
www.doylemusic.com
Old 02-06-2006, 01:03 PM

Is there any difference regarding the way you save your sessions? Do they open OK before you have closed PTLE and try to open them again? I have a bunch of sessions like that.

If so:

Try clicking "Maximize" (on the upper right corner of the screen ) before you save. Then close PTLE7 and open the session the same way from the start, opening PTE first an making it "Maximized". Not in "minimized" two screens (if you have two, dunno) . This is worth trying anyay, no matter how many displays you have.

Because:

If I save from the double screen ("minimized"... some logic here) view, my sessions will not open in the same view after closing PTLE and opening it again uasing the same view. Strange but that΄s how it goes over here. They open fine in "Maximized" , one screen view even after closing PTLE, no matter how they were saved.

All these sessions open without probs if I don΄t close PTLE. I can imprt all the tracks to a new session,too.... well, ST2 was a problem in ONE session. Just one, I can usually import ST2 tracks. The one it gave me probs was a heavy session indeed.... but it opens fine in "maximized" view.

Anything similar going on there?

- i7 520 @ 3.6 GHz / P6T / XP32 / PTLE 8.01 . PT9 on Snow .
- PTLE8 on a macbook.

- And a bunch of miscellaneous obsolete hardware from the past. Like Mix ++++ 64 i/o with Control/24

I`m In The Band: www.ozofficial.com
My guitars are in tune : http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php
Old 02-06-2006, 01:49 PM

If I understand you I believe this problem is independant of the way I have my windows set. PT typically opens accross two monitors; however, the Mix and Edit windows do not open the way I normally set them up. I have to re-position them. I have saved with them repositioned and with them not, same results. Seems more tied to the RTAS proc thing, not the window layout.
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
www.doylemusic.com
Old 02-06-2006, 07:02 PM

Doyle,

Looks like I have a nearly identical computer (same specs as the first line in your post). What I have found is that if I just change the hardware buffer size to anything but the initial setting upon opening PTLE 7 things run as they should. It's almost a ritual now; open Settings>Playback Engine>HW Buffer, change 1024 to 512 close, then 512 to 1024 for mixing or 64 for recording and all is stable and runs well. The thing I found out about doing this is that prior to going through this ritual, task manager shows all the load on one processor and nothing on the other. After the ritual, the cpu load is split much more evenly between the two. This is with 2 Processors selected in PLLE 7.

I have submitted a bug report to Digi about this but have heard nothing back. Maybe it's only a problem with Athlon 64 X2's ???

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 02-07-2006, 05:22 AM

doylemusic,

I built the EXACT same computer as you and I am experiencing the exact same problem.

I'm wondering if you are also experiencing the other issues I'm having with scrubbing audio? I can't scrub audio until I change the playback buffer size and then it can scrub audio. I'm also wondering if you are running into any playback issues. I sometimes need to press play several times before it will play the audio...

I hope Digi will attempt to troubleshoot the issues with this motherboard/Dual Core CPU combination!
Old 02-07-2006, 05:29 AM

I too have just built the same machine and have the EXACT problem. Once the Buffer size is changed, then changed back all works great. If I dont change it first then I get the Interrupts error.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:34 AM

Wow, It's good to hear (kinda) that I'm not alone. I have not toyed with the buffer size, I'll play with it today. I don't do any audio scrubbing, so I haven't run into it there. Let me know if you guys find a fix/cure.
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
www.doylemusic.com
Old 02-07-2006, 07:27 AM

Would be a great idea if you changed the name of the thread to something like "Dual Core Bug Report" so that Digi can see it and respond.

Allen