Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 06:49 PM

Default next step?

Hi gang, okay, I currently have PTLE 6.4 and a p4 set up with a D865PERL motherboard. i was wondering what I should spend my money on next to get more performance. I'm happy with everything 6.4 offers me (except delay comp) so I'd only be interested in 7 for the plug in power increase.

Should I stick with what I have and get PT7 or should I get the current allenstein recommended mobo and processor or should I wait and see what the next generation of allenstein is or should I wait to see what increases P4 users report with PT7? Will hyperthreading make all the difference?

Money is an issue, I don't really want to spend more than £200 (the cost of the current allenstein mobo and processor) but I suppose I could stretch a little. If I get the allenstein, will I regret it in a few months?

Sorry for all the badly worded questions. It's 3am here.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Re: next step?

Quote:
Hi gang, okay, I currently have PTLE 6.4 and a p4 set up with a D865PERL motherboard. i was wondering what I should spend my money on next to get more performance. I'm happy with everything 6.4 offers me (except delay comp) so I'd only be interested in 7 for the plug in power increase.

Should I stick with what I have and get PT7 or should I get the current allenstein recommended mobo and processor or should I wait and see what the next generation of allenstein is or should I wait to see what increases P4 users report with PT7? Will hyperthreading make all the difference?

Money is an issue, I don't really want to spend more than £200 (the cost of the current allenstein mobo and processor) but I suppose I could stretch a little. If I get the allenstein, will I regret it in a few months?

Don't buy anything that is not dual core. HT is NOT dual core.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:44 AM

So is it still a case of dual core AMDs or are dual Pentiums okay? Baring in mind that if I buy a new mobo and processor I WILL NOT be buying PT7, I only want a performance boost.

Can anyone recommend which mobo and processor to get? Which have been tried?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Don't buy anything that is not dual core. HT is NOT dual core.
Justin,

I sent you an e-mail a few days ago. Shoot me a note so I can talk to you about your system specs. Cool? Thanks man.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:24 PM

bump
Old 10-18-2005, 05:39 PM

bump